Activity of selected antioxidative enzymes in rats exposed to dimethoate and pyrantel tartrate
Treść / Zawartość
This study presents the results of research concerning the effect of single and combined application of pyrantel tartrate and dimethoate on selected antioxidative enzymes: catalase (CAT), superoxide dismutase (SOD) and glutathione peroxidase (GPx), in rat erythrocytes. Pyrantel tartrate was applied twice, at a dose of 85 mg/kg bw at a two week interval, i.e. on day 14 and 28 of the experiment, orally, in a water solution with a stomach tube. Dimethoate was administered with drinking water for 28 days at a dose of 25 mg/kg bw/day. It was found that pyrantel tartrate caused only small changes in the activity of the antioxidative enzymes under analysis. Subchronic exposure of rats to dimethoate caused a significant increase in the activity of CAT, SOD and GPx in erythrocytes, indicating the existence of strong oxidative stress. In combined intoxication, no significant effects of administering pyrantel tartrate on the activity of CAT, SOD and GPx was found in animals poisoned with dimethoate. The profile of changes was similar to that observed in rats exposed only to the organophosphorus insecticide. This may indicate a lack of interaction between the compounds used in the experiment.
- Abdollahi M, Mostafalou S, Pournourmohammadi S, Shadnia S (2004) Oxidative stress and cholinesterase inhibition in saliva and plasma of rats following subchronic exposure to malathion. Comp Biochem Physiol C 137: 29-34.
- Aebi H (1984) Catalase in vitro. Methods Enzymol 105: 121-126.
- Akhgari M, Abdollahi M, Kebryaeezadeh A, Hosseini R, Sabzevari O (2003) Biochemical evidence for free radical-induced lipid peroxidation as a mechanism for subchronic toxicity of malathion in blood and liver of rats. Hum Exp Toxicol 22: 205-211.
- Bajgar J (2004) Organophosphates/nerve agent poisoning: mechanism of action, diagnosis, prophylaxis, and treatment. Adv Clin Chem 38: 151-216.
- Barski D, Zasadowski A (2006) Residues of dimethoate in the liver and AChE activity in blood of rats after exposure to dimethoate, and dimethoate and pyrantel embonate. Pol J Vet Sci 9: 43-49.
- Barski D, Zasadowski A (2008) Activity of superoxide dismutase and catalase in erythrocytes and malondialdehyde concentration in the liver of rats exposed to Bi 58 Nowy and pyrantel. Bull Vet Inst Pulawy 52: 299-303.
- Barski D, Zasadowski A, Wiaderkiewicz R, Kamiński M (2007) Effect of oral administration of dimethoate and pyrantel on selected parameters of pro- and antioxidative processes in rats. Bull Vet Inst Pulawy 51: 673-677.
- Bhanti M, Taneja A (2007) Contamination of vegetables of different seasons with organophosphorous pesticides and related health risk assessment in northern India. Chemosphere 69: 63-68.
- Bisdorff B, Wall R (2008) Control and management of sheep mange and pediculosis in Great Britain. Vet Parasitol 155: 120-126.
- Buratti FM, Testai E (2007) Evidences for CYP3A4 autoactivation in the desulfuration of dimethoate by the human liver. Toxicology 241: 33-46.
- Burk RF (1990) Protection against free radical injury by selenoenzymes. Pharmacol Ther 45: 383-385.
- Chartier C, Pors I, Benoit C (1995) Efficacy of pyrantel tartrate against experimental infections with Haemonchus contortus, Teladorsagia circumcincta and Trichostrongylus colubriformis in goats. Vet Parasitol 59: 69-73.
- Dewa Y, Nishimura J, Muguruma M, Jin M, Kawai M, Saegusa Y, Okamura T, Umemura T, Mitsumori K (2009) Involvement of oxidative stress in hepatocellular tumor-promoting activity of oxfendazole in rats. Arch Toxicol 83: 503-511.
- Durak D, Uzun FG, Kalender S, Ogutcu A, Uzunhisarcikli M, Kalender Y (2008) Malathion-induced oxidative stress in human erythrocytes and the protective effect of vitamins C and E in vitro. Environ Toxicol 24: 235-242.
- Faulkner JK, Figdor SK, Monro AM, Schach von Wittenau M, Stopher DA, Wood BA (1972) The comparative metabolism of pyrantel in five species. J Sci Food Agric 23: 79-91.
- Girotti AW (1998) Lipid hydroperoxide generation, turnover, and effector action in biological systems. J Lipid Res 39: 1529-1542.
- Hazarika A, Sarkar SN, Hajare S, Kataria M, Malik JK (2003) Influence of malathion pretreatment on the toxicity of anilofos in male rats: a biochemical interaction study. Toxicology 185: 1-8.
- Hoffmann U, Papendorf T (2006) Organophosphate poisonings with parathion and dimethoate. Intensive Care Med 32: 464-468.
- Ince S, Kozan E, Kucukkurt I, Bacak E (2010) The effect of levamisole and levamisole+vitamin C on oxidative damage in rats naturally infected with Syphacia muris. Exp Parasitol 124: 448-452.
- Jintana S, Sming K, Krongtong Y, Thanyachai S (2009) Cholinesterase activity, pesticide exposure and health impact in a population exposed to organophosphates. Int Arch Occup Environ Health 82: 833-842.
- John S, Kale M, Rathore N, Bhatnagar D (2001) Protective effect of vitamin E in dimethoate and malathion induced oxidative stress in rat erythrocytes. J Nutr Biochem 12: 500-504.
- Kamath V, Rajini PS (2007) Altered glucose homeostasis and oxidative impairment in pancreas of rats subjected to dimethoate intoxication. Toxicology 231: 137-146.
- Karademir Catalgol B, Ozden S, Alpertunga B (2007) Effects of trichlorfon on malondialdehyde and antioxidant system in human erythrocytes. Toxicol In Vitro 21: 1538-1544.
- Karatas F, Servi S, Kara H, Kiran TR, Saydam S (2008) Investigation of oxidative status of the 2-furan-2-yl-1H-benzimidazole in rats. Biol Trace Elem Res 126: 214-221.
- Kohler P (2001) The biochemical basis of anthelmintic action and resistance. Int J Parasitol 31: 336-345.
- Kulikowska-Karpińska E, Moniuszko-Jakoniuk J (2004) The antioxidative barrier in the organism. Pol J Environ Stud 13: 5-13.
- Lledias F, Rangel P, Hansberg W (1998) Oxidation of catalase by singlet oxygen. J Biol Chem 273: 10630-10637.
- Lukaszewicz-Hussain A (2008) Subchronic intoxication with chlorfenvinphos, an organophosphate insecticide, affects rat brain antioxidative enzymes and glutathione level. Food Chem Toxicol 46: 82-86.
- Łukaszewicz-Hussain A, Moniuszko-Jakoniuk J (2005) A low dose of chlorfenvinphos affects hepatic enzymes in serum and antioxidant enzymes in erythrocytes and liver of rats. Pol J Environ Stud 14: 199-202.
- Malmezat T, Breuille´ D, Capitan P, Mirand PP, Obled C (2000) Glutathione turnover is increased during the acute phase of sepsis in rats. J Nutr 130: 1239-1246.
- Mansour SA, Mossa AH (2009) Lipid peroxidation and oxidative stress in rat erythrocytes induced by chlorpyrifos and the protective effect of zinc. Pestic Biochem Physiol 93: 34-39.
- Mates JM, Perez-Gomez C, Nunez De Castro I (1999) Antioxidant enzymes and human diseases. Clin Biochem 32: 595-603.
- Mueller S, Riedel HD, Stremmel W (1997) Direct evidence for catalase as the predominant H2O2 – removing enzyme in human erythrocytes. Blood 90: 4973-4978.
- Pinlaor S, Prakobwong S, Hiraku Y, Kaewsamut B, Dechakhamphu S, Boonmars T, Sithithaworn P, Pinlaor P, Ma N, Yongvanit P, Kawanishi S (2008) Oxidative and nitrative stress in Opisthorchis viverrini – infected hamsters: an indirect effect after praziquantel treatment. Am J Trop Med Hyg 78: 564-573.
- Possamai FP, Fortunato JJ, Feier G, Agostinho FR, Quevedo J, Wilhelm Filho D, Dal-Pizzol F (2007) Oxidative stress after acute and sub-chronic malathion intoxication in Wistar rats. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol 23: 198-204.
- Ranjbar A, Solhi H, Mashayekhi FJ, Susanabdi A, Rezaie A, Abdollahi M (2005) Oxidative stress in acute human poisoning with organophosphorus insecticides; a case control study. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol 20: 88-91.
- Sharma Y, Bashir S, Irshad M, Nag TC, Dogra TD (2005) Dimethoate-induced effects on antioxidant status of liver and brain of rats following subchronic exposure. Toxicology 215: 173-181.
- Sivapiriya V, Jayanthisakthisekeran, Venkatraman S (2006) Effects of dimethoate (0,0-dimethyl S-methyl carbamoyl methyl phosphorodithioate) and ethanol in antioxidant status of liver and kidney of experimental mice. Pest Biochem Physiol 85: 115-121.
- Slocombe JO, Lake MC (2007) Efficacy of daily pyrantel tartrate (Strongid C) against Strongyles in ponies on pasture. J Equine Vet Sci 27: 439-445.
- Spodniewska A, Zasadowski A (2008) Content of glutathione and witamin C in the liver of rats exposed to dimethoate and pyrantel tartrate. Acta Vet Brno 77: 355-362.
- Ścibior D, Czeczot H (2006) Catalase: structure, properties, functions. Postepy Hig Med Dosw 60: 170-180. (in Polish).
- Uygun U, Koksel H, Atli A (2005) Residue levels of malathion and its metabolites and fenitrothion in post-harvest treated wheat during storage, milling and baking. Food Chem 92: 643-647.
- Valdez RA, DiPietro JA, Paul AJ, Lock TF, Hungerford LL, Todd KS (1995) Controlled efficacy study of the bioequivalence of Strongid C and generic pyrantel tartrate in horses. Vet Parsitol 60: 83-102.
- Vale JA (1998) Toxicokinetic and toxicodynamic aspects of organophosphorus (OP) insecticide poisoning. Toxicol Lett 102-103: 649-652.
- Yim MB, Chock PB, Stadtman ER. (1993) Enzyme function of copper, zinc superoxide dismutase as a free radical generator. J Biol Chem 268: 4099-4105
Rekord w opracowaniu