Effect of sperm concentration in an ejaculate on morphometric traits of spermatozoa in Duroc boars
Treść / Zawartość
The experimental material consisted of 75 ejaculates collected form 8 Duroc boars. The ejaculates were divided into three groups according to sperm concentration in an ejaculate. An ejaculate was obtained from each boar monthly and it was used to make microscopic preparations to examine spermatozoa morphology. In each preparation morphometric measurements were taken of fifteen randomly selected spermatozoa characterized by normal morphology. The following measurements of spermatozoa were taken: length and width of the spermatozoa head, head area, length of the flagellum, perimeter of the spermatozoon head and total spermatozoon length. The results were used to calculate indicators of spermatozoa morphology. Moreover, assessments were made of frequency of morphological defects to isolate spermatozoa with primary and secondary abnormalities following the Blom classification system. It was found that the concentration of spermatozoa in the ejaculate influenced the morphometric characteristics of spermatozoa. Ejaculates with low sperm concentrations are characterized by larger spermatozoa as compared to ejaculates with high sperm concentrations. However, sperm concentration in the ejaculate does not much influence the shape of spermatozoa.
- Azis N, Fear S, Taylor C, Kingsland CR, Lewis-Jones I (1998) Human sperm head morphometric distribution and its influence on human fertility. Fertil and Steril 70: 883-891.
- Banaszewska D, Kondracki S, Wysokińska A (2009) Effect of sperm concentration on ejaculate for morphometric traits of spermatozoas of the pietrain breed boars. J Cent Eur Agric 10: 383-396.
- Bierła JB, Giżejewski Z, Leigh CM, Ekwall H, Söderquist L, Rodriguez-Martinez H, Zalewski K, Breed WG (2007) Sperm morphology of the Eurasian beaver Castor fiber: an example of a species of rodent with highly derived and pleiomorphic sperm populations. J Morphol 268: 683-689.
- Blom E (1981) The morphological estimation of the spermatozoa defects of bull II. The proposal of new classification of spermatozoa defects (in Polish). Med Weter 37: 239-242.
- Brito LFC, DVM, MSc, MVetSc, PhD, DACT (2007) Evaluation of stallion sperm morphology. Clin Tech Equine Pract 6: 249-264.
- Castro MLS, Deschamps JC, Meinke W, Siewedt F, Cardelino RA (1996) Influence of the collection period on volume, motility and semen doses in swine. Ciencia Rural 26: 457-462.
- Casey PJ, Gravance CG, Davis RO, Chabot DD, Liu IK (1997) Morphometric differences in sperm head dimensions of fertile and subfertile stallions. Theriogenology 47: 575-582.
- Chenoweth PJ (2005) Genetic sperm defects. Theriogenology 64: 457-468.
- Davis RO, Gravance CG, Casey PJ (1993) Automated morphometric analysis of stallion spermatozoa. Am J Vet Res 54: 1808-1811.
- De Jarnette JM, Saacke RG, Bame J, Vogler CJ (1992) Accessory sperm: their importance to fertility and embryo quality, and attempts to alter their numbers in artificially inseminated cattle. J Anim Sci 70: 484-491.
- De Vos A, Van De Velde H, Joris H, Verheyen G, Devroey P, Van Steirteghem A (2003) Influence of individual sperm morphology on fertilization, embryo morphology, and pregnancy outcome of intracytoplasmic sperm injection. Fertility and Sterility 79: 42-48.
- Downing-Meisner A, Klaus AV, O’Leary MA (2005) Sperm head morphology in 36 species of artiodactylans, perissodactylans, and cetaceans (Mammalia). J Morphol 263: 179-202.
- Gage MJ, Morrow EH (2003) Experimental evidence for the evolution of numerous, tiny sperm via sperm competition. Curr Biol 13: 754-757.
- Gil MC, García-Herreros M, Barón FJ, Aparicio IM, Santos AJ, García-Marín LJ (2009) Morphometry of porcine spermatozoa and its functional significance in relation with the motility parameters in fresh semen. Theriogenology 71: 254-263.
- Gomendio M, Roldan ER (1991) Sperm competition influences sperm size in mammals. Proc Biol Sci 243: 181-185.
- Gravance CG, Liu IK, Davis RO, Hughes JP, Casey PJ (1996) Quantification of normal head morphometry of stallion spermatozoa. J Reprod Fertil 108: 41-46.
- Hirai M, Boersma A, Hofflich A, Wolf E, Föll J, Aumüller TR, Braun J (2001) Objectively measured sperm motility and sperm head morphometry in boars (Sus scrofa): relation to fertility and seminal plasma growth factors. J Androl 22: 104-110.
- Katz DF, Overstreet JW, Samuels SJ, Niswander PW, Bloom TD, Lewis EL (1986) Morphometric analysis of spermatozoa in the assessment of human male fertility. J Androl 7: 203-210.
- Katz DF, Drobnis EZ (1990) Analysis and interpretation of the forces generated by spermatozoa. In Fertilization in mammals. Serono Symposia pp. 125-137.
- Karabinus DS, Vogler CJ, Saacke RG, Evenson DP (1997) Chromatin structural changes in sperm after scrotal insulation of Holstein bulls. J Androl 18: 549-555.
- King GJ, Macpherson JW (1973) A comparison of two methods for boar semen collection. J Anim Sci 36: 563-565.
- Kondracki S (2003) Breed differences in semen characteristics of boars used in artificial insemination in Poland. Pig News Inf 24: 119N-122N.
- Kondracki S, Banaszewska D, Mielnicka C (2005) The effect of age on the morphometric sperm traits of domestic pigs. Cell Mol Biol Lett 10: 3-13.
- Kondracki S, Wysokińska A (2005) Characterization of sperm abnormalities of Boars with regard of age and breed (in Polish). Folia Univ Agric Stetin, Zootechnica 243: 97-104.
- Kondracki S, Banaszewska D, Wysokińska A, Sadowska A (2006) Ejaculate traits and spermatozoa morphology as related to spermatozoa concentration in ejaculates of Polish Large White boars. Anim Sci Pap and Rep 24: 111-119.
- Lüpold S, Calhim S, Immler S, Birkhead TR (2009) Sperm morphology and sperm velocity in passerine birds. Proc Biol Sci 276: 1175-1181.
- Malo AF, Gomendio M, Garde J, Lang-Lenton B, Soler AJ, Roldan ER (2006) Sperm design and sperm function. Biol Lett 2: 246-249.
- Maroto-Morales A, Ramón M, García-Álvarez O, Soler AJ, Esteso MC, Martinez-Pastor F, Pérez-Guzmán MD, Garde JJ (2010) Characterization of ram (Ovis aries) sperm head morphometry using the Sperm-Class Analyzer. Theriogenology 73: 437-448.
- Morrow EH, Gage MJG (2001) Consistent significant variation between individual males in spermatozoal morphometry. J Zool 254: 147-153.
- Noorafshan A, Karbaly-Doust S (2010) A simple method for unbiased estimating of ejaculated sperm tail length in subjects with normal and abnormal sperm motility. Micron 41: 96-99.
- Park CS, Yi YJ (2002) Comparison of semen characteristics, sperm freezability and testosterone concentration between Duroc and Yorkshire boars during seasons. Anim Reprod Sci 73: 53-61.
- Phillips NJ, McGowan MR, Johnston SD, Mayer DG (2004) Relationship between thirty post-thaw spermatozoal characteristics and the field fertility of 11 high-use Australian dairy AI sires. Anim Reprod Sci 81: 47-61.
- Pinart E, Camps R, Briz MD, Bonet S, Egozcue J (1998) Unilateral spontaneosus abdominal cryptochidism: structural and ultrastructural stady of sperm morphology. Anim Reprod Sci 49: 247-268.
- Rijsselaere T, Van Soom A, Hoflack G, Meas D, De Kruif A (2004) Automated sperm morphometry and morphology analysis of canine semen by the Hamilton-Thorne analyser. Theriogenology 62: 1292-1306.
- Saravia F, Núñez-Martínez I, Morán JM, Soler C, Muriel A, Rodriguez-Martínez H, Peña FJ (2007) Differences in boar sperm head shape and dimensions recorded by computer-assisted sperm morphometry are not related to chromatin integrity. Theriogenology 68: 196-203.
- Severa L, Máchal L, Švábová L, Mamica O (2010) Evaluation of shape variability of stallion sperm heads by means of image analysis and Fourier descriptors. Anim Reprod Sci 119: 50-55.
- Smital J, De Sousa LL, Monsen A (2004) Differences among breeds and manifestation of heterosis in AI boar sperm output. Anim Reprod Sci 80: 121-130.
- Smital J (2009) Effect influencing boar semen. Anim Reprod Sci 110: 335-346.
- Soderquist L, Janson L, Larsson K, Einarsson S (1991) Sperm morphology and fertility in A.I. bulls. J Vet Med A 38: 534-543.
- Thurston LM, Watson PF, Mileham AJ, Holt WV (2001) Morphoologically distinct sperm subpopulations defined by Fourier shape descriptors in fresh ejaculates correlate with variation in boar semen quality following cryopreservation. J Androl 22: 382-394
- Wysokińska A, Kondracki S, Banaszewska D (2009) Morphometrical characteristics of spermatozoa in Polish Landrace boars with regard to the number of spermatozoa in an ejaculate. Reprod Biol 9: 271-282.