Clinical observations on the course of oxytocin-or prostaglandin E2/oxytocin-induced parturition in mares
Treść / Zawartość
The objective of this study was to compare the course of parturitions induced with sole oxytocin with those induced with the combination of intracervical prostaglandin E2 jelly and oxytocin. For this purpose 13 mares in advanced pregnancy were allocated to the groups pretreated with either intracervical PGE2 (experimental group) or saline (control group) two hours before intravenous oxytocin (5 IU) administration. The mares were compared with respect to cervical dilation diameter (CDD) 20 min. after oxytocin injection. Time intervals from the first oxytocin dose to: the first external signs of parturition, the chorioallantois rupture, the delivery of a foal and time interval from the delivery of a foal to the placenta separation were measured. Cervical dilatation diameter as well as proportion of mares with cervical dilatation > 20 cm were significantly higher in the group of PGE2 treated mares comparing with control group (p = 0.0115 and p = 0.0490, respectively). All time intervals measured were statistically insignificant for both groups of mares, however time intervals from the first oxytocin dose to the first external signs of parturition, to the allantochorion rupture and to the delivery of a foal, were very close to the significance level (α = 0.05). To conclude, PGE/oxytocin combination has positive influence on the preparation of the uterine cervix to parturition. Moreover, it seems that PGE2 pretreatment reduced total oxytocin dose for successful parturition induction and shortened time elapsing between the first oxytocin dose and the delivery of a foal what is crucial for foal’s safety.
- Alm CC, Sullivan JJ, First NL (1974) Induction of premature parturition by parenteral administration of dexamethoasone in the mare. J Am Vet Med Assoc 165: 721-722.
- Alm CC, Sullivan JJ, First NL (1975) The effect of corticosteroid (dexamethasone), progesterone, oestrogen and prostaglandine F2α on gestation length in normal and ovariectomized mares. J Reprod Fertil Suppl 23: 637-640.
- Bennett DG (1988) Artificially controlled versus spontaneous parturition in the mare. Comp Cont Educ Pract Vet 10: 506-516.
- Bernstein EP (1993) Therapeutic considerations for preinduction cervical ripening withy intracervical prostaglandin E2 gel. J Reprod Med Suppl 38: 73-77.
- Camillo F, Marmorini P, Romagnoli S, Cela M, Duchamp G, Palmer E (2000) Clinical studies on daily low dose oxytocin in mares at term. Equine Vet J 32: 307-10.
- Chan LY, Fu L, Leung TN, Wong SF, Lau TK (2004) Obstetric outcomes after cervical ripening by multiple doses of vaginal prostaglandin E2. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 83: 70-74.
- Chaudhuri S, Mitra SN, Biswas PK, Bhattacharyya S (2006) Premature rupture of membranes at term: immediate induction with PGE2 gel compared with delayed induction with oxytocin. J Obstet Gynecol India 56: 224-229.
- Denison FC, Calder AA, Kelly RW (1999) The action of prostaglandin E2 on the human cervix: stimulation of interleukin 8 and inhibition of secretory leukocyte protease inhibitor. Am J Obstet Gynecol 180: 614-620.
- Ferguson JE II, Ueland FR, Stevenson DK, Ueland K (1988) Oxytocin-induced labor characteristics and uterine activity after preinduction cervical priming with prostaglandin E2 intracervical gel. Obstet Gynecol 72: 739-745.
- First NL, Alm CC (1977) Dexamethasone - induced parturition in Pony mares. J Anim Sci 44: 1072-1075.
- Fowden AL, Forhead AJ, Ousey JC (2008) The Endocrinology of equine parturition. Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 116: 393-403.
- Hillman RB (1975) Induction of parturition in mares. J Reprod Fertil Suppl 23: 641-644.
- Jeffcott LB, Rossdale PD (1977) A critical review of current methods for induction of parturition in the mare. Equine Vet J 9: 208-215.
- Kelly RW (1996) Inflammatory mediators and parturition. Rev Reprod 1: 89-96.
- LeBlanc MM (1988) Induction of parturition in the mare: significance of prepartum mammary secretions. Proc Soc Therio 85-88.
- Ley WB, Bowen, JM Purswell, BJ Irby M, Greive-Crandell K (1993) The sensitivity, specificity and predictive value of measuring calcium carbonate in mares; prepartum mammary secretion. Theriogenology 40: 189-198.
- Ley WB, Crisman MV, Jack NE (1994) Calcium carbonate content in pre-foaling mammary secretions and induction of foaling. Soc Theriogenol Proc 138-146.
- Macpherson ML, Chaffin MK, Carroll GL, Jorgensen J, Arrott C, Varner DD, Blanchard TL (1977) Three methods of oxytocin - induced parturition and their effects on foals. J Am Vet Med Assoc 210: 799-803.
- Martens RJ (1982) Evaluation of Neonatal Foal Distress. Comp Cont Educ Pract Vet 4: 23-34.
- Meyers SA, LeBlanc MM (1991) Induction of parturition: Clinical considerations for successful foalings. Vet Medicine 86: 117-121.
- Ousey JC, Dudan F, Rossdale PD (1984) Preliminary studies of mammary secretions in the mare to assess foetal readiness for birth. Equine Vet J 16: 259-263.
- Pashen RL (1980) Low doses of oxytocin can induce foaling at term. Equine Vet J 12: 85-87.
- Purvis AD (1977) The induction of labor in mares as a routine breeding procedure. In Proc 23rd Annu Conv AAEP, pp 145-160.
- Rigby S, Love C, Carpenter K, Varner D, Blanchard T (1998) Use of prostaglandin E2 to ripen the cervix of the mare prior to induction of parturition. Theriogenology 50: 897-904.
- Sennström MB, Ekman G, Westergren-Thorsson G, Malmstro ¨m A, Byström B, Endresen U, Mlambo N, Norman M, Stäbi B, Brauner A (2000) Human cervical ripening, an inflammatory process mediated by cytokines. Mol Hum Reprod 6: 375-381.
- Snegovskikh V, Park JS, Norvitz ER (2006) Endocrinology of parturition Endocrinol Metab Clin N Am 35: 173-191.
- Stjernholm YM, Sahlin L, Eriksson HA, Byström BE, Stenlund PM, Ekman GE (1999) Cervical ripening after treatment with prostaglandin E2 or antiprogestin (RU486). Possible mechanisms in relation to gonadal steroids. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 84: 83-88.
- Vandeplassche M (1980) Obstetrician’s view of the physiology of equine parturition and dystocia. Equine Vet J 12: 45-49.
- Vandeplassche M (1987) The pathogenesis of dystocia and fetal malformation in the horse. J Reprod Fertil Suppl 35: 547-552.
- Volkmann DH, Bertschinger HJ, Schulman ML (1995) The effect of prostaglandin E2 on the cervices of dioestrous and prepartum mares. Reprod Domest Anim 30: 240-244.
- Witkowski M (2007) Observations on oxytocin-induced parturitions in mares. Med Weter 63: 209-212