Comparison of pyruvate kinase variants from rat liver and Morris hepatoma 7777, obtained by an affinity chromatography on Blue Sepharose CL-6B
Fractions A (salted out by ammonium sulphate between 21 - 30% saturation), and fractions B (salted out between 51 - 70% saturation) of pyruvate kinase (EC 220.127.116.11.) corresponding respectively to pyruvate kinase types L and M2 from rat liver and Morris hepatoma 7777 were purified by an affinity chromatography on Blue Sepharose CL-6B. Peaks of inactive proteins were eliminated and the enzyme fractions bound biospecifically to the gels were eluted by free ADP. The molecular mass of purified hepatoma pyruvate kinase fraction B was smaller than that of liver pyruvate kinase fraction B. Morris hepatoma pyruvate kinase fraction B represented a variant of type M2, characterised by greatest affinity to 2-phosphoenolpyruvate as a main substrate and different sensitivity to low-molecular effectors in comparison with types L from both liver and hepatoma and in comparison with type M2 from normal rat liver. Only this hepatoma fraction B showed a tumour specific sensitivity to L-cysteine and was insensitive to normal signal molecules i.e. to ATP and fructose-l,6-diphosphate which influence liver pyruvate kinase activity. L-Cysteine inhibited the tumour fraction B of pyruvate kinase by decreasing its Vmax and increasing the Km values in relation to 2-phosphoenolpyruvate.
- 1. Kedryna, T., Guminska, M. & Marchut, E., (1983) The inhibitory effect of L-cysteine and its derivatives on glycolysis in Ehrlich ascites tumour cells. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 763,64 - 71.
- 2. Guminska, M., Stachurska, M.B. & Ignacak, J., (1988) Pyruvate kinase (PK) isoenzymes in chromatin extracts of Ehrlich ascites tumour, Morris hepatoma 7777 and normal mouse and rat livers. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 966,207 - 213.
- 3. Marchut, E., Guminska, M., Kedryna, T., Radzikowski, Cz. & Kusmierczyk, H. (1988) A pyruvate kinase variant in different mouse transplanted tumours. Experientia 44,25 - 27.
- 4. Kedryna, T., Guminska, M. & Marchut, E. (1990) Pyruvate kinase from cytosolic fractions of the Ehrlich ascites tumour, normal mouse liver, and skeletal muscle. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1039,130 -133.
- 5. Esterday, R.L. & Esterday, I.M. (1974) Affinity chromatography of kinases and dehydrogenases on Sephadex and Sepharose dye derivatives; in: Immobilized Biochemicals and Affinity Chromatography (Dunlap, R.B., ed.) pp. 123 -133, Plenum Press, New York.
- 6. Ramadoss, C.S., Steczko, J., Uhling, J.W. & Axelrod, B. (1983) Effect of albumin on binding and recovery of enzymes in affinity chromatography on Cibacron Blue. Anal. Biochem. 131,481-484.
- 7. Laemmli, U.K. (1970) Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature (London) 227,680-685.
- 8. Biicher, T. & Pfleiderer, G. (1955) Pyruvate kinase from muscle; in Methods in Enzymology (Collowick, S.P. & Kaplan, N.O., eds.) vol. 1, pp. 435 - 440, Academic Press, New York.
- 9. Guminska, M., Ptak, W. & Zembala, M. (1975) Macrophage metabolism. Phagocytosis and digestion of normal and IgG antibody-coated sheep erythrocytes. Enzyme 19,24 - 37.
- 10. Lowry, O.H., Rosebrough, N.I., Farr, A.L. & Randall, R.I. (1951) Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent. }. Biol. Chem. 193, 265 -275.
- 11. Tanaka, T., Harano, Y., Sue, P. & Morimura, H. (1967) Crystallization, characterization and metabolic regulation of two types of pyruvate kinase isolated from rat tissues. ]. Biochem. 62,71 -91.
- 12. Imamura, K. & Tanaka, T. (1972) Multimolecular forms of pyruvate kinase from rat and other mammalian tissues. I. Electrophoretic studies. /. Biochem. 71,1043 - 1051.
- 13. Imamura, K, Taniuchi, K. & Tanaka, T. (1972) Multimolecular forms of pyruvate kinase. II. Purification of M2-type pyruvate kinase from Yoshida ascites hepatoma 130 cells and comparative studies on the enzymological and immunological properties of the three types of pyruvate kinase L, Mi, and M2 . J. Biochem. 72, 1001 -1015.
- 14. Suda, M. (1967) A view of the comparison of the regulation of enzymes in mammalian and microbial system. Adv. Enz. Regul. 5,181 - 209.
- 15. Farina, F.A., Shatton, J.B., Morris, H.P. & Weinhouse, S. (1974) Isozymes of pyruvate kinase in liver and hepatomas of the rat. Cane. Res. 14,1439 - 1446.
- 16. Balinsky, D., Cayanis, E. & Bersolin, L. (1972) Comparative kinetic study of human pyruvate kinase isolated from adult and fetal livers and from hepatomas. Biochemistry 12,863 - 870.
- 17. Taylor, C.B., Morris, H.P. & Weber, G. (1969) A comparison of the properties of pyruvate kinase from hepatoma 3924-A, normal liver and muscle. Life Sci. 8,635 - 644.
- 18. Carbonell, J., Feliu, J.E., Marco, R. & Sols, A. (1973) Pyruvate kinase. Classes of regulatory isoenzymes in mammalian tissues. Eur. J. Biochem. 37,148 - 156.
- 19. Van Berkel, T.J.C., Koster, J.F. & Holsmann, W.C. (1973) Some kinetic properties of the allosteric M-type pyruvate kinase from rat liver, influence of pH and the nature of amino acid inhibition. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 321,171 -180.
- 20. Feliu, J.E., Diaz, J.J., Garcia-Canero, R. & Gosalvez, M. (1975) Interconvertibile forms of class A pyruvate kinase from Ehrlich ascites tumour cells. FEBS Lett. 50,334 - 338.
- 21. Gosalvez, M., Lopez-Alarcon, L., Garcia-Suarez, S., Montalvo, A. & Weinhouse, S. (1975) Stimulation of tumor cell respiration by inhibitors of pyruvate kinase. Eur. J. Biochem. 55, 315-321.
- 22. Gumińska, M., Briand, P., Daehnfeldt, J.L. & Kieler, J. (1969) Changes in the pyruvate kinase and lactate dehydrogenase activity in rat lung during cultivation and spontaneous development of malignancy in vitro. Eur. J. Cane. 5,597 - 604.
- 23. Ibsen, K.H., Trippet, P. & Basabe, J. (1975) Properties of rat pyruvate kinase isozymes; in Isozymes (Markert, C.L., ed.) vol. 1, pp. 543 - 559, Academic Press, Inc., New York.
- 24. Atkinson, D.E. (1968) The energy charge of the adenylate pool as a regulatory parameter. Interaction with feedback modifiers. Biochemistry 7,4030 - 4034.
- 25. Taylor, C.B. & Bailey, E. (1967) Activation of liver pyruvate kinase by fructose-l,6-diphosphate. Biochem. J. 102,32c - 33c.
- 26. Gosalvez, M., Garcia-Suares, S. & Lopez-Ala- cron, L. (1978) Metabolic control of glycolysis in normal and tumour permeabilized cells. Cane. Res. 38,142 - 148.
- 27. Gosalvez, M., Garcia, J.P. & Weinhouse, S. (1974) Competition for ADP between pyruvate kinase and mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation as a control mechanism in glycolysis. Eur. ]. Biochem. 46,133 -140.
- 28. Farron, F„ Hsu, H.H.T. & Knox, W.E. (1972) Fetal type isoenzymes in hepatic and non-hepatic rat tumours. Cane. Res. 32,302 - 308.
- 29. Criss, W.E. (1969) A new pyruvate kinase isozyme in hepatomas. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 35,901 - 905.
- 30. Gumińska, M., Stachurska, M.B., Christensen, B., Tromholt, V., Kieler, J., Radzikowski, Cz. & Duś, D. (1989) Pyruvate kinase inhibited by L-cysteine as a marker of tumorigenic human urothelial cell lines. Experientia 45,571 - 574.
- 31. Weber, G. (1968) Carbohydrate metabolism in cancer cells and the molecular correlation concept. Naturwissenschaften 55,410 - 429.
- 32. Weber, G. (1977) Enzymology of cancer cells. New Engl. J. Med. 296,486 - 493; 541 - 551.