The concept for protection of flood plain forests in the Uroczysko Warta forest district
Treść / Zawartość
Flood plain forests are the richest and highly picturesque forest ecosystems. Unfortunately, river regulation and flood control contribute to their degradation. In Poland only 0.2% of total area is covered by flood plain forests. The Uroczysko Warta forest district constitutes one of the most important clusters of these sites. The construction of the Jeziorsko reservoir in the middle course of the Warta River has contributed to changes in the river regime (reduced flooding areas and decreased flooding frequency). It seems that the use of simple land improvement systems, i.e. gates, river bars and culverts with flap check valves, may result in the recreation of advantageous hydrological conditions. In such a case storage volume of oxbow lakes would be increased and ground water would be maintained at a higher level over longer periods of time. This study presents a concept for protection of the Uroczysko Warta, thanks to the construction of appropriate engineering infrastructure.
- Bednorz J., Kupczyk M., Kuźniak S., Winiecki A. 2000. Birds of the Wielkopolska. Fauna's monograph. Bogucki Scientific Publisher, Poznan. (in Polish).
- Danielewicz W. 1993. A forests and an afforestation of river valleys - economic meaning as well as the part in protection of natural environment. ZPPNR PAN. (in Polish)
- Forest Inspectorate Jarocin – Uroczysko Warta. Study, editing by K. Schwartz. 2009. (typescript in Polish).
- Kowalczak P., Terlecki P., Hański A. 2006. Study – expert’s report: optimum solution of water retention in oxbow lakes of the Uroczysko Warta on the Czeszewskie Forest area. IMGWDep. Poznań. (typescript in Polish).
- Miler A. 1999. Water discharges of the Warta River in Poznan in 10-yearly period of the Jeziorsko Reservoir functioning against a background of water discharges in more than150-yearly previous period. Scientific-Technical Conference: Exploitation and influencea large lowland reservoirs (on example of water reservoir Jeziorsko). Uniejów20-21.05.1999, Publishing by Agricultural University, Poznan. (in Polish).
- Pawlaczyk P., Stańko R., Zieliński S., Kosiński Z., Kujawa-Pawlaczyk J., 2002. Natural valorization as well as protection conception of the Uroczysko Warta in the Forest InspectorateJarocin. Studio of Nature Protection - Club Naturalist. Świebodzin. (typescript in Polish)
- Zieliński W., Niemczyński D. 2008. Geological report of ground and surface water local monitoring for existing retention system of surface water in oxbow lakes of the Uroczysko Wartaon the Czeszewskie Forest area. GeKo, geology, consulting – Wrocław. (typescript inPolish).