Multivariate analyses of selected mechanical properties of dry bean grain
Treść / Zawartość
The direct shear test are widely used to measure the bulk material properties for economical design of bulk handling equipment and to estimate wall pressure inside storage structures, namely their bulk density, the angle of internal friction,shear strength, Poisson ratio, and lateral pressure ratios are required. Tests were conducted at thirty six different shear speeds (between 0.30-1.00 mm min-1) and three different normal stresses were applied (60, 120 and 180 kPa). The angle of internal friction, Poisson ratio, and lateral pressure ratios demonstrated fluctuations depending on the shear speeds. The results of the principal component analysis indicated that the first three principal components accounted for 97.40% of the total variability among the thirty six different shear speeds for all the traits investigated. The first principal component was the most important. In the result of principal component analysis, the shear speeds were divided into seven clusters. The pressures were decreased and increased with the change of the angle of internal friction and the lateral pressure ratio. The data obtained from the study will be useful in the structural design of dry bean bins to calculate loads on bins from the stored material and grain handling equipment.
- AOAC, 1984. Official method of analysis 14th Ed., Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Washington, DC, USA.
- ASTM, 2000a. D3080-90: Standard test method for direct shear test of soils under consolidated drained conditions. In: Annual Book of ASTM Standards. West Conshohocken, PA: American Society for Testing and Materials.
- ASTM, 2000b. D6128-97: Standard test method for shear testing of bulk solids using the Jenike shear cell. In: Annual Book of ASTM Standards. West Conshohocken, PA: American Society for Testing and Materials.
- AS3774, 1996. Loads on bulk solids containers. Standards Australia, Sydney, Australia.
- DIN1055-6, 1987. Design loads for buildings: loads in silo bins, Deutsches Institut fur Normung, Berlin, Germany.
- Eurocode 1, 2006. EN 1991-4, Eurocode 1: Basis of Design and Actions on Structures, Part 4 – Silos and Tanks. European Committee for Standardisation, Brussels.
- Eurocode 3, 2004. Design of Steel Structures (EN 1993-1-3), Part 1-3: General Rules-Supplementary Rules for Cold Formed Thin Gauge Members and Sheeting. European Committee for Standardisation, Brussels, Belgium.
- FAOSTAT, 2012. World crop production statistics. Food and Agricultural Organization of United Nations Statistical Database Online Services.
- Ganesan V., Rosentrater K.A., and Muthukumarappan K., 2005. Flowability and handling characteristics of bulk solids and powders – A review. ASAE Annual Int. Meeting, ASAE Tampa Convention Center, July 17-20, Tampa, Florida.
- Härtl J. and Ooi J.Y., 2008. Experiments and simulations of direct shear tests: porosity, contact friction and bulk friction. Granular Matter, 10, 263-271.
- Horabik J. and Rusinek R., 2002. Pressure ratio of cereal grains determined in uniaxial compression test. Int. Agrophysics, 16, 23-28.
- Jaky J., 1948. Pressures in silos. Proc. 2nd Int. Conf. Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, 1, 103-107.
- Lohnes R.A., 1993. Lateral stress ratios for particulate materials. Powder Handling and Processing, 5, 331-335.
- Mahapatra A.K. and Lan Y., 2007. Postharvest handling of grains and pulses. In: Handbook of Food Preservation (Ed. M.S. Rahman). CRC Press, New York, USA.
- Mofiz S.A., Rhaman M.M., and Alim M.A., 2004. Stress-strain behaviour and model prediction of reinforced residual soil. 15th Southeast Asian Geotechnical Soc. Conf., November 22-26, Bagkok, Thailand.
- Molenda M., Montross M.D., Horabik J., and Ross I.J., 2001. Mechanical properties of granular feed ingredients. ASAE Annual Int. Meeting, Sacramento Convention Center, July 30 – August 1, Sacramento, CA, USA.
- Moya M., Ayuga F., Guaita M., and Aguado P., 2002a. Mecha-nical properties of granular agricultural materials consi-dered in silos design. 15th ASCE Eng. Mechanics Conf., Columbia University, June 2-5, New York, USA.
- Moya M., Ayuga F., Guaita M., and Aguado P., 2002b. Mecha-nical properties of granular agricultural materials. Trans. ASAE, 45, 1569-1577.
- Moya M., Guaita M., Aguado P., and Ayuga F., 2006. Mechani-cal properties of granular agricultural materials. Part 2. Trans. ASAE, 49, 479-489.
- Nakao T. and Fityus S., 2008. Direct shear testing of a marginal material using a large shear box. Geotechnical Testing J., 31, 393-403.
- Qu Q., Negi S.C., and Jofriet J.C., 2001. Storage of cohesive material in silos. Part 2: Parametric study. Powder Handling Proc., 13, 27-30.
- Ramirez A., Moya M., and Ayuga F., 2004. Determination of mechanical properties of agricultural powder materials and sugar to be used in silos design. ASAE/CSAE Annual Int. Meeting, Fairmont Chateau Laurier, The Westin, Govern-ment Centre Ottawa, August 1-4, Ontario, Canada.
- Tomas J., 2014. Silo and bunker pressure calculations. Faculty of Process and Systems Engineering, Mechanical Process Engineering, Magdeburg, Germany.
- USDA, 2012. Dry Beans. United Stated Department of Agricul-ture, Economic Research Service, Washington, DC, USA.
- Zou Y. and Brusewitz G.H., 2001. Angle of internal friction and cohesion of consolidated ground marigold petals. Trans. ASAE, 44, 1255-1259.