The implementation of irrigation system in Tanzania under development AID project conditions
Treść / Zawartość
This paper presents the process and results of the implementation of the irrigation system on meadows in Tanzania. The irrigation system was im- plemented in 2010 and 2012 as an element of two development projects co-financed by Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Poland un- der the Polish Development Programme. During the first phase ( 2010) the earth water reservoir and the canal carrying water on a meadow were built and the irrigation system based on Amirite sprinklers was installed . In 2012, the concrete water tanks were built , and two hose reel irrigators were bought and put in action . The i mplementation of the irrigation system allowed for a significant increase in the production of hay. In the analyzed time period (from 2008 to 2012) the increase in yields of hay from 34.7 tons to 237.3 tons was noticed. The resulting implementation of the irrigation project increase hay production should be considered valuable, especially under the conditions of advancing climate change and its potential impact on the reduction of agricultural production in Tanzania.
- ICID. Tanzania country profile. Ava ilable online at: http://www.icid.org 2013.
- Mbiha E. Aid Dependence and poverty allevia tion effects of alternative aid programs The case of Tanzania. The Global Development Network, New Delhi, India, 2009, pp.:80.
- Mwakalila S. Socio-economic impact of irrigated agriculture in Mbarali District of south-west Tanzania. Physics and chemistry of the Earth. 31 (2006), pp.: 876-884.
- Rajabu K. The role of participatory problem analysis in performance improvement and sustainable management of rainwater harvesting (RWH) systems: A case study of Makanya village,Tanzania. Physics and Chemistryof the Earth, vol. 30, 2005, pp.: 832–839.
- Rotarou E. Ueta K. Foreign Aid and Economic Development: Tanzania`s Experience with ODA.The Kyoto Economic Review 78 (2), 2009. pp.:157-189.
- Rowhania P. Lobellb D. Lindermanc M. Rama nkuttya N. Climate variability and crop production in Tanzania. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology vol. 151, 2011, pp.: 449–460.
- Ponsensb J. Hansona J. Schellbergb J. Moeselerb B.M. Characterization of phenotypic diversity, yield and response to drought stress in a collection of Rhodes grass (Chloris gayana Kunth)accessions. Field Crops Research vol. 118, 2010, pp.: 57–72