Accelerated and natural ageing processes change the properties of plasma membrane in Norway spruce (Picea abies (L.) Karst.) seeds during storage
Treść / Zawartość
The present study examines the mechanism of natural and accelerated ageing processes in Norway spruce (Picea abies [L.] Karst.) seeds stored at low temperature for one (control) and eight years. The analyses of vitality, electrolyte leakage, protein composition and activity of the proton-pump ATPase (P-ATPase, EC.22.214.171.124) in plasma membrane of Norway spruce seeds have been investigated. Seeds collected in 1999 from northeastern Poland have been treated with accelerated ageing method and compared to the seeds of the same provenance, collected in 1992 (control). The vigor and the vitality of the Norway spruce seeds depend on the age of seeds. After 6 days of experiment both samples of seeds (artificially aged seeds and control) expressed the same percentage of germination and similar electrolyte leakage. Analysis of protein composition in the extracts showed an increased amount of some low molecular-weight proteins in artificially and naturally aged seeds compared to the control. Our results indicate similar level of P-ATPase activity in natural, artificially aged and control seeds. This suggests that natural ageing process can involve changes in plasma membrane protein composition but does not affect the P-ATPase activity.
- Bradford M. 1976. A rapid and sensitive method for the quantification of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Analytical Biochemistry 72: 248–254.
- Kacperska A. 1998. Reakcje roślin na czynniki stresowe. In: Podstawy fizjologii roślin, p. 575–633. Państwowe Wydawnictwo PWN, Warszawa.
- Laemmli U.K. 1970. Cleavage of structural proteins of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature 227: 680–685.
- Leinonen K. 1998. Effect of storage conditions on dormancy and vigor of Picea abies seeds. New Forest 16: 231–249.
- Leshem V.Y., Halevy A. H., Frenkel C. 1996. Processes and control of plant senescence. Elsevier Amsterdam-Oxford.
- Lin T. and Morales M.F. 1977. Application of a one step procedure for measuring inorganic phosphate in the presence of proteins: The actomyosin ATPase system. Analytical Biochemistry 77: 10–17.
- Rakowski K., Behzadipour M., Ratajczak R., Kluge M. 1998. Effect of seeds freezing and storage conditions on plasma membrane properties of Norway spruce (Picea abies Karst.) seedlings. Botanica Acta 111: 236–240.