Asynchrony of the reproductive organs of the male vespertilionid bat, Scotophilus heathi: role of gonadotrophins
Changes in the LH-cells of the anterior pituitary in relation to the reproductive cycle in the male Scotophilus heathi (Horsfield, 1831) are described. Immunocyto- chemical studies of the pituitary suggested two annual peaks of LH accumulation and release each associated with a period of active spermatogenesis and testosterone secretion. Further, in vitro study showed differences in testicular responsiveness to LH stimulation during November (a period of active spermatogenesis) and December (winter dormancy). Present study further showed that FSH is also capable of stimulating androgen secretion from the testis. Testicular FSH responsiveness varies from recrudescence to winter dormancy and this may be responsible for maintaining high circulating androstenedione production in S. heathi during this period.
- Abhilasha and Krishna A. 1996. High androgen production by ovarian thecal interstitial cells: a mechanism for delayed ovulation in a tropical vespertilionid bat, Scotophilus heathi. Journal of Reproduction and Fertility 106: 207-211.
- Anthony E. L. P. and Gustafson A. W. 1984. Seasonal variations in pituitary LH-gonadotrophs of the hibernating bat, Myotis lucifugus lucifugus: An immunohistochemical study. American Journal of Anatomy 170: 101-115.
- Badwaik N. K. 1988. Cytology and seasonal changes of the pituitary of the emballonurid bat, Tapho- zous melanopogon (Temnick). Proceeding of Indian Academic of Sciences (Animal Sciences) 97: 479-489.
- Blake C. A. 1980. Correlative study of changes in the morphology of the LH-gonadotroph and anterior pituitary gland LH secretion during the 4-day rat estrous cycle. Biology of Reproduction 23: 1097-1108.
- Chandrashekar V., Majumdar S. S. and Bartke A. 1994. Assessment of the role of follicle-stimulating hormone and prolactin in the control of testicular endocrine function in adult Djungarian hamsters (.Phodopus sungorus) exposed to either short or long photoperiod. Biology of Reproduction 50: 82-87.
- Chen Y. D. L., Payne A. H. and Kelch R. P. 1976. FSH stimulation of Leydig cell function in the hypophysectomized immature rat. Proceeding of Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine 153: 473-475.
- Clarke J. R. and Forsyth I. A. 1964. Seasonal changes in the adenohypophysis of the role (Microtus agrestis). General and Comparative Endocrinology 4: 243-252.
- Furumura K., Ota K. and Yokayama A. 1985. Response of interstitial cells of the testes in the house musk shrew, Suncus murinus L., to various gonadotrophins. Theriogenology 24: 319-325.
- Gaytan F., Bellido C., Morales C., van Rooijen N. and Aguilar E. 1995. Role of testicular macrophages in the response of Leydig cells to gonadotrophins in young hypophysectomized rats. Journal of Endocrinology 147: 463-471.
- Grimek H. J., Nuti L. S., Nuti K. M. and McShan W. H. 1976. Effect of neuraminidase treatment on the biological activity of highly purified ovine FSH and LH in hypophysectomized immature male rat. Endocrinology 98: 105-110.
- Gustafson A. W. 1979. Male reproductive patterns in hibernating bats. Journal of Reproduction and Fertility 56: 317-331.
- Gustafson A. W. 1987. Changes in Leydig cell activity during the annual testicular cycle of the bat (Myotis lucifugus lucifugus): Histology and lipid histochemistry. American Journal of Anatomy 178: 312-325.
- Herlant M. and Ectors F. 1969. Les cellules gonadotrophes de l'hypophyse chez le pore. Zeitschrift fur Zellforschung und Mikroskopische Anatomie 101: 212-231.
- Holmes R. L. 1963. Gonadotrophic and thyrotropic cells of the pituitary gland of the ferret. Journal of Endocrinology 25: 495-504.
- Krishna A. and Singh K. 1997. The relationship between testicular activity, accessory sex organ and circulating steroid concentration during reproductive cycle of an Indian male vespertilionid bat, Scotophilus heathi. Canadian Journal of Zoology 75: 1042-1050.
- Matikainen T,. Toppari J., Vihko K. K. and Huhtaniemi I. 1994. Effects of recombinant human FSH in immature hypophysectomized male rats: Evidence for Leydig cell-mediated action on spermatogenesis. Journal of Endocrinology 141: 449-457.
- Odell W. D. and Swerdloff R. S. 1976. Etiology of sexual maturation: a model system based on the sexually maturing rat. Recent Progress in Hormonal Research 32: 245-288.
- O'Shaughnessy P. J., Bennett M. K., Scott I. S. and Charlton H. M. 1992. Effects of FSH on Leydig cell morphology and function in the hypogonadal mouse. Journal of Endocrinology 135: 517-525.
- Singh K. and Krishna A. 1995. Inhibitory effects of melatonin on testosterone but not on andro- stenedione production during winter in the vespertilionid bat, Scotophilus heathi. Journal of Pineal Research 19(3): 127-132.
- Singh K. and Krishna A. 1996. Seasonal changes in circulating serum concentration and in vitro testicular secretion of testosterone and androstenedione in the male vespertilionid bat, Scotophilus heathi. Journal of Experimental Zoology 276: 43-52.
- Sternberger L. A., Hardy P. H., Cuculis J. J. and Meyer H. C. 1970. The unlabelled antibody enzyme method of immunohistochemistry. Preparation and properties of soluble antigen-antibody complex (horseradish-antiperoxidase) and its use in identification of spirochetes. Journal of Histochemistry and Cytochemistry 18: 315-333.