Pollution in Melendiz Water Basin groundwater
In our study, samples were taken from the groundwater that is used for drinking and irrigation in the Melendiz Water Basin, and the quality of water and the factors causing pollution were determined by evaluating them according to "Continental Water Sources Quality Classification Criterions" (Republic of Turkey Ministry of Environment and Forest/Regulation for Water Pollution Control). When the analysis results of samples taken between 2006 and 2009 were compared, it was determined that the amount of pollution increased in time. Moreover, the seasonal variations of ground water quality criterions were determined and the precautions that should be taken to minimize this pollution were discussed.
- 1. GOKSU Z.L. Lesson Book of Water Pollution, Nobel Bookshop: Adana, pp. 1-232, 2003 [In Turkish].
- 2. DURHASAN D. The effects of depth in getting water from dam lakes on water quality. Master's Thesis, Cukurova University, Adana, pp. 1-57, 2006 [In Turkish],
- 3. HAJDU Z., FULEKY G. Distribution of nitrate pollution in the Niraj (Nyárád) river basin. Carpathian Journal of Earth and Environmental Sciences 2, (2), 57, 2007.
- 4. JALGAONKAR A. Microanalysis of groundwater elements with respect to time and depth in the hortobágy region in Hungary. Carpathian Journal of Earth and Environmental Sciences 3, (1), 39, 2008.
- 5. CAZENAVE J., BACCHETTA C., PARMA M.J., SCARABOTTI P.A., WUNDERLIN D.A. Multiple biomarkers responses in Prochilodus lineatus allowed assessing changes in the water quality of Salado River basin (Santa Fe, Argentina). Environ. Pollut. 157, 3025, 2009.
- 6. AKKOZ C., YILMAZ B., KALIPCI E. Trophic level determination of Aci lake, Meke lake and Sugla lake. World Journal of Fish and Marine Sciences 1, (3), 243, 2009.
- 7. BLINOVA I., IVASK A., HEINLAAN M., MORTIMER M., KAHRU A. Ecotoxicity of nanoparticles of CuO and ZnO in natural water. Environ. Pollut. 158, 41, 2010.
- 8. MARIN C., TUDORACHE A., MOLDOVAN O.T., POVARA I., RAJKA G. Assessing the contents of arsenic and of some heavy metals in surface flows and in the hyporheic zone of the Arieê stream catchment area, Romania. Carpathian Journal of Earth and Environmental Sciences 5, (1), 13, 2010.
- 9. KARADAVUT I.S., SAYDAM A.C., KALIPCI E., KARADAVUT S., OZDEMIR C. A research for water pollution of Melendiz stream in terms of sustainability of ecological balance. Carpathian Journal of Earth and Environmental Sciences 6, (1), 65, 2011.
- 10. MILANOVIC A., MILIJASEVIC D., BRANKOV J. Assessment of polluting effects and surface water quality using water pollution index: a case study of Hydro - system danube - tisa - Danube, Serbia. Carpathian Journal of Earth and Environmental Sciences 6, (2), 269, 2011.
- 11. KALIPCI E. Investigation of decontamination effect of Phragmites australis for Konya domestic wastewater treatment, Journal of Medicinal Plants Research, 5, (29), 6571, 2011.
- 12. GDEPRSDA. (General Directorate of Electrical Power Resources Survey and Development Administration), Observations of water quality of rivers of Turkey. Department of Hydraulic Studies: Ankara, pp. 1-20, 1996- 2005 [In Turkish],
- 13. NICKSON R.T., MCARTHUR J.M., SHRESTHA B., KYAW-MYINT T.O., LOWRY D. Arsenic and other drinking water quality issues, Muzaffargarh District, Pakistan. Applied Geochemistry 20, 55, 2005.
- 14. REIMANN C., BJORVATN K., FRENGSTAD B., MELAKU Z., TEKLE-HAIMANOT R., SIEWERS U. Drinking water quality in the Ethiopian section of the east African rift valley I-data and health aspects. Sci. Total Environ. 311, 65, 2003.
- 15. USLU O., TURKMAN A. Water Pollution and Control, Prime Ministry Environmental General Directorate of Education Series: Ankara, pp. 364, 1987 [In Turkish],
- 16. KASS A., GAVRIELI I., YECHIELI Y., EVNGOSH A., STARINSKY A. The impact of freshwater and wastewater irrigation on the chemistry of shallow groundwater: a case study the Israeli Coastal Aquifer. Journal Hydrol. 300, 314, 2005.
- 17. JALALI M. Nitrates leaching from agricultural land in Hamadan, western Iran. Agr. Ecosyst. Environ. 110, 210, 2005.
- 18. CAN Y. The Effects of Mamasin Dam on the agricultural life of Aksaray low land. Master's Thesis, Istanbul University, Istanbul, 1-88,1996 [In Turkish],
- 19. ANONYMOUS. Aksaray Provincial Environmental Status Report: Aksaray, pp. 25, 2008 [In Turkish],
- 20. KARADAVUT S. Potential and quality of surface water and ground water resources in Aksaray province and their assessment in terms of efficient irrigation. PhD Thesis, Namikkemal University, Tekirdag, 1-88, 2009 [In Turkish].
- 21. ANONYMOUS. Regulation for Water Pollution Control. The Official Gazette of The Turkish Republic. Date: 13 February, Ankara, Number: 26786, 2008 [In Turkish].
- 22. ELHATİP H. Water resources and environmental issues in the province of Aksaray. Aksaray Environmental Protection Foundation: Aksaray, 1-85, 2002 [In Turkish],
- 23. KAVURMACI M., ALTAS L., KURMAC Y., ISIK M., ELHATİP H. Evaluation of the Salt lake effect on the ground waters of Aksaray-Turkey using geographic information system. Ekoloji, 19, (77), 29, 2010 [In Turkish].
- 24. KAVURMACI M., KARADAVUT S., OZCAN S., KURMAC Y., ALTAS L., ISIK M., Hydrogeochemical characteristics and water quality assessment of surface waters in the province of Aksaray. Blacksea International Environmental Symposium, August 25-29, Proceeding Book, 3, 134, 2008 [In Turkish],
- 25. ALAS A., CİL O.H.S. An investigation of water quality parameters at some springs supplying drinking water for Aksaray. Ekoloji, 11, (42), 40, 2002 [In Turkish].
- 26. KARADAVUT S., SAYDAM C., ELHATİP H. Some water quality parameters on the seasonal variation of water quality analysis of Melendiz stream (Aksaray-Turkey). Blacksea International Environmental Symposium, August 25-29, Proceeding Book, 3, 520, 2008 [In Turkish].
- 27. KARADAVUT S., DELİBAS L., KALIPCI E., OZDEMIR C., KARADAVUT I.S. Evaluation of irrigation water quality of Aksaray region by using geographic information system. Carpathian Journal of Earth and Environmental Sciences 7, (2), 171,2012.