Prenatal ethanol intoxication and maternal intubation stress alter cell survival and apoptosis in the postnatal development of rat hippocampus
It is well known that the fetal ethanol exposure and prenatal stress may have adverse effects on brain development. Interestingly, some morphological and functional recovery from their teratogenic effects that take place during brain maturation. However, mechanisms that underlie this recovery are not fully elucidated. The aim of this study was to examine whether the postnatal attenuation of fetal alcohol – and maternal stress-induced morphological and functional deficits correlates with compensatory changes in the expression/activation of the brain proteins involved in inflammation, cell survival and apoptosis. In this project, we investigated the hippocampus which belongs to the brain regions most susceptible to the adverse effects of prenatal ethanol exposure. Pregnant rat dams were administered ethanol (A) or isocaloric glucose solution (IC) by a gastric intubation during gestational days 7-20. The pure control group received ad libitum laboratory chow and water with no other treatment. The hippocampi of fetal-ethanol and control pups were examined at the postnatal day (PD)1, PD10, PD30 and PD60. Moderate fetal-ethanol exposure and prenatal intubation stress caused a significant increase in molecular factors relating to inflammation (iNOS) and cell survival/apoptosis pathways (PTEN, GSK-3 and ERK) at birth, with a rapid compensation from these developmental deficits upon removal of alcohol at PD10. Indeed, an increase in ERK1/2 and JNK1/2 activation at PD30 was observed with ethanol consumption. It indicates that the recovery process in A and IC brains started soon after the birth upon the ethanol and stressor withdrawal and continued until the adulthood.
- Department of Medical Biology, Faculty of Medicine, Bezmialem Vakif University, Istanbul, Turkey
- Department of Medical Biology, Faculty of Medicine, Bezmialem Vakif University, Istanbul, Turkey
- Department of Psychiatry, Faculty of Medicine, Bezmialem Vakif University, Istanbul, Turkey
- Department of Medical Biology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Health Sciences, Istanbul, Turkey
- Department of Biological Sciences, Faculty of Science and Arts, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey
- Akbar M, Baick J, Calderon F, Wen ZM, Kim HY (2006) Ethanol promotes neuronal apoptosis by inhibiting phosphatidylserine accumulation. J Neurosci Res 83: 432–440.
- Agoglia AE, Sharko AC, Psilos KE, Holstein SE, Reid GT, Hodge CW (2015) Alcohol alters the activation of ERK1/2, a functional regulator of binge alcohol drinking in adult C57BL/6J mice. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 39: 463–475.
- Alessandrini A, Namura S, Moskowitz MA, Bonventre JV (1999) MEK1 protein kinase inhibition protects against damage resulting from focal cerebral ischemia. PNAS 96: 12866–12869.
- Blanco AM, Pascual M, Valles SL, Guerri C (2004) Ethanol-induced iNOS and COX-2 expression in cultured astrocytes via NF-κB. NeuroReport 15: 681–685.
- Bonthius DJ, Tzouras G, Karacay B, Mahoney J, Hutton A, McKim R, Pantazis NJ (2002) Deficiency of neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS) worsens alcohol-induced microencephaly and neuronal loss in developing mice. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 138: 45–59.
- Borges TJ, Wieten L, van Herwijnen MJC, Broere F, van der Zee R, Bonorino C, van Eden W (2012) The anti-inflammatory mechanisms of Hsp70. Front Immunol 3: 95.
- Cartwright MM, Tessmer LL, Smith SM (1998) Ethanol-induced neural crest apoptosis is coincident with their endogenous death, but is mechanistically distinct. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 22: 142–149.
- Cavigelli M, Dolfi F, Claret FX, Karin M (1995) Induction of c-fos expression through JNK-mediated TCF/Elk-1 phosphorylation. EMBO J 14: 5957–5964.
- Chandler LJ, Sutton G, Norwood D, Sumners C, Crews FT (1997) Chronic ethanol increases N-methyl-D-aspartate-stimulated nitric oxide formation but not receptor density in cultured cortical neurons. Mol Pharmacol 51: 733–740.
- Cherian PP, Schenker S, Henderson GI (2008) Ethanol-mediated DNA damage and PARP-1 apoptotic responses in cultured fetal cortical neurons. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 32: 1884–1892.
- Choi HS, Ahn JH, Park JH, Won MH, Lee CH (2016) Age-dependent changes in the protein expression levels of Redd1 and mTOR in the gerbil hippocampus during normal aging. Mol Med Rep 13: 2409–2414.
- Cole AR (2012) GSK3 as a sensor determining cell fate in the brain. Front Mol Neurosci 5: 4.
- Costa ET, Savage DD, Valenzuela CF (2000) A review of the effects of prenatal or early postnatal ethanol exposure on brain ligand-gated ion channels. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 24: 706–715.
- de la Monte SM, Ganju N, Banerjee K, Brown NV, Luong T, Wands JR (2000) Partial rescue of ethanol-induced neuronal apoptosis by growth factor activation of phosphoinositol-3-kinase. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 24: 716–726.
- de Licona HK, Karacay B, Mahoney J, McDonald E, Luang T, Bonthius DJ (2009) A single exposure to alcohol during brain development induces microencephaly and neuronal losses in genetically susceptible mice, but not in wild type mice. Neurotoxicol 30: 459–470.
- Dikranian K, Qin YQ, Labruyere J, Nemmers B, Olney JW (2005) Ethanol-induced neuroapoptosis in the developing rodent cerebellum and related brain stem structures. Dev Brain Res 155: 1–13.
- Dizon ML, Brown LA, Black SM (2004) Brain nitric oxide synthase levels increase in response to antenatal ethanol exposure. Alcohol Alcohol 39: 101–105.
- Dursun I, Jakubowska-Doğru E, Uzbay T (2006) Effects of prenatal exposure to alcohol on activity, anxiety, motor coordination, and memory in young adult Wistar rats. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 85: 345–355.
- Elibol-Can B, Dursun I, Telkes I, Kilic E, Canan S, Jakubowska-Doğru E (2014a) Examination of Age-dependent effects of fetal ethanol exposure on behavior, hippocampal cell counts, and doublecortin immunoreactivity in rats. Dev Neurobiol 74: 498–513.
- Elibol-Can B, Kilic E, Yuruker S, Jakubowska-Doğru E (2014b) Investigation into the effects of prenatal alcohol exposure on postnatal spine development and expression of synaptophysin and PSD95 in rat hippocampus. Int J Dev Neurosci 33: 106–114.
- Feldman PL, Griffith OW, Stuehr DJ (1993) The surprising life of nitric-oxide. Chem Eng News 71: 26–38.
- Freund G (1994) Apoptosis and gene expression: perspectives on alcohol-induced brain damage. Alcohol 11: 385–387.
- Fu XL, Guo Z, Gao C, Chu QY, Li JH, Ma HY, Shu GM (2016) Long-term alcohol-induced activation of mammalian target of rapamycin is a key risk factor of epilepsy. Med Sci Monit 22: 3975–3980.
- Ge Y, Belcher SM, Pierce DR, Light KE (2004) Altered expression of Bcl2, Bad and Bax mRNA occurs in the rat cerebellum within hours after ethanol exposure on postnatal day 4 but not on postnatal day 9. Brain Res Mol Brain Res 129: 124–134.
- Goodlett CR, Horn KH, Zhou FC (2005) Alcohol teratogenesis: Mechanisms of damage and strategies for intervention. Exp Biol Med 230: 394–406.
- Gu JG, Tamura M, Yamada K (1998) Tumor suppressor PTEN inhibits integrin- and growth factor-mediated mitogen-activated protein (MAP) kinase signaling pathways. J Cell Biol 143: 1375–1383.
- Guerri C (2002) Mechanisms involved in central nervous system dysfunctions induced by prenatal ethanol exposure. Neurotox Res 4: 327–335.
- Hall MN (2008) mTOR-what does it do? Transplant Proc 40: S5–8.
- Heaton MB, Moore DB, Paiva M, Madorsky I, Mayer J, Shaw G (2003) The role of neurotrophic factors, apoptosis-related proteins, and endogenous antioxidants in the differential temporal vulnerability of neonatal cerebellum to ethanol. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 27: 657–669.
- Heaton MB, Paiva M, Siler-Marsiglio K (2011) Ethanol influences on Bax translocation, mitochondrial membrane potential, and reactive oxygen species generation are modulated by vitamin E and brain-derived neurotrophic factor. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 35: 1122–1133.
- Holownia A, Ledig M, Copin JC, Tholey G (1995) The effect of ethanol on Hsp70 in cultured rat glial-cells and in brain-areas of rat pups exposed to ethanol in-utero. Neurochem Res 20: 875–878.
- Hsiao SH, Parrish AR, Nahm SS, Abbott LC, McCool BA, Frye GD (2002) Effects of early postnatal ethanol intubation on GABAergic synaptic proteins. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 138: 177–185.
- Ieraci A, Herrera DG (2007) Single alcohol exposure in early life damages hippocampal stem/progenitor cells and reduces adult neurogenesis. Neurobiol Dis 26: 597–605.
- Ikonomidou C, Bittigau P, Ishimaru MJ, Wozniak DF, Koch C, Genz K, Price MT, Stefovska V, Horster F, Tenkova T, Dikranian K, Olney JW (2000) Ethanol-induced apoptotic neurodegeneration and fetal alcohol syndrome. Science 287: 1056–1060.
- Irving EA, Bamford M (2002) Role of mitogen- and stress-activated kinases in ischemic injury. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 22: 631–647.
- Jacobs JS, Miller MW (2001) Proliferation and death of cultured fetal neocortical neurons: effects of ethanol on the dynamics of cell growth. J Neurocytol 30: 391–401.
- Jakubowska-Dogru E, Elibol B, Dursun I, Yürüker S (2017) Effects of prenatal binge-like ethanol exposure and maternal stress on postnatal morphological development of hippocampal neurons in rats. Int J Dev Neurosci 61: 40–50.
- Jia N, Sun Q, Su Q, Dang S, Chen G (2016) Taurine promotes cognitive function in prenatally stressed juvenile rats via activating the Akt-CREB-PGC1alpha pathway. Redox Biol 10: 179–190.
- Kalluri HS, Ticku MK (2002) Ethanol-mediated inhibition of mitogen-activated protein kinase phosphorylation in mouse brain. Eur J Pharmacol 439: 53–58.
- Karacay B, Mahoney J, Plume J, Bonthius DJ (2015) Genetic absence of nNOS worsens fetal alcohol effects in mice. II: microencephaly and neuronal losses. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 39: 221–231.
- Kim MY, Zhang T, Kraus WL (2005) Pol(ADP-ribosyl)ation by PARP-1: PAR-laying NAD in to nuclear signal. Genes Dev 19: 1951–1967.
- Kim WY, Wang X, Wu Y, Doble BW, Patel S, Woodgett JR, Snider WD (2009) GSK-3 is a master regulator of neural progenitor homeostasis. Nat Neurosci 12: 1390–1397.
- Kimura KA, Brien JF (1998) Hippocampal nitric oxide synthase in the fetal guinea pig: effects of chronic prenatal ethanol exposure. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 106: 39–46.
- Komada M, Hara N, Kawachi S, Kawachi K, Kagawa N, Nagao T, Ikeda Y (2017) Mechanisms underlying neuro-inflammation and neurodevelopmental toxicity in the mouse neocortex following prenatal exposure to ethanol. Sci Rep 7: 4934.
- Kotch LE, Chen SY, Sulik KK (1995) Ethanol-induced teratogenesis: free radical damage as a possible mechanism. Teratology 52: 128–136.
- Kuan CY, Roth KA, Flavell RA, Rakic P (2000) Mechanisms of programmed cell death in the developing brain. Trends Neurosci 23: 291–297.
- Lallemandmezger V, Pinto M, Rallu M, Trigon S, Morange M (1993) The cellular heat-shock response. Perspective Biol 209–216.
- Lee DY (2015) Roles of mTOR Signaling in Brain Development. Exp Neurobiol 24: 177–185.
- Lemoine P, Harousseau H, Borteyru JP, Menuet JC (2003) Children of alcoholic parents - Observed anomalies: Discussion of 127 cases (Reprinted from Quest Med, vol 8, pg 476–482, 1968). Ther Drug Monit 25: 132–136.
- Light KE, Brown DP, Newton BW, Belcher SM, Kane CJM (2002) Ethanol-induced alterations of neurotrophin receptor expression on Purkinje cells in the neonatal rat cerebellum. Brain Res 924: 71–81.
- Liu L, Cao JX, Sun B, Li HL, Xia Y, Wu Z, Tang CL, Hu J (2010) Mesenchymal stem cells inhibition of chronic ethanol-induced oxidative damage via upregulation of phosphatidylinositol-3-kinase/Akt and modulation of extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1/2 activation in PC12 cells and neurons. Neuroscience 167: 1115–1124.
- Liu Y, Chen G, Ma C, Bower KA, Xu M, Fan Z, Shi X, Ke ZJ, Luo J (2009) Overexpression of glycogen synthase kinase 3beta sensitizes neuronal cells to ethanol toxicity. J Neurosci Res 87: 2793–2802.
- Luo J (2012) Mechanisms of ethanol-induced death of cerebellar granule cells. Cerebellum 11: 145–154.
- Luo J (2014) Autophagy and ethanol neurotoxicity. Autophagy 10: 2099–2108.
- Michaelis ML, Michaelis EK (1994) Effects of Ethanol on Nmda Receptors in Brain - Possibilities for Mg2+-Ethanol Interactions. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 18: 1069–1075.
- Miller WR, Montgomery HA (1992) Treatment for alcohol-abusing workers. N Engl J Med 326: 1429; author reply 1430–1431.
- Mooney SM, Miller MW (2011) Role of neurotrophins on postnatal neurogenesis in the thalamus: prenatal exposure to ethanol. Neurosci 179: 256–266.
- Muyllaert D, Kremer A, Jaworski T, Borghgraef P, Devijver H, Croes S, Dewachter I, van Leuven F (2008) Glycogen synthase kinase-3 beta, or a link between amyloid and tau pathology? Genes Brain Behav 7: 57–66.
- Neasta J, Ben Hamida S, Yowell QV, Carnicella S, Ron D (2011) AKT signaling pathway in the nucleus accumbens mediates excessive alcohol drinking behaviors. Biol Psychiatry 70: 575–582.
- Ning K, Pei L, Liao M, Liu B, Zhang Y, Jiang W, Mielke JG, Li L, Chen YH, El-Hayek YH, Fehlings MG, Zhang X, Liu F, Eubanks J, Wan Q (2004) Dual neuroprotective signaling mediated by downregulating two distinct phosphatase activities of PTEN. J Neurochem 90: 146.
- Nixon K, Hughes PD, Amsel A, Leslie SW (2004) NMDA receptor subunit expression after combined prenatal and postnatal exposure to ethanol. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 28: 105–112.
- Olney JW, Tenkova T, Dikranian K, Qin YQ, Labruyere J, Ikonomidou C (2002) Ethanol-induced apoptotic neurodegeneration in the developing C57BL/6 mouse brain. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 133: 115–126.
- Ramachandran V, Perez A, Chen J, Senthil D, Schenker S, Henderson GI (2001) In utero ethanol exposure causes mitochondrial dysfunction, which can result in apoptotic cell death in fetal brain: a potential role for 4-hydroxynonenal. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 25: 862–871.
- Ramachandran V, Watts LT, Maffi SK, Chen JJ, Schenker S, Henderson G (2003) Ethanol-induced oxidative stress precedes mitochondrially mediated apoptotic death of cultured fetal cortical neurons. J Neurosci Res 74: 577–588.
- Samudio-Ruiz SL, Allan AM, Valenzuela CF, Perrone-Bizzozero NI, Caldwell KK (2009) Prenatal ethanol exposure persistently impairs NMDA receptor-dependent activation of extracellular signal-regulated kinase in the mouse dentate gyrus. J Neurochem 109: 1311–1323.
- Samuels IS, Karlo JC, Faruzzi AN, Pickering K, Herrup K, Sweatt JD, Saitta SC, Landreth GE (2008) Deletion of ERK2 mitogen-activated protein kinase identifies its key roles in cortical neurogenesis and cognitive function. J Neurosci 28: 6983–6995.
- Slusarczyk J, Trojan E, Glombik K, Budziszewska B, Kubera M, Lason W, Popiolek-Barczyk K, Mika J, Wedzony K, Basta-Kaim A (2015) Prenatal stress is a vulnerability factor for altered morphology and biological activity of microglia cells. Front Cell Neurosci 9: 82.
- Soldani C, Scovassi AI (2002) Poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase-1 cleavage during apoptosis: an update. Apoptosis 7: 321–328.
- Tiwari V, Chopra K (2011) Resveratrol prevents alcohol-induced cognitive deficits and brain damage by blocking inflammatory signaling and cell death cascade in neonatal rat brain. J Neurochem 117: 678–690.
- Tran TD, Kelly SJ (2003) Critical periods for ethanol-induced cell loss in the hippocampal formation. Neurotoxicol Teratol 25: 519–528.
- Tseng PC, Huang WC, Chen CL, Sheu BS, Shan YS, Tsai CC, Wang CY, Chen SO, Hsieh CY, Lin CF (2012) Regulation of SHP2 by PTEN/AKT/GSK-3beta signaling facilitates IFN-gamma resistance in hyperproliferating gastric cancer. Immunobiol 217: 926–934.
- Walker PD, Carlock LR (1993) Timing the Excitotoxic Induction of Heat-Shock Protein-70 Transcription. Neuroreport 4: 699–702.Ward GR, Wainwright PE (1989) Prenatal ethanol and stress in mice: 1. Pup behavioral development and maternal physiology. Physiol Behav 45: 533–540.
- Weichhart T, Hengstschlager M, Linke M (2015) Regulation of innate immune cell function by mTOR. Nat Rev Immunol 15: 599–614.
- Wang P, Luo Q, Qiao H, Ding H, Cao Y, Yu J, Liu R, Zhang Q, Zhu H, Qu L (2017) The Neuroprotective effects of carvacrol on ethanol-induced hippocampal neurons impairment via the antioxidative and antiapoptotic pathways. Oxid Med Cell Longev 2017: 4079425.
- Xia Z, Dickens M, Raingeaud J, Davis RJ, Greenberg ME (1995) Opposing effects of ERK and JNK-p38 MAP kinases on apoptosis. Science 270: 1326–1331.
- Xu J, Yeon JE, Chang H, Tison G, Chen GJ, Wands J, de la Monte S (2003) Ethanol impairs insulin stimulated neuronal survival in the developing brain: role of PTEN phosphatase. J Biol Chem 278: 26929–26937.
- Xu X, Raber J, Yang D, Su B, Mucke L (1997) Dynamic regulation of c-Jun N-terminal kinase activity in mouse brain by environmental stimuli. PNAS 94: 12655–12660.
- Young C, Roth KA, Klocke BJ, West T, Holtzman DM, Labruyere J, Qin YQ, Dikranian K, Olney JW (2005) Role of caspase-3 in ethanol-induced developmental neurodegeneration. Neurobiol Dis 20: 608–614.
- Yu JS, Cui W (2016) Proliferation, survival and metabolism: the role of PI3K/AKT/mTOR signalling in pluripotency and cell fate determination. Development 143: 3050–3060.
- Yuan JH, Pan F, Chen J, Chen CE, Xie DP, Jiang XZ, Guo SJ, Zhou J (2017) Neuroprotection by plumbagin involves BDNF-TrkB-PI3K/Akt and ERK1/2/JNK pathways in isoflurane-induced neonatal rats. J Pharma Pharmacol 69: 896–906.
- Zhao B, Wang Y, Li Y, Qiao X, Yan P, Zhu Y, Lai J (2015) Differential phosphorylation of NMDAR1-CaMKII-MAPKs in the rat nucleus accumbens following chronic ethanol exposure. Neurosci Lett 597: 60–65.