Posture of adolescent male handball players compared to non-athletes
Background: The aim of the present study was to assess the posture and somatic parameters in adolescent male handball players compared to non-athletes and determine whether a relationship exists between the posture and the volume of training and/or its frequency. Material/Methods: Sixty-eight adolescent male handball players and sixty-nine non-athletes aged 15–18 were examined. The posture was evaluated by the moiré method. Results: Handball players exhibited smaller and less frequent asymmetries compared to the nonathletes. Statistically significant differences were found in the position of shoulder blades (p < 0.05) and pelvic alignment in the frontal (p < 0.001) and transverse (p < 0.05) planes. The spinal shape in the sagittal plane did not differentiate the training subjects from nonathletes. The study also revealed weak correlations between the training period and a deviation of the spinous processes (r = 0.25), a symmetry of the shoulder blades (r = 0.25), and an inclination angle of the thoracolumbar segment (r = -0.26). No correlations were observed between the training frequency and posture parameters. Conclusions: It can be concluded that despite the predominance of asymmetric elements, handball training does not negatively affect the posture in the frontal and transverse planes.
-  Boreham C, Riddoch C. The physical activity, fitness and health of children. J Sports Sci. 2001;19:915–929.
-  Penedo FJ, Dahn JR. Exercise and well-being: a review of mental and physical health benefits associated with physical activity. Curr Opin Psych. 2005;18(2):189–193.
-  Tittlbach SA, Sygusch R, Brehm W, et al. Association between physical activity and health in German adolescents. Eur J Sport Sci. 2011;11(4):283–291.
-  Vicente-Rodriguez G, Dorado C, Perez-Gomez J, Gonzalez-Henriquez JJ, Calbet JA. Enhanced bone mass and physical fitness in young female handball players. Bone 2004;35(5):1208–121.
-  Caine D, Lindner K. Overuse injuries of growing bones: the young female gymnast at risk? Physician and Sportsmedicine 1985;12:51–64.
-  Baranto A, Hellström M, Cederlund C, Nyman R, Sward L. Back pain and MRI changes in the thoracolumbar spine of top athletes in four different sports: a 15-year follow-up study. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2009;17:1125–1134.
-  Wang HK, Cochrane T. Mobility impairment, muscle imbalance, muscle weakness, scapular asymmetry and shoulder injury in elite volleyball athletes. J Sport Med Phys Fit. 2001;41:403–410.
-  Olsen OE, Myklebust G, Engebretsen L, Holme I, Bahr R. Exercises to prevent lower limb injuries in youth sports: cluster randomized controlled trial. BMJ. 2005:330–449.
-  Pieper HG. Humeral torsion in the throwing arm of handball players. Am J Sports Med. 1998;26:247–253.
-  López-Miñarro PA, Muyor JM, Alacid F. Sagittal spinal and pelvic postures of highly-trained young canoeists. J Hum Kinet. 2011;29:41–48.
-  Kums T, Ereline J, Gapeyeva H, Pääsuke M, Vain A. Spinal curvature and trunk muscle tone in rhythmic gymnasts and untrained girls. J Back Musculoskelet Rehabil. 2007;20(2–3):87–95.
-  Muyor J, López-Miñarro P, Alacid F. Spinal posture of thoracic and lumbar spine and pelvic tilt in highly trained cyclists. J Sport Sci Med. 2011:355–361.
-  Rajabi R, Doherty P, Goodarzi M, Hemayattalab R. Comparison of thoracic kyphosis in two groups of elite Greco-Roman and freestyle wrestlers and a group of non-athletic participants. Br J Sports Med. 2008;42:229–232.
-  Uetake T, Ohsuki F, Tanaka H, Shindo M. The vertebral curvature of sportsmen. J Sports Sci. 1998:621–628.
-  Förster R, Penka G, Bösl T, Schöffl V. Form and mobility of the thoracolumbar spine leading to postural adaptations in male high ability rock climbers. Int J Sports Med. 2009;30:53–59.
-  Barczyk-Pawelec K, Bańkosz Z, Derlich M. Body postures and asymmetries in frontal and transverse planes in the trunk area in table tennis players. Biol Sport. 2012;29:129–134.
-  Grabara M. A comparison of the posture between young female handball players and non-training peers. J Back Musculoskelet Rehabil. 2014;27(1):85–92.
-  Wodecki P, Guigui P, Hanotel MC, Cardinne L, Deburge A. Sagittal alignment of the spine: comparison between soccer players and subjects without sports activities. Rev Chir Orthop Reparatrice Appar Mot. 2002;4:328–336.
-  Grabara M. Sagittal spinal curvatures in adolescent male basketball players and non-training individuals — a two-year study. Sci Sport. 2016;31:e147-e153.
-  Grabara M. Postural variables in girls practicing sport gymnastic. Biomed Hum Kinet. 2010;2:74–77.
-  Muyor JM, López-Miñarro PA, Alacid F. A comparison of the thoracic spine in the sagittal plane between elite cyclists and nonathlete subjects. J Back Musculoskelet Rehabil. 2011;24(3):129–135.
-  Varekova R, Vareka I, Janura M, Svoboda Z, Elfmark M. Evaluation of postural asymmetry and gross joint mobility in elite female volleyball athletes. J Hum Kinet. 2011;29:5–13.
-  Wojtys EM, Ashton-Miller JA, Huston LJ, Moga PJ. The association between athletic training time and the sagittal curvature if the immature spine. Am J Sports Med. 2000;28:490–498.
-  Rachbauer F, Sterzinger W, Eibl G. Radiographic abnormalities in the thoracolumbar spine of young elite skiers. Am J Sports Med. 2001;29(4):446–449.
-  Grabara M, Hadzik A. The body posture in young athletes compared to their peers. Polish J Sport Med. 2009;25(2):115–124.
-  Pietraszewska J, Pietraszewski B, Burdukiewicz A. Computer evaluation of the body posture of the young soccer players selected biomechanical parameters. Acta Bio-Optica Inform Med. 2009;15(4):352–355.
-  Bussey M. Does the demand for asymmetric functional lower body postures in lateral sports relate to structural asymmetry of the pelvis? J Sci Med Sport. 2010;13:360–364.
-  Oyama S, Myers JB, Wassinger CA, Ricci D, Lephart SM. Asymetric recting scapular posture in healthy overhead athletes. J Atlet Train. 2008;43(6):565–570.
-  Krzykała M. Dual energy X-ray absorptiometry in morphological asymmetry assessment among field hockey players. J Hum Kinet. 2010;25:77–84.
-  Dorado C, Sanches Moysi J, Vicente G, Serrano JA, Rodriguez LP, Calbet JAL. Bone mass, bone mineral density and muscle mass in professional golfers. J Sports Sci. 2002;20:591–597.
-  Maćkowiak Z, Wiernicka M. Body posture in girls aged 13–18 involved in synchronized swimming. Polish J Sport Med. 2010;26(3):115–122.
-  Grabara M. Analysis of body posture between young football players and their untrained peers. Hum Mov. 2012;13(2):120–126.
-  Hennessey L, Watson AW. Flexibility and posture assessment in relation to hamstring injury. Br J Sports Med. 1993;27:243–246.
-  Drzał-Grabiec J, Snela S. The influence of rural environment on body posture. Ann Agricult Environ Med. 2012;19(4):846–850.
-  Grabara M. Comparison of posture among adolescent male volleyball players and non-athletes. Biol Sport. 2015;32(1):79–85.
-  Zeylad-Malawka E, Prędkiewicz-Abacjew E. Symptoms of asymmetry in the posture of children and Young people – a threat to a fully efficient locomotor system and to health. Now Lek. 2006;75(4):394–398.
-  Gnat R, Saulicz E, Biały M, Kłaptocz P. Does pelvic asymmetry always mean pathology? Analysis of mechanical factors leading to the asymmetry. J Hum Kinet. 2009;21:23–35.
-  Gnat R, Saulicz E. Induced static asymmetry of the pelvis is associated with functional asymmetry of the lumbo-pelvo-hip complex. JOMPT. 2008;31(3):204–211.
-  Grivas TB, Vasiliadis ES, Polyzois VD, Mouzakis V. Trunk asymmetry and handedness in 8245 school children. Develop Neurorehabil. 2006;9(3):259–266.
-  Muyor JM, Sanchez-Sanchez E, Sanz-Rivas D, López-Miñarro PA. Sagittal spinal morphology in highly trained adolescent tennis players. J Sports Sci Med. 2013;12:588–593.
-  López-Miñarro P, Alacid F, Rodriguez P. Comparison of sagittal spinal curvatures and hamstring muscle extensibility among young elite paddlers and non-athletes. Int Sport Med J. 2010;11(2):301–312.