The hydrological model and formula for determining the hypothetical flood wave volume in non-gauged basins
Determination of theoretical flood waves, commonly known as hypothetical waves, is still a difficult problem to be solved. Most frequently hydrological modelling is used for this purpose. However, there are no methods for verifying the obtained calculation results. The assumption applied, that daily precipitation with a defined height difference probability triggers off a theoretical wave with the same probability of excess, was verified in four upland basins whose river mouths are located within Kraków metropolitan area. It was proved that in order to meet the assumption made, it is necessary for the precipitation duration, with defined height difference probability, to last 48 hours, because for daily precipitation the volume of calculated theoretical flood wave is too small. During the calculations, the hydrological model was used, as was the formula for flood wave volume determination for the area of Upper Vistula River, as developed by the main author of the publication. The relative error of the reduced volumes in relation to the volumes calculated with the Kraków method for theoretical flood waves, was lower than 30% in any case. Therefore, it can be acknowledged that the suggested method may be used for determining theoretical flood waves in any cross-section for the non-gauged catchment with a surface not exceeding 400 km².
- Banasik K., Byczkowski A., Hejduk L., Gładecki J., 2012, Estimation of probable flood flows in small catchments with the use of direct (statistical) and indirect methods (in Polish), Woda-Środowisko-Obszary Wiejskie, 12 (3), 17-26
- Büchele B., Kreibich H., Kron A., Thieken A., IhriInger J., Oberle P., Merz B., Nestmann F., 2006, Flood-risk mapping: contributions towards an enhanced assessment of extreme events and associated risks, Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences, 6, 485-503, DOI: 10.5194/nhess-6-485-2006
- Ciepielowski A., Dąbkowski S., 2006, Methods for calculating maximum discharges in small catchments (in Polish), Projprzem-EKO, Bydgoszcz, Poland, 311 pp.
- Ernst J., Dewals B.J, Detrembleur S., Archambeau P., 2010, Micro-scale flood risk analysis based on detailed 2D hydraulic modelling and high resolution geographic data Natural hazards, Natural Hazards, 55 (2). 181-209, DOI: 10.1007/s11069-010-9520-y
- Gądek W., 2010, Hypothetical flood hydrographs with peak value of given exceedance probability (in Polish) [in:] Hydrologia w inżynierii i gospodarce wodnej, vol. 1, Monografie KGW-PAN 68, B. Więzik (eds.), KGW-PAN, Stowarzyszenie Hydrologów Polskich, Warszawa, 177-186
- Gądek W., 2012a, Determination of design hydrographs in gauged catchments using the Warsaw University of Technology method and Cracow University of Technology method – Part I –description of the methods (in Polish), Czasopismo Techniczne, 2-Ś (23), 95-104
- Gądek W. 2012b, Determination of design hydrographs in gauged catchments using the Warsaw University of Technology method and Cracow University of Technology method – Part II –evaluation of the methods (in Polish), Czasopismo Techniczne, 2-Ś (23), 105-126
- Gądek W., 2014a, Assessment of limnigraph data usefulness for determining the hypothetical flood waves with the Cracow method, Journal of Water and Land Development, 21 (1), 71-78, DOI: 10.2478/jwld-2014-0016
- Gądek W. 2014b, Theoretical flood waves for non-gauged catchments (in Polish), [in:] Hydrologia w inżynierii i gospodarce wodnej, vol. 1., Monografie KGW-PAN XX, K. Banasik, L. Hajduk, E. Kaznowska, KGW-PAN, Stowarzyszenie Hydrologów Polskich, 139-150
- Gądek W., Banach W., Fiołka I., 2012, Application of a Geomorphological model for the determination of design floods (in Polish), Czasopismo Techniczne, 1-Ś (4), 59-67
- Gądek W., Środula A., 2014, Evaluation of design flood parameters determined with the Reitz and Kreps method in gauged basins (in Polish), Woda-Środowisko-Obszary Wiejskie, 14 (3), 29-47 HEC-HMS, 2009, Hydrologic Modelling System HEC-HMS. User’s Manual, US Army Corps of Engineers, Hydrologic Engineering Center, 442 pp., last version available at http://www.hec.usace.army.mil/software/hec-hms/documentation/
- HEC-HMS_Users_Manual_4.0.pdf (data access 30.04.2015)
- Ignar S., 1988, SCS method and its application for determining the effective precipitation (in Polish), Przegląd Geofizyczny, 33 (4), 451-455
- Jonkman S.N., Vrijling J.K., Vrouwenvelder A.C.W.M., 2008, Methods for the estimation of loss of life due to floods: a literature review and a proposal for a new method, Natural Hazards, 46 (3), 353-389, DOI: 10.1007/s11069-008-9227-5
- Kiciński T., 1965, Construction of a probable flood hydrograph (in Polish), Zeszyty Naukowe SGGW. Melioracje Rolne, 6, 49-71
- Linsley Jr. R.K., Kohler M.A., Paulhus J.L.H., 1975, Hydrology for engineers, McGraw-Hill, Incorporated, New York, 482 pp.
- McEnroe B.M. 1992, Sizing stormwater detention reservoirs to reduce peak flows, [in:] Hydraulic engineering: saving a threatened resource – in search of solutions, Conference Proceeding Paper, Reston, VA, 719-724
- NOHRSC, Unit Hydrograph (UHG), Technical Manual, 19 pp.
- Pilgrim D.H. (eds.), 2001, Australian rainfall and runoff. A guide to flood estimation, vol. 1, Institution of Engineers, Australia
- Stachý J., Fal B., 1986, The principles for probable maximal flows calculation (in Polish), Prace Instytutu Badania Dróg i Mostów, 3-4, 91-147
- Strupczewski W., 1964, Equation of flood crest (in Polish), Wiadomości Służby Hydrologicznej i Meteorologicznej, 2 (57), 35-58
- Szalińska W., Otop I., Tokarczyk T., 2014, Precipitation extremes during flooding in the Odra River Basin in May-June 2010, Meteorology Hydrology and Water Management, 2 (1), 13-20
- Tokarczyk T., Szalińska W., 2013, The operational drought hazard assessment scheme – performance and preliminary results, Archives of Environmental Protection, 39 (3), 61-77
- Wałęga A., 2013, Application of HEC-HMS programme for the reconstruction of a flood event in an uncontrolled basin, Journal of Water and Land Development, 18 (9), 13-20, DOI: 10.2478/jwld-2013-0002
- Wójcik R., Pilarski M., Miętus M., 2014, Statistical downscaling of probability density function of daily precipitation on the Polish coast, Meteorology Hydrology and Water Management, 2 (1), 27-36
- Wypych A., Ustrnul Z., Henek E., 2014, Meteorological Hazards – Visualization System for National Protection Against Extreme Hazards for Poland, Meteorology Hydrology and Water Management, 2 (1), 37-42