Effect of different CO2 cocncentrations on the stunning effect of pigs and selected quality traits of their meat - a short report
Treść / Zawartość
The aim of the study was to analyse the effect of CO2 concentration in pharmacological stunning method of pigs on selected quality traits of meat. Investigations were carried out on 200 fatteners of mass population. Half the animals (n=100) were stunned with 92% and the other 100 fatteners were stunned with 88% CO2. The stunning effectiveness was evaluated by observing animals’ response to CO2 concentration. In the group of the fatteners stunned with 92% CO2, all animals were stunned correctly, whereas in the group of the fatteners stunned with a lower concentration of CO2 (88%), the percentage of ineffectively stunned animals reached 17%. A statistically significant (p<0.01) influence of carbon dioxide concentration in the pharmacological stunning method was noticed on pH24, lightness of meat – L* (p<0.05) and b* value. A higher frequency of carcasses with PSE and DFD was observed among the fatteners stunned with 92% CO2 (respectively 16% and 7% vs. 9% and 1% reported for animals stunned with 88% CO2).
- 1. Bórnez R., Linares M.B., Vergara H., Systems stunning with CO2 gas on Manchego light lambs: Physiologic responses and stunning effectiveness. Meat Sci., 2009, 82, 133–138.
- 2. Candek–Potokar M., Zlender B., Lefaucher L., Bonneau M., Effects of age and/or weight at slaughter on Longissimus dorsi muscle, biochemical traits and sensory quality in pigs. Meat Sci., 1998, 48, 287–300.
- 3. Christensen L., CO2 – stunning of cattle brings advantages. Fleischwirtschaft, 2008, 88, 31–32.
- 4. EU Council Directive 93/119/EC., On the protection of animals as the time of slaughter or killing. Official J. the European Communities, 1993, 340, 21–34.
- 5. Gregory N.G., Recent concerns about stunning and slaughter – A review. Meat Sci., 2005, 70, 481–491.
- 6. Gregory N.G., Animal welfare at markets and during transport and slaughter. Meat Sci., 2008, 80, 2–11.
- 7. Huff-Lonergan E., Baas T.J., Malek M., Dekkers J.C.M., Prusa K., Rothschild M.F., Correlations among selected pork quality traits. J. Anim. Sci., 2002, 80, 617–627.
- 8. Koćwin-Podsiadła M., Summary of the main effects of RN- and HALn genes on the pork quality. Prace Mat. Zoot., 1998, 52, 43–50 (in Polish).
- 9. Koćwin–Podsiadła M., Przybylski W., Kaczorek S., Krzęcio E., Quality and technological yield of PSE (pale, soft, exudative), -acid, -and normal pork. Pol. J. Food Nutr. Sci., 1998, 7/48, 2, 217–222.
- 10. Koćwin-Podsiadła M., Zybert A., Krzęcio E., Antosik K., Sieczkowska H., Kurył J., Łyczyński A., The influence of hot carcass weight on lean meat content and technological usefulness in crossbreds of Danish Landrace with Duroc. Ann. Anim. Sci., 2002, Suppl. No 2, 319–323.
- 11. Leach L.M., Allis M., Sutton D.S., McKeith F.K., Wilson E.R., The growth performance, carcass characteristics and meat quality of halothane carrier and negative pigs. J. Anim. Sci., 1996, 74, 934–943.
- 12. Meller Z., Effect of body weight and fat fatteners on meat quality of pigs. Acta Acad. Agricult. Techn. Olst. Zootechnica, 1992, 35, 79–89 (in Polish).
- 13. Nowak B., Mueffling T.V., Hartung J., Effect of different carbon dioxide concentrations and exposure times in stunning of slaughter pigs: Impact on animal welfare and meat quality. Meat Sci., 2007, 75, 290–298.
- 14. Sieczkowska H., Krzęcio E., Zybert A., Koćwin–Podsiadła M., Influence of hot carcass weight and lean meat content of fatteners on selected meat and carcass quality traits. Pol. J. Food Nutr. Sci., 2001, 10/53, 3(S), 229–232.
- 15. Sonesson A.K., De Greef K.H., Meuwissen T.H.E., Genetic parameters and trends of meat quality, carcass composition and performance traits in two selected lines of large white pigs. Liv. Prod. Sci., 1998, 57, 23–32.
- 16. Sutton D.S., Ellis M., Lan Y., Mc Keith F.K., Wilson E.R., Influence of slaughter weight and stress gene on the water holding capacity and protein characteristics of the porcine muscles. Meat Sci., 1997, 46, 173–180.
- 17. Velarde A., Cruz J., Gispert M., Carrión D., Ruiz de la Torre J.L., Diestre A., Manteca X., Aversion to carbon dioxide concentration and halotane genotype. Anim. Welfare, 2007, 16, 513–522.
- 18. Wojtaszek A., Slaughter of animals. Training materials for veterinarians. 2006, www.siw.wwm.pl (in Polish).
Rekord w opracowaniu