Serological evidence of lack of contact with caprine herpesvirus type 1 and bluetongue virus in goat population in Poland
Treść / Zawartość
Investigation into herd-level seroprevalence of caprine herpesvirus type 1 (CpHV-1) and bluetongue virus (BTV) was conducted in 2007 in Poland. It involved the entire population of goats covered by a milk recording program in 2007, which included 49 goat herds. The number of goats examined in each herd was determined statistically in order to detect the presence of at least one seropositive animal in a herd with a 95% probability and simple random method of sampling was applied. No antibodies to CpHV-1 or BTV were detected. Further calculations were carried out to determine the herd-level true seroprevalence, taking into account sensitivity and specificity of the test as well as several other factors. It can be concluded that till the middle of 2007 population of Polish goats covered by the milk recording program remained negative with respect to CpHV-1 and BTV.
- Division of Infectious Diseases and Epidemiology, Department of Large Animal Diseases with the Clinic, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Warsaw University of Life Sciences, Nowoursynowska 159c, 02-776 Warsaw, Poland
- Afshar A, Thomas FC, Wright PF, Shapiro JL, Shettigara PT, Anderson J (1987) Comparison of competitive and indirect enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays for detection of bluetongue virus antibodies in serum and whole blood. J Clin Microbiol 25: 1705-1710.
- Backx A, Heutink CG, van Rooij EM, van Rijn PA (2007) Clinical signs of bluetongue virus serotype 8 infection in sheep and goats. Vet Rec 161: 591-592.
- Baldock FC (1998) What constitutes freedom from disease in livestock? Aust Vet J 76: 544-545.
- Christensen J, Gardner IA (2000) Herd-level interpretation of test results for epidemiologic studies of animal diseases. Prev Vet Med 45: 83-106.
- Conraths FJ, Gethmann JM, Staubach C, Mettenleiter TC, Beer M, Hoffmann B (2009) Epidemiology of bluetongue virus serotype 8, Germany. Emerg Infect Dis 15: 433-435.
- Jordan D, McEwen SA (1998) Herd-level test performance based on uncertain estimates of individual test performance, individual true prevalence and herd true prevalence. Prev Vet Med 36: 187-209.
- Keuser V, Espejo-Serrano J, Schynts F, Georgin JP, Thiry E (2004) Isolation of caprine herpesvirus type 1 in Spain. Vet Rec 154: 395-399.
- Koptopoulos G, Papanastasopoulou M, Papadopoulos O, Ludwig H (1988) The epizootiology of caprine herpesvirus (BHV-6) infections in goat populations in Greece. Comp Immunol Microbiol Infect Dis 11: 199-205.
- Naresh A, Prasad G (1995) Relative superiority of c-ELISA for detection of bluetongue virus antibodies. Indian J Exp Biol 33: 880-882.
- Niedbalski W, Kęsy A (2008) Seroprevalence of antibodies against bluetongue virus in animals imported to Poland from EU countries. Pol J Vet Sci 11: 205-208.
- Noordhuizen JP, Thrusfield MV, Frankena K, Graat EAM (2001) Application of quantitative methods in veterinary epidemiology, 2nd ed., Wageningen Pers, Wageningen.
- Piper KL, Fitzgerald CJ, Ficorilli N, Studdert MJ (2008) Isolation of caprine herpesvirus 1 from a major outbreak of infectious pustular vulvovaginitis in goats. Aust Vet J 86: 136-138.
- Plebani GF, Engels M, Metzler AE, Wyler R (1983) Caprine herpesvirus in Switzerland: distribution, incidence and atency of infection. Schweiz Arch Tierheilkd 125: 395-411.
- Reddington JJ, Reddington GM, MacLachlan NJ (1991) A competitive ELISA for detection of antibodies to the group antigen of bluetongue virus. J Vet Diagn Invest 3: 144-147.
- Roperto F, Pratelli A, Guarino G, Ambrosio V, Tempesta M, Galati P, Iovane G, Buonavoglia C (2000) Natural caprine herpesvirus 1 (CpHV-1) infection in kids. J Comp Pathol 122: 298-302.
- Saegerman C, Berkvens D, Mellor PS (2008) Bluetongue epidemiology in the European Union. Emerg Infect Dis 14: 539-544.
- Thiry J, Saegerman C, Chartier C, Mercier P, Keuser V, Thiry E (2008) Serological evidence of caprine herpesvirus 1 infection in Mediterranean France. Vet Microbiol 128: 261-268.
- Thrusfield M (2007) Veterinary epidemiology, 3rd ed., Blackwell Publishing Ltd., Oxford.
- Uzal FA, Woods L, Stillian M, Nordhausen R, Read DH, Van Kampen H, Odani J, Hietala S, Hurley EJ, Vickers ML, Gard SM (2004) Abortion and ulcerative posthitis associated with caprine herpesvirus-1 infection in goats in California. J Vet Diagn Invest 16: 478-484.
- Vandenbussche F, Vanbinst T, Verheyden B, Van Dessel W, Demeestere L, Houdart P, Bertels G, Praet N, Berkvens D, Mintiens K, Goris N, De Clercq K (2008) Evaluation of antibody-ELISA and real-time RT-PCR for the diagnosis and profiling of bluetongue virus serotype 8 during the epidemic in Belgium in 2006. Vet Microbiol 129: 15-27.
- Wilson AJ, Mellor PS (2009) Bluetongue in Europe: past, present and future. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 364: 2669-2681.