Influence of nitrogen doses on the chemical composition and proportions of nutrients in selected vegetable species
Treść / Zawartość
The experiments on celery, curly kale and lettuce reported in this paper were carried out in a greenhouse, with plants grown in 2 dm3 pots filled with peat substrate. The trials were established in a completely randomized design. The aim was to determine the effect of increasing nitrogen doses (0.3, 0.6, 0.9, 1.2 g N dm-3 of substrate) on N-tot., NO3-N, concentrations of P, K, Ca, Mg, Fe, Zn, Mn and Cu as well as ratios between these elements in three vegetable species such as curly kale, lettuce, and celery, distinguished by different degrees of sensitivity to salinity. An increase in the content of total nitrogen and NO3-N in lettuce, curly kale and celery appeared to be parallel to the increasing doses of nitrogen, while the average total nitrogen content was similar in all the tested species, and the content of N-NO3 in kale was about five-fold lower than in lettuce and celery. The level of nitrogen fertilization influenced the content of potassium and magnesium in lettuce as well as the content of phosphorus, potassium, calcium and magnesium in celery. The nitrogen doses significantly differentiated proportions between the nutrients in plants, mostly the K:Mg and Zn:Cu ratios. The increasing doses of nitrogen modified the content of microelements and proportions between various components in the tested plant species.
- Chair of Soil Cultivation and Fertilization of Horticultural Plants, University of Life Sciences in Lublin, Leszczynskiego 58, 20-068 Lublin, Poland
- Chair of Soil Cultivation and Fertilization of Horticultural Plants, University of Life Sciences in Lublin, Lublin, Poland
- Amr A., Hadidi N. 2001. Effect of cultivar and harvest date on nitrate and nitrite content of selected vegetable grown under open field and greenhouse conditions in Jordan. J. Food Compos. Anal., 14: 59-67-67.
- Babik, I., Elkner K. 2002. The effect of nitrogen fertilization and irrigation on yield and quality of braccoli. Acta Hort. (ISHS), 571: 33-43.
- Biczak R., Herman B., Rychter P. 2011. Effects of nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium fertilization on yield and biological value of leaf celery. Part I. Vegetables yield and mineral composition. Proc. of EC Opole, 5(1): 161-171. (in Polish)
- Biegańska-Marecik R., Walkowiak-Tomczak D., Radziejewska-Kubzdela E. 2008. Changes in the content of nitrates (III) and (V) in the minimally processed spinach packed and stored in modified atmosphere. Żywność. Nauka. Technologia. Jakość., 4(59): 247-256. (in Polish)
- Biesiada A., Kołota E. 2008. The effect of nitrogen fertilization on yielding and quality of radicchio. J. Elementol., 13(2): 175-180.
- Dzida K., Jarosz Z., Michałojć Z. 2012. Effect of nitrogen fertilization on the yield and nutritive value of Beta vulgaris L. J. Elem., 17(1): 19-29. DOI: 10.5601/jelem.2012.17.1.02
- Dzida K., Pitura K. 2008. The influence of varied nitrogen fertilization on yield and chemical composition of Swiss chard (Beta vulgaris L. var. cicla L.). Acta Sci. Pol. Hort. Cult., 7(3), 15-24.
- Gajewska M., Czajkowska A., Bartodziejska B. 2009. The content of nitrates (III) and (V) in selected vegetables on detail sale in Łódź region. Ochr. Środ. Zas. Natur., 40, 388-395. (in Polish)
- Jarnuszewski G., Meller E. 2013. Mineral element ratios in plants grown on post-bog soil fertilised with zinc and copper. Fol. Pomer. Univ. Technol. Stetin., Agric., Aliment., Pisc., Zootech., 304 (26): 25-32.
- Jarosz Z., Dzida K. 2006. Effect of different nitrogen-potassium fertilization on the yielding and chemical composition of lettuce. Acta Agroph., 7(3): 591-597. (in Polish)
- Jurgiel-Małecka G., Suchorska-Orłowska J. 2008. The effect of nitrogen fertilization on the content of microelements in selected onions. J. Elementol., 13(2): 227-234.
- Kalisz A. 2007. The effect of different nitrogen doses on yielding and nutritive value of chinese cabbage. Rocz. AR Pozn. CCCLXXXIII, Ogrod., 41: 511-515.
- Kotsiras A, Olymp ios Cm, Drosopoulos J, Pass a HC. 2002. Effects of nitrogen form and concentration on the distribution of ions within cucumber fruits. Sci. Hort., 95:175–183.
- Kowalska I., Sady W., Szura A. 2006. Effects of nitrogen form, foliar nutrition and growing place on yield and quality of lettuce. Acta Agroph., 7(3): 619-631. (in Polish)
- Kozik E. 2005. The reaction of lettuce (Lactuca sativa L. var. capitata) grown in a greenhouse on selected agronomic factors influencing the nitrate content. Rozp. Nauk. Rocz. AR w Poznaniu, 307.
- Krzywy E., Krzywy J. 2001. The N:S and Fe: Mn ion ratios as factors indicative of the quality of crop plants obtained under the Waste 7 · sulfate hydrate (VI) iron (II). Fol. Univ. Stetin., 221 Agric. 88, 133-140. (in Polish)
- Michałojć Z. 2000. Effect of nitrogen and potassium fertilization, and the term of cultivation on the yield and chemical composition of lettuce, radishes and spinach. Rozpr. Nauk. 238, AR Lublin.
- Nurzyńska-Wierdak R. 2006. Growth and yield of garden rocket and kohlrabi affected by nitrogen and potassium fertilization. Rozpr. Nauk. 307, AR Lublin. (in Polish)
- Nurzyński J. Dzida K., Nowak L. 2007. The effect of different nitrogen fertilization on yielding of kohlrabi and chemical composition of leaves and stems. Rocz. AR Pozn., Ogrod., 41(383): 583-587. (in Polish)
- Pitura K. Michałojć Z. 2012. Influence of salts concentration on yielding, biological value and chemical composition of selected vegetable species. Part. I. Yielding and biological value. Acta Sci. Pol. Hort. Cult., 11(6): 145-153.
- Premuzic Z. Villela F. Garate A. Bonn ila I. 2004. Light supply and nitrogen fertilization for the production and quality of butterhead lettuce. Acta Hort., 659: 671-678
- Rożek S. 2000. Factors affecting nitrate accumulation in vegetable yield. Zesz. Nauk. AR w Krakowie, 71: 19-31. (in Polish)
- Sheikhi J. Ronaghi A. 2012. Growth and macro- and micronutrients concentration in spinach (Spinacia oleracea L.) as influenced by salinity and nitrogen rates Intl. Res. J. Appl. Basic. Sci., 3(4): 770-777.
- Tariq M., Mott C.J. B. 2006. Effect of boron supply on the uptake micronutrients by radish (Raphanus sativus L.). J. Agric. Biol. Sci., 1(2): 1-8.
- Tunçtürk M., Tunçtürk R., Yildirim B., Çiftçi V. 2011a. Effect of salinity stress on plant fresh weight and nutrient composition of some Canola (Brassica napus L.) cultivars. Afr. J. Biotechnol., 10(10): 1827-1832.
- Tunçtürk M., Tunçtürk R., Yildirim B., Çiftçi V. 2011b. Changes of micronutrients, dry weight and plant development in canola (Brassica napus L.) cultivars under salt stress. Afr. J. Biotechnol., 10(19): 3726-3730.