The diversification of air temperature trends in Poland (1981-2010)
Treść / Zawartość
The aim of this study is to answer questions such as: What is the pace of warming? How diversified is it in particular months? How is it spatially diversified in Poland in the 1981-2010 30-year period constituting the new, normal climate? The study was based on materials concerning monthly mean air temperature values from the above-mentioned period from 53 weather stations belonging to the network of the Institute of Meteorology and Water Management spread evenly across Poland. It was stated that warming in Poland in the 1981-2010 period, amounting to 0.33ºC/decade, resulted mainly from a spring and summer temperature increase of α = 0.05. Temperature increases occurred at the greatest pace in July (0.81) and April (0.73). The pace is slightly slower in June (0.57ºC), and August (0.48oC/decade). A high trend for February (0.85ºC/decade) is not statistically significant. Trend values in October and December of 0.2ºC/decade are negative but statistically insignificant. The regional differentiation of statistically significant temperature trends in Poland is as follows: in April the greatest increase in temperature is visible in mid-western Poland, with the lowest values in: Zielona Góra 0.96, Gorzów Wielkopolski 0.88, Bielsko Biała 0.85, and Poznań 0.84ºC/decade. In June, there is a decrease of trends, from the highest values in southwestern Poland to the lowest in northeastern Poland: Zielona Góra 0.79, Poznań 0.74, Kalisz 0.61, Płock 0.57, and Ostrołęka 0.36ºC/decade. In July there is a decrease of trend values from east to west: Suwałki 1.08, Warsaw 0.97, Poznań 0.89, Legnica 0.71, Zielona Góra 0.69, and Szczecin 0.57ºC/decade. In July and August a decrease in trend values can be observed from east to west: Zamość 0.71, Warsaw 0.49, and Szczecin 0.27ºC/decade.
- 1. TRENBERTH K.E., JONES P.D., AMBENJE P., BOJARIU R., EASTERLING D., KLEIN TANK A., PARKER D., RAHIMZADEH F., RENWICK J.A., RUSTICUCCI M., SODEN B., ZHAI P. Observations: Surface and Atmospheric Climate Change. In: Climate change 2007: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. SOLOMON S., QIN D., MANNING M., CHEN Z., MARQUIS M., AVERYT K.B., TIGNOR M., MILLER H.L. (eds.) Cambridge University Press. Cambridge, UK, New York, NY, USA, 2007.
- 2. JONES P.D., LISTER D.H., OSBORN T.J., HARPHAM C., SALMON M., MORICE C.P. Hemispheric and Large-Scale Land-Surface Air Temperature Variations: An Extensive Revision and an Update to 2010. J. Geophys. Res. Atmos. 117, 2012, D05127.
- 3. ROHDE, R., MULLER R.A., JACOBSEN R., MULLER E., PERLMUTTER S., ROSENFELD A., WURTELE J., GROOM D., WICKHAM C. A New Estimate of the Average Earth Surface Land Temperature Spanning 1753 to 2011. Geoinfor. Geostat.: An Overview 1, 2013, doi:10.4172/ gigs.1000101.
- 4. HANSEN J., RUEDY R., SATO M., LO K. Global Surface Temperature Change. Rev. Geophys. 48 (4), 1, 2010, RG4004.
- 5. LAWRIMORE J.H., MENNE M.J., GLEASON B.E., WILLIAMS C.N., WUERTZ D.B., VOSE R.S., RENNIE J. An Overview of the Global Historical Climatology Network Monthly Mean Temperature Data Set, version 3. J. Geophys. Res. Atmos. 116, 2011, D19121.
- 6. JARRAUD M. WMO Report: The Global Climate 2001- 2010: A Decade of Climate Extremes, July 6, 2013.
- 7. ŻMUDZKA E. Contemporary Changes of Climate of Poland. Acta Agrophysica 13 (2), 555-568, 2009 [In Polish].
- 8. MICHALSKA B. Tendencies of Air Temperature changes in Poland. Studies in Geography 47, 67-75, 2011 [In Polish].
- 9. WÓJCIK R., MIĘTUS M. Some Features of Long-Term Variability in Air Temperature in Poland (1951-2010). Polish Geographical Review 86, 3, 339-364, 2014 [In Polish].
- 10. KRUŻEL J. Ecological and Economic Consequences of Contemporary Changes of Thermal Features of the Climate of Poland (1971-2010). Master’s thesis performed in Chair of Ecology, Climatology and Air Protection. Supervisor dr hab. inż. Agnieszka Ziernicka-Wojtaszek, 2014 [In Polish].
- 11. KOŻUCHOWSKI K., ŻMUDZKA E. Climate warming in Poland: the range and seasonality of the changes in air temperature in the second half of the 20th century. Polish Geographical Review 46, 1-2, 81-90, 2001 [In Polish].
- 12. ŻMUDZKA E. Climatic background of the agricultural production in Poland in the second half of 20th century. Acta Agrophysica 3 (2), 399, 2004 [In Polish].
- 13. LORENC H. Pluvio-thermal assessment of the climatic seasons of the year in Poland and their time and space tendencies. Research project 9, IMGW, synthetic report,2000 [In Polish].
- 14. BORYCZKA J. Climate of the Earth: Past, Present, Future. Studies in Geography 29, UW, Warszawa, 55-72, 2001 [In Polish].
- 15. TREPIŃSKA J. The Air Temperature Fluctuations in Europe Since the Little Ice Age to the end 20th Century. Studies in Geography 29, UW Warszawa, 73-76, 2001 [In Polish].
- 16. KOŻUCHOWSKI K. The Scale and Tendencies of the Contemporary Changes in Air Temperature in Poland. Łódź UŁ, 25-46, 2004 [In Polish].
- 17. MICHALSKA B. Variability of Air Temperature in North Western Poland (In.) Szwejkowski Z. (eds.) Environmental Aspects of Climate Change. UW-M, Olsztyn, 89-107, 2009 [In Polish].
- 18. ŻMUDZKA E. Changes in Thermal Conditions in the High Mountain Areas and Contemporary Warming in the Central Europe. Miscellanea Geographica 14, 59-70, 2010 [In Polish].
- 19. PIOTROWICZ K. The Differentiation of Thermal Seasons in Cracow. Geographical Studies UJ, 105, 111-124, 2000 [In Polish].
- 20. ŻARSKI J., KUŚNIEREK-TOMASZEWSKA R., DUDEK S. Trends of Variation in Thermal Agricultural Seasons in the Region of Bydgoszcz. Infrastructure and Ecology of Rural Areas 3/I, 7-17, 2012 [In Polish].
- 21. NIERÓBCA A., KOZYRA J., MIZAK K., WRÓBLEWSKA E. Changes in the Length of Growing Season in Poland. Water-Environment-Rural-Areas 13, 2, (42), 81, 2013 [In Polish].
- 22. ŻMUDZKA E., DOBROWOLSKA M. Variability of Thermal Vegetative Period in Poland in the Second Half of 20th Century. Studies in Geography 29, 127-135, 2001 [In Polish].
- 23. ŻMUDZKA E. Long-term Changes of Thermal Resources in the Vegetative Period and the Active Growth of Plants in Polsce. Water-Environment-Rural-Areas 12, 2 (38), 377- 388, 2012 [In Polish].
- 24. OKONIEWSKA M. Changes of Air Temperature in Poland in XX Century on the Background of Air Circulation. Journal of Health Sciences 3 (15), 130-151, 2013 [In Polish].
- 25. SADOWSKI M. (eds.) Preparation and implementation of the Strategic Adaptation Plan for sectors and areas sensitive to climate changes until 2070 IOŚ-PIB Warszawa,, 2013 [In Polish].