Effects of nonylphenol-induced oxidative stress in ovary of cichlid fish, Etroplus maculatus (Bloch, 1795)
Treść / Zawartość
The present study was designed to evaluate the effects of nonylphenol in the pro-oxidant/ antioxidant system in ovary of the cichlid fish Etroplus maculatus. Fishes were exposed at two sublethal concentrations (one-fifth and one-tenth of LC50) of nonylphenol for 24, 72 and 96 h maintaining control groups. The oxidative stress indices as the activities of antioxidant enzymes, superoxide dismutase, catalase, glutathione reductase along with the levels of hydrogen peroxide generation and lipid peroxidation were monitored in concentration- and time-dependent manner. Activity of superoxide dismutase significantly (P<0.05) increased at both concentrations in timedependent manner. Meanwhile the activities of catalase and glutathione reductase significantly (P<0.05) decreased after 72 and 96 h of nonylphenol treatment. The levels of hydrogen peroxide generation and lipid peroxidation increased in all treatment groups when compared to controls. The present results demonstrated that the induction of oxidative stress in ovary of fish by the generation of lipid peroxidation could be due to the exposure of environmental contaminant, nonylphenol. Therefore, the observed oxidative stress in ovary can be indicated as a mechanism of toxicity in the fish exposed to nonylphenol.
-  PARCOM 92/8. Recommendation on nonylphenol-ethoxylates, London, UK. OSPAR Convention, 2000.
-  R. Renner, European bans on surfactant trigger transatlantic debate, Environ. Sci. Technol. 31 (1997) 316–320.
-  J. Brendehaug et al., Toxicity testing and chemical characterisation of produced water—a preliminary study, Environ. Sci. Res. 46 (1992) 245–256.
-  L. Brooke, G. Thursby, Ambient aquatic life water quality criteria for nonylphenol. Washington DC, USA: Report for the United States EPA, Office of Water, Office of Science and Technology, 2005.
-  A. Soares et al., Nonylphenol in the environment: A critical review on occurrence, fate, toxicity and treatment in wastewaters, Environ. Int. 34 (2008) 1033-1049.
-  V. Jayaprakas, K. G. Padmanabhan, N. K. Balasubramanian, Food, feeding habits and breeding biology of the orange chromide Etroplus maculatus (Bloch), Bulletin of the Department of Aquatic Biology, University of Kerala, India. 4 (1979) 9-21.
-  M. Wu et al., Oxidative stress in zebrafish embryos induced by short-term exposure to bisphenol A, nonylphenol, and their mixture, Environ. Toxicol. Chem. 30 (2011) 2335–2341.
-  B. P. Yu, Cellular defenses against damage from reactive oxygen species, Physiol. Rev. 74 (1994) 139–162.
-  A. Valavanidis et al., Molecular biomarkers of oxidative stress in aquatic organisms in relation to toxic environmental pollutants, Ecotoxicol. Environ. Saf. 64 (2006) 178–189.
-  APHA. Standard methods for the examination of water and waste water, 20th Edition, Washington, DC., 1998.
-  O.H. Lowry et al., Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent, J. Biol. Chem. 193 (1951) 265–275.
-  S. Marklund, G. Marklund, Involvement of superoxide anion radical in antioxidation of pyrogallol and a constituent assay for superoxide dismutase, Eur. J. Biochem. 47 (1974) 469-474.
-  A. Claiborne, Catalase activity. In: CRC Handbook of methods for oxygen radical research. R Greenwald (ed.), CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida, 1985, pp 283-284.
-  I. Carlberg, B.J. Mannervik, Purification and characterization of the flavoenzyme glutathione reductase from rat liver, J. Biol. Chem. 250 (1985) 5474-5480.
-  E. Pick, Y. Keisari, Superoxide anion and H2O2 production by chemically elicited peritoneal macrophages-induced by multiple nonphagocytic stimuli, Cell. Immunol. 59 (1981) 301-318.
-  H. Ohkawa, N. Ohishi, K. Yagi, Assay for lipid peroxidation in animal tissues by thiobarbituric acid reaction, Anal. Biochem. 95 (1979) 351-358.
-  R.H. Devlin, Y. Nagahama, Sex determination and sex differentiation in fish: an overview of genetic, physiological and environmental influences, Aquaculture. 208 (2002) 191-364.
-  D.E. Kime, J.P. Nash, A.P. Scott, Vitellogenesis as a biomarker of reproductive disruption by xenobiotics, Aquaculture. 177 (1999) 345–352.
-  F. Lahnsteiner et al., The effect of 4-nonylphenol on semen quality, viability of gametes, fertilization success, and embryo and larvae survival in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss), Aquatic Toxicology. 71 (2005) 297–306.
-  K.P. Asifa, P.V. Vidya, K.C. Chitra, Assessment of median lethal concentration (LC50-96h) and behavioural modification of nonylphenol in the cichlid fish, Etroplus maculatus (Bloch, 1795), Int. J. Adv. Life Sci. (2016) (In press)
-  S. Pandey et al., Biomarkers of oxidative stress: A comparative study of river Yumuna fish Wallago attu (Bl. and Schn.), Sci. Total Environ. 309 (2003) 105–115.
-  B. Halliwell, J.M.C. Gutteridge, Free radicals in biology and medicine. Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1999.