Interorganizational cooperation, knowledge sharing, and technological eco-innovation: the role of proactive environmental strategy – empirical evidence from Poland
Treść / Zawartość
Although previous research has suggested that interorganizational cooperation and knowledge sharing may affect technological eco-innovation or proactive environmental strategy, there is little understanding of the interconnectedness of these variables. This paper investigates the links between interorganizational cooperation, knowledge sharing, proactive environmental strategy, and technological eco-innovation. In particular, it examines the infl uence of interorganizational cooperation and knowledge sharing on technological eco-innovation and explores these relationships through proactive environmental strategy. A research model has been developed and tested on a sample of 292 fi rms operating in Poland. In order to test the proposed research model and hypotheses, structural equation modeling using partial least squares has been applied. The fi ndings indicate direct effects of interorganizational cooperation and knowledge sharing on proactive environmental strategy. However, the obtained results do not prove that interorganizational cooperation directly affects technological eco-innovation. Nevertheless, the study has shown the signifi cant mediating role of proactive environmental strategy in relationships between interorganizational cooperation, knowledge sharing, and technological eco-innovation. Since proactive environmental strategy powerfully fuels technological eco-innovation and signifi cantly mediates links between interorganizational cooperation, knowledge sharing, and technological eco-innovation, this research proves that it constitutes a unique organizational capability that may improve transformation of knowledge into better environmental and economic performance.
- 1. ARAGÓN-CORREA J.A., SHARMA S. A contingent resource-based view of proactive corporate environmental strategy. Acad. Manage Rev. 28 (1), 71, 2003.
- 2. GONZÁLEZ-BENITO J., GONZÁLEZ-BENITO Ó. Environmental proactivity and business performance: an empirical analysis. Omega-Int. J. Manage S. 33 (1), 1, 2005.
- 3. KEMP R., PEARSON P. Final report MEI project about measuring eco-innovation. European Environment. 2007.
- 4. ZIEGLER A., NOGAREDA J.S. Environmental management systems and technological environmental innovations: exploring the causal relationship. Res. Policy. 38 (5), 885, 2009.
- 5. DE MARCHI V. Environmental innovation and R&D cooperation: Empirical evidence from Spanish manufacturing firms. Res. Policy, 41 (3), 614, 2012.
- 6. DELMAS M., HOFFMAN V., KUSS M. Under the tip of the iceberg: absorptive capacity, environmental strategy and competitive advantage. Business Society. 50 (1), 116, 2011.
- 7. GHISETTI C., RENNINGS K. Environmental innovations and profitability: how does it pay to be green? An empirical analysis on the German innovation survey. J. Clean. Prod. 75, 106, 2014.
- 8. BARNEY J. Firm Resources and Sustained Competitive Advantage. J. Manage. 17 (1), 99, 1991.
- 9. GRANT R.M. Toward a knowledge-based theory of the firm. Strateg Manage J. 17 (2), 109, 1996.
- 10. HART S.L. Natural-resource-based view of the firm. Acad. Manage Rev. 20 (4), 986, 1995.
- 11. HUANG P.S., SHIH L.H., Effective environmental management through environmental knowledge management. Int. J. Environ. Sci Tech. 6 (1), 35, 2009.
- 12. DE MARCHI V., GRANDINETTI R. Knowledge strategies for environmental innovations: the case of Italian manufacturing firms. J. Know. Manage. 17 (4), 569, 2013.
- 13. GHISETTI C., MARZUCCHI A., MONTRESOR S. The open eco-innovation mode. An empirical investigation of eleven European countries. Res. Policy. 44 (5), 1080, 2015.
- 14. HORBACH J. Determinants of environmental innovation -New evidence from German panel data sources. Res. Policy, 37 (1), 163, 2008.
- 15. LENOX M., KING A. Prospects for developing absorptive capacity through internal information provision. Strategic Manage J. 25 (4), 331, 2004.
- 16. WONG S.K.S. Environmental requirements, knowledge sharing and green innovation: Empirical evidence from the electronics industry in China. Bus. Strat. Env. 22, 321, 2013.
- 17. ARAGON-CORREA J.A., MARTIN-TAPIA I., HURTADO-TORRES N.E. Proactive Environmental Strategies and Employee Inclusion: The Positive Effects of Information Sharing and Promoting Collaboration and the Influence of Uncertainty. Organ. Environ. 26 (2), 139, 2013.
- 18. COHEN W.W.M., LEVINTHAL D.A. Absorptive Capacity: A New Perspective on Learning and Innovation. Admin. Sci Quart. 35 (1), 128, 1990.
- 19. SHARMA S., VREDENBURG H. Proactive corporate environmental strategy and the development of competitively valuable organizational capabilities. Strateg. Manage J. 19 (8), 729, 1998.
- 20. BUYSSE K., VERBEKE A. Proactive environmental strategies: a stakeholder management perspective. Strateg. Manage J. 24 (5), 453, 2003.
- 21. HENRIQUES I., SADORSKY P. The relationship between environmental commitment and managerial perceptions of stakeholder importance. Acad. Manage J. 42 (1), 87, 1999.
- 22. ARAGÓN-CORREA J.A. Strategic proactivity and firm approach to the natural environment. Acad. Manage J. 41 (5), 556, 1998.
- 23. CARBALLO-PENELA A., CASTROMÁN-DIZ J.L. Environmental Policies for Sustainable Development: an Analysis of the Drivers of Proactive Environmental Strategies in the Service Sector. Bus. Strat. Env. 24 (8), 802, 2015.
- 24. OECD. Oslo Manual: The Measurement of Scientific and Technological Activities. Guidelines for collecting and interpreting innovation data. Third edition, OECD, European Commission and Eurostat. Paris. 2005.
- 25. MENGUC B., OZANNE L.K. Challenges of the "green imperative": a natural resource-based approach to the environmental orientation-business performance relationship. J. Bus. Res. 58 (4), 430, 2005.
- 26. FAEMS D., VAN LOOY B., DEBACKERE K. Interorganizational collaboration and innovation: Toward a portfolio approach. J. Prod. Innovat. Manag. 22 (3), 238, 2005.
- 27. MAZZANTI M., ZOBOLI R. The drivers of environmental innovation in local manufacturing systems. Economica Politica. 3, 399, 2005.
- 28. HEMMELSKAMP J. The Influence of Environmental Policy on Innovative Behaviour: An Econometric Study. SSRN Electronic Journal. January, 1999.
- 29. LIN H. Strategic Alliances for Environmental Improvements. Business Society, 51 (2), 335, 2012.
- 30. FRAJ E., MATUTE J., MELERO I. Environmental strategies and organizational competitiveness in the hotel industry: The role of learning and innovation as determinants of environmental success. Tourism Manage. 46, 30, 2015.
- 31. RUEDA-MANZANARES A., ARAGÓN-CORREA J.A., SHARMA S., The influence of stakeholders on the environmental strategy of service firms: The moderating effects of complexity, uncertainty and munificence. Brit. J. Manage. 19 (2), 185, 2008.
- 32. HSU I.C. Knowledge sharing practices as a facilitating factor for improving organizational performance through human capital: A preliminary test. Expert Syst. Appl. 35 (3), 1316, 2008.
- 33. CALANTONE R.J., CAVUSGIL S.T., ZHAO Y. Learning orientation, firm innovation capability, and firm performance. Ind. Market. Manag. 31 (6), 515, 2002.
- 34. LIN H.F. Knowledge sharing and firm innovation capability: an empirical study. Int. J. Manpower, 28 (3/4), 315, 2007.
- 35. KAMASAK R., BULUTLAR F. The influence of knowledge sharing on innovation. European Business Review. 22 (3), 306, 2010.
- 36. WANG Z., WANG N. Knowledge sharing, innovation and firm performance. Expert Syst. Appl. 39 (10), 8899, 2012.
- 37. WOLF J. Improving the Sustainable Development of Firms: The Role of Employees. Bus. Strat. Env. 22 (2), 92, 2013.
- 38. MURILLO-LUNA J.L., GARCÉS-AYERBE C., RIVERA-TORRES P. Why do patterns of environmental response differ? A stakeholders pressure approach. Strategic Manage J. 29 (11), 1225, 2008.
- 39. ANDERSSON L.M., BATEMAN, T.S. Individual environmental initiative: Championing natural environmental issues in U.S. business organizations. Acad. Manage J. 43 (4), 548, 2000.
- 40. RAMUS C.A., STEGER U. The roles of supervisory support behaviors and environmental policy in employee "ecoinitiatives" at leading-edge European companies. Acad. Manage J. 4, (4), 605, 2000.