Factors connected with pregnancy loss in dairy cows
The aim of the study was to determine the influence of chosen factors: subsequent lactations in which pregnancy was diagnosed, the month in which successful insemination was performed, the length of the calving-conception period, the number of inseminations, and the culling rate on the pregnancy loss index, and to evaluate the relationship between culling and risk of abortion. The analysis involved 1,056 pregnancies diagnosed in 378 cows during nine years of observations. An increase in the number of cows being in the third and following lactations in successive years was connected with an increasing pregnancy loss ratio up to 90 d after insemination (P=0.034) and decreasing pregnancy loss observed later (P=0.045). The pregnancy loss rate during the first trimester was the lowest in primiparous cows (4.73%). Simultaneously, in primiparous cows and in cows in the second lactation, the highest pregnancy loss rate between 91-260 d after insemination was noted (8.19% and 8.68%, respectively). It was demonstrated that pregnancy loss up to 90 d of its development was observed most frequently after inseminations made in April (P=0.027) and most seldom after inseminations made in August. Pregnaney losses in the second and third trimesters were the most frequently observed after inseminations performed in July (P=0.040) and October (P=0.031), and the most seldom when the inseminations were performed in April. Culling of primiparous cows decreased the risk of pregnancy loss after inseminations in the second lactation in the other cows.
- 1. Abbitt B., Ball L., Kitto G.P., Sitzman C.G., Wilgenburg B., Raim L.W.: Effect of three methods of palpation for pregnancy diagnosis per rectum on embryonic and fetal attrition in cows. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1978, 73, 973- 977.
- 2. Carpenter T.E., Chriel M., Andersen M.M., Wulfson L., Jensen A.M., Houe H., Greiner M.: An epidemiologic study of late-term abortions in dairy cattle in Denmark, July 2000-August 2003. Prev Vet Med 2006, 77, 215- 229.
- 3. Chebel R.C., Santos J.E.P., Reynolds J.P., Cerri R.L.A., Juchem S.O., Overton M.: Factors affecting conception rate after artificial insemination and pregnancy loss in lactating dairy cows. Anim Reprod Sci 2004, 84, 239- 255.
- 4. Collier R.J., Doelger S.G., Head H.H., Thatcher W.W., Wilcox C.J.: Effects of heat stress during pregnancy on maternal hormone concentration, calf birth weight and postpartum milk yield of Holstein cows. J Anim Sci 1982, 54, 309-319.
- 5. Forar A.L., Gay J.M., Hancock D.D., Gay C.C.: Fetal loss frequency in ten Holstein dairy herds. Theriogenology 1996, 45, 1505-1513.
- 6. Garcia-Ispierto I., Lopez-Gatius F., Santolaria P., Yaniz J.L., Nogareda C., Lopez-Bejar M., De Rensis F.: Relationship between heat stress during the peri-implantation period and early fetal loss in dairy cattle. Theriogenology 2006, 65, 799-807.
- 7. Grimard B., Freret S., Chevallier A., Pinto A., Ponsart C., Humblot P.: Genetic and environmental factors influencing first service conception rate and late embryonic/fetal mortality in low fertility dairy herds. Anim Reprod Sci 2006, 91, 31-44.
- 8. Humblot P.: Use of pregnancy specific proteins and progesterone assays to monitor pregnancy and determine timing, frequencies and sources of embryonic mortality in ruminants. Theriogenology 2001, 56, 1417-1433.
- 9. Jamaluddin A., Case J., Hird D., Blanchard P., Paenroi J., Anderson M.: Dairy cattle abortion in California: evaluation of diagnostic laboratory data. J Vet Diagn Invest 1996, 8, 210-218.
- 10. Jousan F.D., Drost M., Hansen P.J.: Factors associated with early and mid-to-late fetal loss in lactating and nonlactating Holstein cattle in a hot climate. J Anim Sci 2005, 83, 1017-1022.
- 11. Labernia J., Lopez-Gatius F., Santolaria P., Lopez-Bejar M., Rutllant J.: Influence of management factors on pregnancy attrition in dairy cattle. Theriogenology 1996, 45, 1247-1253.
- 12. Lee J.I., Kim I.H.: Pregnancy loss in dairy cows: the contributing factors, the effects on reproductive performance and the economic impact. J Vet Sci 2007, 8, 283-288.
- 13. Lopez-Gatius F., Santolaria P., Yaniz J., Rutllant J., Lopez-Bejar M.: Factors affecting pregnancy loss from gestation day 38 to 90 in lactating dairy cows from a single herd. Theriogenology 2002, 57, 1251-1261.
- 14. Markusfeld-Nir O.: Epidemiology of bovine abortions in Israeli dairy herds. Prev Vet Med 1997, 31, 245-255.
- 15. McDougall S., Rhodes F.M., Verkerk G.: Pregnancy loss in dairy cattle in the Waikato region of New Zealand. N Z Vet J 2005, 53, 279-287.
- 16. Paisley L.G., Mickelson W.D., Trost O.L.: A survey of the incidence of prenatal morality in cattle following pregnancy diagnosis by rectal palpation. Theriogenology 9, 481-491.
- 17. Santos J.E.P., Cerri R.L.A., Ballou M.A., Higginbotham G.E., Kirk J.H.: Effect of timing of first clinical mastitis occurrence on lactational and reproductive performance on Holstein dairy cows. Anim Reprod Sci 2004, 80, 31- 45.
- 18. Santos J.E.P., Thatcher W.W., Chebel R.C., Cerri R.L.A., Galvao K.N.: The effect of embryonic death rates in cattle on the efficacy of estrus synchronization programs. Anim Reprod Sci 2004, 82/83, 513-535.
- 19. Silke V., Diskin M.G., Kenny D.A., Boland M.P. Dillon P., Mee J.F., Sreenan J.M.: Extent, pattern and factors associated with late embryonic loss in dairy cows. Anim Reprod Sci 2002, 71, 1-12.
- 20. Risco C.A., Donovan G.A., Hernandez J.: Clinical mastitis associated with abortion in dairy cows. J Dairv Sci 1999, 82, 1684-1689.
- 21. Romano J.E., Thompson J.A., Kraemer D.C., Westhusin M.E., Forrest D.W., Tomaszewski M.A.: Early pregnancy diagnosis by palpation per rectum: Influence on embryo/fetal viability in dairy cattle. Theriogenology 2007, 67, 486-493.
- 22. Thurmond M.C., Picanso J.P.: Fetal loss associated with palpation per rectum to diagnose pregnancy in cows. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1993, 203, 432-435.
- 23. Vaillantcourt D., Bierschwal C.J., Ogwu D., Elmore R.G., Martin C.E., Sharp A.J., Youngquist R.S.: Correlation between pregnancy diagnosis by membrane slip and embryonic mortality. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1979, 175, 466-468.
- 24. Vanroose G., de Kruif A., Van Soom A.: Embryonic mortality and embryo-pathogen interactions. Anim Reprod Sci 2000, 60/61, 131 -143.