Determination of the potential fig (Ficus carica L.) and chestnut (Castanea sativa) production fields with the use of geographic information system in the Kosk district of Aydin province
Treść / Zawartość
In order to enhance the contribution of fig to the national economy and to raise farmers’ income level, it is necessary to encourage further cultivation of fig and direct farmers to fig production instead of alternative products. Most of the areas suitable for chestnut production are forestlands. There are orchards arranged with oak and chestnut trees with oak being predominant. Chestnut population in these areas should be increased. Cultivation area of this product that has many fields of use needs to be extended. Directing farmers to products that are storable in medium term with a broad market and high income is important both for the national economy and the farmers. The purpose of the present study is to remind producers the significance of two important products: fig and chestnut in the Kosk district of the Aydin province, Turkey, and to determine the areas suitable for growing these products within the study area. For this purpose the questioning and analysis features of GIS was employed. In this study, rainfall, temperature, soil texture, slope, elevation, wind direction, were taken into account to identify appropriate fields. As a result, approximately area of 13886 hectare of fig production and 3430.7 hectare of chestnut production were found as suitable area.
- Akca, H., Esengun., K. Use of Geographic Information Systems in Agricultural Economics Facilities, Agriculture Credit Cooperative (ACC) Ekin Journal,2003, 25p, Tokat.
- Anonymous. South Aegean Development Agency (GEKA), Chestnut Investment Report, 2009, Paper No, 006.
- Anonymous. T.R. General Directorate of the Ministry of Industry and Trade of Organization, 2010, Fig report of 2010.
- Anonymous. Erbeyli Fig Research Station, Dried Figs Breeding Book, 2012, Paper No:2, May 2012, Izmir.
- Basayigit, L., Senol, H., Mujdeci, M. Evaluation of Potential Fertility of Land for Fruit Orchards in Isparta Using Geographical Information Systems, Suleyman Demirel University Journal of Faculty of Agriculture 3/2:2008, 1-10.
- Basciftci. F., Durduran. S.S., Inal. C. Mapping Ground Water Level With Geographic Information System (GIS) in Konya Closed Basin, Electronic Journal of Map Technologies, 5/2: 2013, 1-15.
- Cosar, G.O., Engindeniz, S. Using possibilities of Geographic information system in valuation of agricultural lands, Ege University Journal of Faculty of Agriculture, 48/3: 2011, 283-290.
- Doygun, N., Erdem, U. Determining Interactions Between Land Use Potential and Land Use Structure In Bornova District, Inonu University Journal of Art and Design,2/5:2012, 141-150.
- Erdogan, O., Cabuk, A., Memluk. Y., Percin. H. Evaluation Of Recreation Areas According to Ecological Land Use Decisions the example of the city of KutahyaUsing AHP Method, Electronic Journal of Map Technologies, 5/1:2013, 26-36.
- Sonmez, N.K., Sarı, M. Geographic Information Systems Basic Principles and Practice Areas, BATEM, 21/1:2004, 54-68.
- Ozcagıran, R., Unal, A., Ozeker, E., Isfendiyaroglu, M. Temperate Zone Fruit Species- Nut Fruits, Ege University published, 2007, Paper No:566 Bornova-Izmir.