The TDP method of seed yield component analysis in grain legume breeding
The results of plant breeding trials with populations of fodder pea strains and broad bean hybrids were the basis of consideration on the interrelationship between some traits - the yield structure elements. Developed by Eaton, a relatively new method of yield component analysis called the two-dimensional partitioning method (TDP) was applied to analyse the data. The method, which combines multiple regression and ANOVA, allows for concise tabular presentation and simple interpretation of the distribution of traits in one direction and the sources of variance according to ANOVA model in the other direction. Additionally, the interpretation of the results was supported by such standard statistical techniques as ANOVA, simple and multiple regression and path analysis. The main components of pea yielding were plant height and the number of pods per plant. Among the analysed characters of broad bean the number of nodes with pods on the main stem, which turned out to be the determinant of broad bean yielding, might be strongly affected by environmental conditions. The number of nodes with pods might be considered a selecting character of high potential yielding of broad bean genotypes.
- Eaton G.W. (1986). Two-dimensional partitioning of yield variation. Hort. Sci. 21(4): 1052-1053.
- Gołaszewski J. (1996). A method of yield component analysis. Listy Biometryczne - Biometrical Letters 33(2): 79-88.
- Gołaszewski J., Puzio-Idźkowska M. (1996). Path analysis in estimation of interdependence of some seed yield components of edible field pea. (in Polish). Bulletin of Plant Breeding and Acclimatization Institute 200: 317-322.
- Gołaszewski J., Milewska J., Koczowska I. (1996). Two-dimensional partitioning in yield variation of field bean (Vida faba L.) strains, (in Polish). Acta Acad. Agricult. Tech. Olst., Agricultura 63: 147-153.
- Milewska J., Gołaszewski J., Koczowska I. (1996). The variability of some morphological traits of broad bean strains, (in Polish). Bulletin of Plant Breeding and Acclimatization Institute 200: 339-348.
- Poulsen M.H. (1974). Effect of mode seed setting on yield and earliness in Vicia faba. Z. Pflanzenzüchtung 72(2): 120-131.
- Puzio-Idźkowska M. (1995). An attempt of multipodded field pea (Pisum sativum L.) breeding. Proc. 2nd Eur. Conf. Grain Legumes, Copenhagen - Denmark: 217.
- Winer B.J. (1971). Statistical principles in experimental design. (2nd edn.). McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York.