Attitudes of prospective forest engineers and primary school teachers toward a sustainable environment
This study aims to determine the attitudes of prospective forest engineers and primary school teachers toward sustainable development, and the impact of an “Environmental Training” course on these attitudes. The research was conducted in two faculties of Artvin Coruh University during the spring term of the academic year 2011-12. The study groups consist of first- and second-year students (N=104) enrolled in the Primary Education Department of the Faculty of Education, and first- and second-year students (N=74) studying in the Forest Engineering Department of the Faculty of Forestry. The findings of the study that followed a case study were obtained from interviews and an “Attitude Scale toward Sustainable Environment”. The data were analyzed both quantitatively and qualitatively. After the interviews, it was concluded that the majority of the participants had knowledge about sustainable development in environmental terms only and that they did not know the other dimensions.
- 1. http://ecotopianetwork.wordpress.com
- 2. www.sustainabledevelopmentinfo.com
- 3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/sustainable_develpoment
- 4. YILDIZ S. Conceptual Understanding and Attitudes of Teachers, Prospective Teachers and Students Towards Sustainable Environment. Unpublished Master Thesis, Dokuz Eylül University, Turkey, 2011.
- 5. MATTHIES L.P., CONSTANTINOU C., JUNGE X., KÖHLER K., MAYER J., NAGEL U., RAPER G., SCHÜLE D., BELTRAN K.C. Environmental Education Research 15, (1), 17, 2009.
- 6. ZAINAL Z. Case Study as a Research Method. Jurnal Kemanusiaan bil. 9, 1, 2007.
- 7. http://www.un.org/esa/sustdev/natlinfo/indicators/isdm 2001/table_4.htm
- 8. RICKINSON M. Learners and Learning in Environmental Education: a Critical Review of the Research. Environmental Education Research 7, 207, 2001.
- 9. ASLAN O., ULUCINAR SAGIR S., CANSARAN A. The Adaptation of Environment Attitude Scala and Determination of Primary School Students' Environmental Attitutes. Journal of Selcuk University Ahmet Kelesoglu Faculty of Education. 25, 283, 2008.
- 10. TURER B. The Awarness Levels of Science and Social Science Prospective Teachers Regarding Sustainable Environment. Unpublished Master Thesis, Ondokuz Mayıs University, Turkey, 2010.
- 11. MEYDAN A., DOGU S. Evaluation of The Views of The Second Grade Primary School Students on Environmental Problems According to Some. Journal of Selcuk University Ahmet Kelesoglu Faculty of Education. 26, 267, 2008.
- 12. TUNCER M. Evaluation of Learning Environment Variables in Turkey From the Aspect of a Learner’s Health and Education. Energy Educ Sci Technol Part B 4, 1703, 2012.
- 13. CETIN M. EU Education Project of Effects on Auto Mechanics in Terms of Health, Safety and Environmental Sensitivity. Energy Educ Sci Technol Part B 4, 87, 2012.
- 14. ACAR SESEN B. The Effects of Three Different Learning Approaches on Pre-service Teacers’ Environmental Knowledge. Energy Educ Sci Technol Part B 4, 1385, 2012.