In vitro antibacterial activity of liposomal polymyxin B incorporated into collagen sponge
The new antibacterial collagen dressing implant was constructed. The dressing was composed of collagen sponge saturated with liposomal polymyxin B (Lip-PolB). As a control an alternative dressing composed of collagen sponge saturated with free polymyxin B (Free-PolB) was used. The release of the antibiotic from the Lip-PolB was measured by diffusion of the drug into polyurethane sponge saturated with sterile broth employing “polyurethane sponge model” published previously. The antibiotic was released from Lip-PolB four times slower than from Free-PolB. Antibacterial activity of the dressing was tested using also polyurethane sponge model, with polyurethane sponge saturated with the bacterial broth culture of P. aeruginosa (108 CFU/ml). After 1, 2 and 3 days of incubation at 37°C, polyurethane sponges were sonicated in the tubes with PBS; then the CFU number was examined by plating. The Lip-PolB proved again to be several times less effective than Free-PolB. We can draw a conclusion that collagen sponge with liposomal polymyxin B can serve as an effective reservoir of the drug for control of infection in superficial wounds. However, the concentration of liposomal drug applied topically should be several times higher than the concentration of free drug.
- 1. Boyce, S. T., Supp, A. P., Warden, G. D., Holder, I. A. Antimicrob. Agent Chemother. 37 (1993) 1890-1895.
- 2. Ney, A. L, Granja, J. G., Schuster, P. A., Tsukayama, D. T., Jacobs, D. M., Bubrick, M P. J. Surg. Res. 57 (1994) 698-705.
- 3. Price, C. I., Horton, J. W., Baxter, C. R. J. Surg. Res. 49 (1990) 174-178.
- 4. Weiner, A. L, Carpenter-Green, S. S., Soehngen, E. C., Lenk, R. P., Popescu, M. C. J. Pharm. Sci. 74 (1985) 922-925.
- 5. Gabrijelèiè, V., Šentjurc, M. Int. J. Pharm. 118 (1995) 207-212.
- 6. Kim, S. W., Bae, Y. H., Okano, T. Pharm. Res. 9 (1992) 283-290.
- 7. New, R. R. C. in: Liposomes. A practical approach, (New, R. R. C., Ed ), Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1990, 33-103.
- 8. Grzybowski, J., Antos, M., Trafny, E. A. J. Pharm. Toxicol. Methods (1996) (in press)
- 9. Antos, M., Trafny, E. A., Grzybowski, J. Pharm. Res. 32 (1995) 85-87.
- 10. Nicholov, R., Khoury, A. E., Bruce, A. W., DiCosmo, F. Cells and Mat. 3 (1993) 321-326.