Changes in soluble sugars in relation to desiccation tolerance and effects of dehydration on freezing characteristics of Acer platanoides and Acer pseudoplatanus seeds
The role of soluble sugars in desiccation tolerance was investigated in seeds of two species from the genus Acer: Norway maple (Acer platanoides L.) — tolerant and sycamore (Acer pseudoplatanus L.) — intolerant to dehydration. During two years of observations it was found that seeds of Norway maple acquire desiccation tolerance at the end of August i.e. about 125 days after flowering (DAF). During seed development, the transition from intolerant to tolerant state in Norway maple seeds was accompanied by the accumulation in seed tissues of raffinose, stachyose and sucrose. The sucrose/raffinose ratio in Norway maple seeds was lower than in sycamore. In mature Norway maple seeds sucrose and raffinose contents were higher than in sycamore. It was concluded, that soluble sugars such as sucrose, raffinose and stachyose may play an important role in desiccation tolerance and/or intolerance of Norway maple and sycamore seeds. Differential thermal analysis (DTA) was used to study the relationship between desiccation sensitivity and the state of water in seed tissues. The level of non-freezable water was the same in both analysed seed species, but the temperature of water crystallization during desiccation was lower in sycamore seeds.
- Amuti K.S., Pollard G.J. 1977. Soluble carbohydrates of dry and developing seeds. Phytochem., 16: 529–532.
- Bewley J.D. 1979. Physiological aspects of desiccation tolerance. Ann. Rev. Plant Physiol., 30: 195–238.
- Bernal-Lugo I., Leopold A.C. 1992. Changes in soluble carbohydrates during seed storage. Plant Physiol., 98: 1207–1210.
- Blackman S.A., Wettlaufer S.H., Obendorf R.L., Leopold A.C. 1991. Maturation proteins associated with desiccation tolerance in soybean. Plant Physiol., 96: 868–874.
- Blackman S.A., Obendorf R.L., Leopold A.C. 1992. Maturation proteins and sugars in desiccation tolerance of developing soybean seeds. Plant Physiol., 100: 225–230.
- Bochicchio A., Rizzi E., Balconi C., Vernieri P., Vazzana C. 1994. Sucrose and raffinose contents and acquisition of desiccation tolerance in immature maize embryos. Seed Sci. Res., 4: 123–126.
- Bruni F., Leopold A.C. 1991. Glass transition in soybean seed. Relevance to anhydrous biology. Plant Physiol., 96: 660–663.
- Bruni F. 1993. Cytoplasmic glass formation in plant seeds. In: Fourth International Workshop on Seeds. Basic and Applied Aspects of Seed Biology, ed.by D. Come, F. Corbineau, Paris, ASFIS, 747–754.
- Caffrey M., Fonseca V., Leopold A.C. 1988. Lipid-sugar interactions. Relevance to anhydrous biology. Plant Physiol., 86: 754–758.
- Chen Y., Burris J.S. 1990. Role of carbohydrates in desiccation tolerance and membrane behavior in maturing maize seed. Crop Sci., 30: 971–975.
- Chylarecki H., Straus H. 1968. Results of phenological observation in the years 1953–1962 on trees and shrubs of foreign origin cultivated in the Kórnik Arboretum. Arboretum Kórnickie, 13: 37–120.
- Crowe J.H., Crowe LM., Carpenter J.F., Aurel Wistrom C. 1987. Stabilization of dry phosholipid bilayers and proteins by sugars. Bioch. J., 242: 1–10.
- Dickie J.B., May K., Morris S.V.A., Titley S.E. 1991. The effect of desiccation on seed survival in Acer platanoides L. and Acer pseudoplatanus L. Seed Sci. Res., 1: 149–162.
- Dure L. III, Crouch M., Harada J., Ho T.H.D., Mundy J., Quatrano R.S., Thomas T., Sung Z.R. 1989. Common amino acid sequence domains among LEA proteins of higher plants. Plant Mol. Biol. 12: 475–486.
- Ellis R.H., Hong T.D., Roberts E.H. 1990. An intermediate category of seed storage behavior? I. Caffee. J. Exp. Bot., 41: 1167–1174.
- Farrant J.M., Pammenter N.W., Berjak P. 1993. A contrubution to an understanding of desiccation tolerance from a study of a desiccation sensitive seed species. In: Fourth International Workshop on Seeds: Basic and Applied Aspects of Seed Biology, ed. by D. Come, F. Corbineau, Paris, ASFIS, 715–722.
- Gee H.O., Propert R.J., Coomber S.A. 1994. “Dehydrin-like” proteins and desiccation tolerance in seeds. Seed Sci. Res., 4: 135–141.
- Hoekstra F.A., Crowe J.H., Crowe L.M. 1990. Membrane behavior in drought and its physiological significance. In: Recent Advances in the Development and Germination Seeds, ed. by R.B. Taylorson, New York, Plenum Press, 71–126.
- Hong T.D., Ellis R.H. 1990. A comparison of maturation drying, germination and desiccation tolerance between developing seeds of Acer pseudoplatanus L. and Acer palatanoides L. New Phytol., 116: 589–596.
- Hor Y.L., Stanwood P.C., Chin H.F. 1990. Effects of dehydration on freezing characteristics and survival in liquid nitrogen of three recalcitrant seeds. Pertanica, 13: 309–314.
- Kermode A.R., Bewley J.D. 1986. Alteration of genetically regulated syntheses in in seed desiccation. In: Membrane, Metabolism and Dry Organisms., ed. by A.C. Leopold, Cornel University Press, Ithaca, London, 59–84.
- Koster K.L., Leopold A.C. 1988. Sugars and desiccation tolerance in seeds. Plant Physiol., 88: 829–832.
- Koster K.L. 1991. Glass formation and desiccation tolerance in seeds. Plant Physiol. 96: 302–304.
- Leprince O., Bronchart R., Deltour R. 1990. Changes in starch and soluble sugars in relation to the desiccation tolerance during maturation of Brassica campestris seed. Plant Cell Environ. 13: 539–546.
- Leprince O., Hendry G.A., McKersie B.D. 1993. The mechanism of desiccation tolerance in developing seeds. Seed Sci. Res., 3: 231–246.
- Leopold A.C., Sun W.Q., Bernal-Lugo I. 1994. The glassy state in seed analysis and function. Seed Sci. Res., 4: 267–274.
- Ooms J.J.J., Leon-Kloosterziel K., Bartels D., Koornneei M., Karssen C.M. 1993. Acquisition of desiccation tolerance and longevity in seeds of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Physiol., 102: 1185–1191.
- Pammenter N.W., Vertucci C.W., Berjak P. 1993. Responses to dehydration in relation to non-freezable water in desiccation- sensitive and -tolerant seeds. In: Fourth International Workshop on Seeds: Basic and Applied Aspects of Seed Biology. ed. by D. Come, F. Corbineau, Paris, ASFIS, 867–872.
- Pukacki P. 1987. Deep supercooling of shoot and bud tissues of Picea abies. Forest Ecol. Manag., 20: 97–103.
- Pukacki P.M., McKersie B.D. 1990. Supercooling and ice nucleation events in the crown of winter wheat seedlings. Can. J. Plant Sci., 70: 1179–1182.
- Roberts E.H. 1973. Predicting the storage life of seeds. Seed Sci. Tech., 1: 499–514.
- Vertucci C.V. 1990. Calorimetric studies of the state of water in seed tissues. Biophys. J. 58: 1463–1471.
- Williams R.L., Leopold A.C. 1989. The glassy state in corn embryos. Plant Physiol., 89: 977–981.