Infection of European eel, Anguilla anguilla (L.) with the nematode Anguillicoloides crassus (Kuwahara, Niimi et Itagaki,1974) in Polish waters
Treść / Zawartość
The aim of this study was to determine the degree of Anguillicoloides crassus infection in European eel inhabiting Polish waters based on selected parasitic descriptors and on anatomical pathology of the swimbladder using macroscopic methods. In all, 154 European eel specimens were sampled from eleven sites in Poland and A. crassus was present in the swimbladder of 114 fish. The intensity of A. crassus infection in all the eel specimens ranged from 1 to 62 parasites at a mean value of 7.5. High values of mean infection intensity were noted in samples from Pomeranian lakes Bukowo, Łebsko, and Jamno. The health of the swimbladder was evaluated using the swimbladder degenerative index (SDI). The mean value of the SDI for all of the eel examined was 3.3, and extensively degenerated swimbladders were observed mainly in samples in the Szczecin Lagoon and from lakes. According to the individual SDI ratings, 9.1% of the eel specimens did not exhibit pathological symptoms of the swimbladder (SDI-0) and an extremely damaged (SDI-6) swimbladder was noted in 11.7% of the fish examined. In the case of eel infected with A. crassus, higher SDI values were reflected in initially increasing shares in subsequent categories. In fish that were not infected with the nematode, only 20% (8 individuals) of the swimbladders showed no symptoms of pathology (SDI-0).
- Bush AO, Lafferty KD, Lotz JM, Shostak AW (1997) Parasitologymeets ecology on its own terms: Margolis et al revisited. J Parasitol 83: 575-583.
- Egusa S (1979) Notes on the culture of the European eel (Anguilla anguilla) in Japanese eel-farming ponds. Rapp Pv Reun Cons Int Explor Mer 174: 51-58.
- Kangur A, Kangur P, Kangur K, (2002) Prevalence and intensity of Anguillicola crassus infection of the European eel, Anguilla anguilla (L.), in Lake Věrtsjarv (Estonia). Proc Estonian Acad Sci Biol Ecol 51: 62-73.
- Kennedy CR, Fitch DJ (1990) Colonization, larval survival and epidemiology of the nematode Anguillicola crassus, parasitic in the eel, Anguilla anguilla, in Britain. J Fish Biol 36: 117-131.
- Koops H, Hartmann F (1989) Anguillicola-infestations in Germany and in German eel imports. J Appl Ichthyol 1: 41-45.
- Lefebvre F, Acou A, Poizat G, Crivelli AJ (2003) Anguillicolosis among silver eels: a 2-year survey in 4 habitats from Camargue (Rhone delta, South of France). Bull Fr Pêche Piscic 368: 97-108.
- Lefebvre F, Contournet P, Crivelli AJ (2002) The health state of the eel swimbladder as a measure of parasite pressure by Anguillicola crassus. Parasitol 124: 457-463.
- Molnár K (1993) Effect of decreased oxygen content on eels (Anguilla anguilla) infected by Anguillicola crassus (Nematoda: Dracunculoidea). Acta Vet Hung 41: 349-360.
- Molnár K, Baska F, Csaba G, Glavits R, Szekely C (1993) Pathological and histopathological studies of the swimbladder of eels Anguilla anguilla infected by Anguillicola crassus (Nematoda: Dracunculoidea). Dis Aquat Organ 15: 41-50.
- Molnár K, Székely C, Baska F (1991) Mass mortality of eel Lake Balaton due to Anguillicola crassus infection. Bull Eur Ass Fish Pathol 11: 211-212.
- Moravec F, Di Cave D, Orecchia P, Paggi L (1994) Experimental observations on the development of Anguillicola crassus (Nematoda: Dracunculoidea) in its definitive host, Anguilla anguilla. Fol Parasitol 41: 138-148.
- Moravec F, Škoriková B, (1998) Amphibians and larvae of aquatic insects as new paratenic hosts of Anguillicola crassus (Nematoda: Dracunculoidea), a swimbladder parasite of eels. Dis Aquat Org 34: 217-222.
- Morozińska-Gogol J (2005) Occurrence of the Asiatic nematode Anguillicola crassus in European eel from the Łebsko Lagoon (central coast, Poland). Oceanol Hydrobiol Stud 34 (Suppl 1): 113-119.
- Palikova M, Navratil S (2001) Occurrence of Anguillicola crassus in the water reservoir Korycany (Czech Republic) and its influence on the health condition and haematological indices of eels. Acta Vet Brno 70: 443-449.
- Pilecka-Rapacz M, Kesminas V (2006) Investigations of the nematode Anguillicola crassus (Nematode, Dracunculoidea) in Lake Dringis, Lithuania. Ekologija 4: 65-69.
- Pilecka-Rapacz M, Sobecka E (2004) Nematodes of the intestine and swimbladder of the European eel Anguilla anguilla (L.) ascending Pomeranian rivers. Wiadomości Parazytologiczne 50:19-28.
- Rolbiecki L (2000) On the role of paratenic hosts in the life cycle of the nematode Anguillicola crassus in the Vistula Lagoon, Poland. Acta Ichthyol Piscat 32: 109-116.
- Rolbiecki L (2008) New data on the biology of the introduced exotic nematode Anguillicola crassus Kuwahara, Niimi et Itagaki, 1974 in the eel Anguilla anguilla in Lake Wdzydze (Polish waters). Oceanol Hydrobiol Stud 37: 37-48.
- Rolbiecki L, Rokicki J, Wojtkiewicz D (2000) The first record of the nematode Anguillicola crassus (Nematoda: Dracunculoidea) in eel of the Gulf of Gdańsk (Poland). Oceanol Hydrobiol Stud 29: 75-81.
- Sures B, Knopf K, Würtz J, Hirt J (1999) Richness and diversity of parasite communities in European eels Anguilla anguilla of the River Rhine, Germany, with special reference to helminth parasites. Parasitology 119: 323-330.
- Székely C, Palstra A, Molnar K, Van den Thillart G (2009) Impact of the swimbladder parasite on the health and performance of European Eel. Spawning Migration of the Eel. Fish and Fisheries Series 30: 201-226.
- Thomas K, Ollevier F (1992) Population biology of Anguillicola crassus in the final host Anguilla anguilla. Dis Aquat Organ 14: 163-170.
Rekord w opracowaniu