Seasonal dynamics of phytoplankton in the inner Neva Estuary in the 1980s and 1990s
Treść / Zawartość
The phytoplankton in the inner Neva Estuary is described from data obtained from 1996 to 2000.T he seasonal dynamics of the phytoplankton biomass are characterized by a bimodal curve with a summer maximum.T he average seasonal biomass was approximately 3 mg l−1, the maximum biomass was 8–11 mg l−1. The species composition and quantitative parameters were compared to those observed in the 1980s.A notable, nearly 1.5–2 fold, increase in the biomass in the summer–autumn period and the predominance of Oscillatoria species among the blue-green algae were observed.A decline in the nutrient load in the water body at the end of the 1990s appeared to be insufficient to bring about a decrease in the proportion of Oscillatoria algae in the total species composition or a decline in the biomass of the entire phytoplankton community. In 2000 a certain change in the structural composition of the phytoplankton complex was noted.S pecies that had been predominant in the 1980s and had lost their advantage in the early 1990s, regained their earlier status.
- Alimov A.F ., 2000, Elements of aquatic ecosystem function theory, Nauka, St.P etersburg, 147 pp.
- Alimov A.F ., Golubkov S.M., Panov V.E. , 1996, Regularities of functioning and management strategy for the Neva Estuary ecosystems, [in:] Ecological state of aquatic ecosystems in the Neva River basin, A.F . Alimov & A.K . Frolov (eds.), Sci.C enter RAS, St.P etersburg, 187–203, (in Russian).
- Basova S., Lange E., 1998, Trends in late summer phytoplankton in the Neva Bay and eastern Gulf of Finland during 1978 to 1990, Memo.So c. Fauna Flora Fenn., 74, 1–14.
- Blomqvist P., Pettersson A., Hyenstrand P., 1994, Ammonium-nitrogen: a key regulatory factor causing dominance of non-nitrogen-fixing cyanobacteria in aquatic systems, Arch.H ydrobiol., 132, 2, 141–164.
- Golubkov S. M., Balushkina E. V., Anokhina L.E., Nikulina V. N., Orlova M. I., Panov V. E., Umnova L.P., 2001, The role of biological active zones in the organic pollution and purification of the Neva Estuary, Proc.Zo ol.Inst . Russ. Acad.S ci., 289, 95–100.
- Gorbatsky V., Ivanov G., Ivanov D., Litvin A., 1997, Hydrodynamic processes and diffusion of phytoplankton in the east part of the Gulf of Finland, Proc. Final Seminar of the Gulf of Finland Year 1996, Helsinki, 105, 341–346.
- Kauppila P., H¨allfors G., Kangas P., Kokkonen P., Basova S., 1995, Late summer phytoplankton species composition and biomasses in the eastern Gulf of Finland, Ophelia, 42, 179–191.
- Kondratyev S.A ., Gronskaya T.P., Sorokin I.N ., Alyabina G.A ., Efremova L.V ., Ignatieva N.V ., 1999, External Load of the Gulf of Finland, [in:] Finnish Gulf under the anthropogenic impact, V. A.Rumia ntsev & V. G.Dr abkova (eds.), Inst.Lak es Res.R AS, St.P etersburg, 304–354, (in Russian).
- Lisitzin A.P., 1999, The continental-ocean boundary as a marginal filter in the world oceans, [in:] Biogeochemical cycling and sediment ecology, J. S. Gray, W. Ambrose & A.Sza niawska (eds.), Kluwer Acad.P ubl. (The Netherlands), 69–103.
- Makarova S.V ., 1997, Species composition and quantitative characters of phytoplankton, [in:] Estimation of the current state of the Gulf of Finland, part 2, I.N. Davidan & O.P. Savchuk (eds.), Gidrometeoizdat, St. Petersburg, 354–365, (in Russian).
- Nikulina V.N ., 1987, Dynamics of numbers and biomass of phytoplankton, [in:] Neva Bay: Hydrobiological investigations, G.G. Vinberg & B.L. Gutelmakher (eds.), Nauka, Leningrad, 20–29, (in Russian).
- Nikulina V.N ., 1989, Blue-green algae in the eastern Gulf of Finland, Tr. Zool. Inst.A kad.N auk SSSR, 205, 26–35, (in Russian).
- Nikulina V.N ., 1991, Composition, distribution and annual variation of phytoplankton in the eastern Gulf of Finland, [in:] Studies of the phytoplankton in the monitoring system of the Baltic and other seas of the USSA, I. Y. Agarova & E.U . Gupalo (eds.), Gidrometeoizdat, Moskva, 55–69, (in Russian).
- Nikulina V.N ., 1996, Plankton algae as an indicator of the ecological condition of water bodies, [in:] Ecological state of aquatic ecosystems in the Neva River basin, A.F. Alimov & A.K.F rolov (eds.), Sci.Cen ter RAS, St.P etersburg, 13–35, (in Russian).
- Nikulina V.N ., Trifonova I.S ., Letanskaja G.I ., Pavlova O.A., 1999, Phytoplankton, [in:] Finnish Gulf under the anthropogenic impact, V. A. Rumiantsev & V. G.Dr abkova (eds.), Inst.La kes Res. RAS, St.P etersburg, 108–137, (in Russian).
- Panov V.E. , Alimov A.F ., Golubkov S.M., Orlova M.I ., Telesh I.V ., 2002, Environmental problems and challenges for the coastal zone management in the Neva estuary (eastern Gulf of Finland), [in:] Baltic coastal ecosystems. Structure, function and coastal zone management, G.Sc hernewski & U. Schiewer (eds.), Springer–Verlag, Berlin–Heidelberg, (Central and Eastern Europe Development Studies), 171–184.
- Pitkänen H., Laine A., Kotta J., 2002, The role of benthic phosphorus release in the nutrient budget of the Gulf of Finland, Baltic Sea, Symp.Cha nging State of the Gulf of Finland Ecosystem, Tallinn, 28–30 October 2002, 33 pp., (abstracts).
- Pitkänen H., V¨alipakka P., 1997, Extensive deep water oxygen deficit and benthic phosphorus release in the eastern Gulf of Finland in late summer 1996, Proc. Final Seminar of the Gulf of Finland Year 1996, Helsinki, 105, 51–55.
- Sakamoto M., Okino T., 2000, Self-regulation of cyanobacterial blooms in a eutrophic lake, Verh. Int.V erein.Li mnol., 27, 1243–1249.
- Shishkin B.A., Nikulina V.N., Maksimov A.A., Silina N. I., 1989, Basic characteristics of the biota in the easternmost Gulf of Finland and its impact on water quality development, [in:] Studies of the River Neva, the Neva Bay and the eastern Gulf of Finland, I.A. Shiklomanov & L.J . Preobrazhennsky (eds.), Gidrometeoizdat, Leningrad, 96 pp., (in Russian).
- Telesh I.V ., Nikulina V.N ., 1997, Water quality classification based on plankton communities, Proc.F inal Seminar of the Gulf of Finland Year 1996, Helsinki, 105, 167–175.
- Trifonova I. S., Nikulina V.N., Pavlova O.A., 1998, The autumn phytoplankton as an indicator of the ecological condition of the water system Lake Ladoga–River Neva–Neva Bay – eastern Gulf of Finland, Vod.R esursy, 25, 2, 223–230.
- Utermöhl H., 1958, Zur Vervollkommnung der quantitativen Phytoplanktonmethodik, Mitt. Int.V erein. Theor.A ngew.Li mnol., 9, 1–38.
- Varis O., 1993, Cyanobacteria dynamics in a restored Finnish lake: a long term simulation study, Hydrobiologia, 268, 3, 129–145.
- Znamenskiy V.A ., 2000, Ecological safety of the St. Petersburg aquatic system, St.Petersburg State Univ., St. Petersburg, 120 pp., (in Russian).