Influence of temperature and abscisic and gibberellic acids on polyamine biosynthesis in European beech (Fagus sylvatica L.) seeds during dormancy breaking
The effects of the exogenous growth regulators abscisic and gibberellic acids (ABA and GA3) on the activity of arginine (ADC) and ornithine decarboxylases (ODC) during dormancy breaking were studied in beech seed. During cold-stratification at 3°C, ADC and ODC activity increased rapidly starting from week 7 in embryo axes and week 8 in cotyledons. At 15°C, ADC activity was higher than ODC activity in embryo axes until week 7 and in cotyledons until week 8. Exogenous growth regulators clearly affected ADC and ODC activity. In embryo axes, ADC activity reached its maximum under the influence of GA3 between weeks 4 and 8. In the control variant (water temp. 3°C), enzymatic activity was moderately high, peaking in week 9 when a high proportion of seeds already showed germinability. In cotyledons the influence of GA3 on ADC activity was noticeable particularly during the first and last weeks. In the control variant the pattern of changes in the activity of this enzyme was similar but at a much lower level. ABA in both organs clearly inhibited ADC activity, but particularly at the end of the experiment. ODC activity in all variants of the experiment was higher in embryo axes than in cotyledons. The dynamics of change in ODC activity were similar to the changes in ADC activity in embryo axes and in cotyledons.
- Berta G, Altamura MM, Fuskoni A, Ceruti F, Capitani F, and Bagni N, 1997. The plant cell wall is altered by inhibition of polyamine biosynthesis utilizing the principle of protein dye binding. Analytical Biochemistry 72: 248-250.
- Bewley JD, and Black M. 1994. Dormancy and the control of germination. In: Seeds physiology of development and germination, 199-267. Plenum Press. New York and London.
- Bradford MM. 1976. A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Analytical Biochemistry 72: 248-254.
- Brady SM, and McCourt P. 2003. Hormone cross-talk in seed dormancy. Journal of Plant Growth Regulators 22: 25-31.
- Dumortier FM, Flores HE, Shekhawat NS, and Galston AW. 1983. Gradients of polyamines and their biosynthetic enzymes in coleoptiles and roots of corn. Plant Physiology 72: 925-918.
- Evans P, and Malmberg RL. 1989. Do polyamines have roles in plant development? Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 40: 235-269.
- Finkelstein RR. 2004. The role of hormones during seed development and germination. In: Davies PJ [ed.], Plant hormones - Biosynthesis, signal transduction, action, 513-537. Kluwer Academic Press, Dordrecht.
- Galston AW, Dai YR, Flores HE, and Young ND. 1983. The control of arginine decarboxylase activity in higher plants. In: Bachrach U, Kaye A, and Chayen R [eds.], Advances in polyamine research, 4, 381-393. Raven Press, New York.
- Grzywacz E, Szczotka Z, Twardowski T, and Żymańczyk M. 1991. Influence of MGBG on protein content and polyamines concentration during the dormancy breaking in Norway maple (Acer platanoides L.) seeds. Acta Physiologiae Plantarum 13: 235-246.
- Hilhorst HWM, and Karssen CM. 1992. Seed dormancy and germination: the role of abscisic acid and gibberellins and the importance of hormone mutants. Plant Growth Regulation 11: 225-238.
- Hilhorst HWM. 1995. A critical update on seed dormancy. Primary dormancy. Seed Sciences Research 5: 61-73.
- Krawiarz K, and Szczotka Z. 2002. Activity of phosphofructokinase and phosphoenolo-pyruvate carboxylase in Norway maple (Acer platanoides L.) seeds during dormancy breaking. Dendrobiology 47: 21-25.
- Krawiarz K, and Szczotka Z. 2005. Adenine nucleotides and energy charge during dormancy breaking in embryo axes of Acer platanoides and Fagus sylvatica seeds. Acta Physiologiae Plantarum 27: 455-461.
- Kucera B, Cohn MC, and Leubner-Metzger G. 2005. Plant hormone interactions during seed dormancy release and germination. Seed Science Research 15: 281-307.
- Le Page-Degivry MT, and Garello G. 1996. In situ abscisic acid synthesis: a requirement for induction of embryo dormancy in Helianthus annuus. Plant Physiology 98: 1386-1390.
- Minocha R, Minocha SC, and Long S. 2004. Polyamines and their biosynthetic enzymes during somatic embryo development in red spruce (Picea rubens Sarg.). In Vitro Cellular and Developmental Biology Plantarum 40: 572-580.
- Nicolás C, Nicolás G, and Rodrigues D. 1996. Antagonistic effects of abscisic acid and gibberellic acid on the breaking of dormancy of Fagus sylvatica seeds. Physiologia Plantarum 96: 244-250.
- Nicolás C, Rodrigues D, Poulsen F, Eriksenen, and Nicolás G. 1997. The expression of on abscisic acid-responsive glycine-rich protein coincides with the level of seed dormancy in Fagus sylvatica. Plant Cell Physiology 38: 1303-1310.
- Nicolás C, Nicolás G, and Rodrigues D. 1998. Transcripts of a gene, encoding a small GTP-binding protein from Fagus sylvatica, are induced by ABA and and accumulated in the embryonic axes of dormant seeds. Plant Molecular Biology 36: 487-491.
- Phelps DC, and McDonald RE. 1990. Inhibition of electron transport activities in mitochondria from avocado and pepper fruit by naturally occurring polyamines. Physiologia Plantarum 78: 15-21.
- Pawłowski T, and Szczotka Z. 1997. Qualitative changes in protein content during cold and warm stratification of Norway maple (Acer platanoides) seeds. Seed Science Research 7: 385-390.
- Pawłowski T. 2007. Proteomics of Fagus sylvatica L. seed dormancy breaking: Influence of abscisic and gibberellic acids. Proteomics 7: 2226-2257.
- Pawłowski T, and Szczotka Z. 2006. Proteomics of Acer platanoides L. seed dormancy breaking and germination. Abstracts of the XV FESPB Congress. 17-21 July, 101. Lyon.
- Pukacka S, Szczotka Z, and Żymańczyk M. 1991. Arginine decarboxylase, ornithine decarboxylase and polyamines under cold and warm stratification of Norway maple (Acer platanoides L.) seeds. Acta Physiologiae Plantarum 13: 247-252.
- Santanen A, and Simola LK. 1999. Metabolism of L[U-14C]-arginine and L[U14-C]-ornithine in maturing and vernalised embryos and megagametophytes of Picea abies. Physiologia Plantarum 107: 433-440.
- Suszka B, and Tomaszewska E. 1971. Plant growth regulators in non-dormant seeds of silver maple (Acer saccharinum L.). Arboretum Kórnickie 16: 157-168.
- Swamy PM, Usha R, Kiranmayee P, and Ramamurthy N. 2004. Changes in polyamine contents and arginine decarboxylase activity associated with elongation growth of hypocotyls in Rhizophora apiculata Bl. Canadian Journal of Botany 82: 1656-1661.
- Szczotka Z. 1999. Fizjologia Nasion. In: Bugała W [ed.], Klony Acer campestre, Acer platanoides, Acer pseudoplatanus, 127-146. Bogucki Wydawnictwo Naukowe, Poznan.
- Szczotka Z, and Lewandowska U. 1989. Polyamines in dormancy breaking of tree seeds. Annual Science of Forestry 46: 95-97.
- Szczotka Z, Pawłowski T, and Krawiarz K. 2003. Proteins and polyamines during dormancy breaking of European beech (Fagus sylvatica L.) seeds. Acta Physiologiae Plantarum 25: 423-435.
- Tomaszewska E. 1976. Growth regulators in Norway maple (Acer platanoides L.) seeds. Arboretum Kórnickie 21: 297-312.
- Twardowski T, and Szczotka Z. 1989. The influence of selected polyamines on elongation binding factor 1 activity during the stratification of Norway Maple seeds. Journal of Plant Physiology 134: 32-36.