Occurrence of leptospiral infections in swine population in Poland evaluated by ELISA and microscopic agglutination test
Treść / Zawartość
Swine are one of significant reservoirs and sources of Leptospira infections for man. Serological screenings help to effectively control the epidemiological situation in swine herds and to prevent transmission of Leptospira from animals to man. The purpose of this study was to investigate, by the use of serological methods, the prevalence of infections caused by selected Leptospira serogroups in swine population in Poland. A total of 7112 swine serum samples were examined. The samples were collected from January to October 2008 and came from 280 counties situated in all 16 provinces of Poland. All sera were examined preliminary by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) using heat-stable antigenic preparation. The samples positive or doubtful in ELISA were investigated by microscopic agglutination test (MAT) with use of serovars Icterohaemorrhagiae, Pomona, Canicola, Sejroe, Tarassovi and Grippotyphosa. Of the collected sera examined by ELISA 73 (1.02%) samples were positive, 85 (1.20%) – doubtful and 6954 – negative. Among ELISA-positive and doubtful sera 64 samples (coming from 14 provinces) were recognized in MAT as positive. Among MAT positive samples 42.19% of sera demonstrated titres with serovar Pomona, 32.81% – with Sejroe, 14.06% – with Icterohaemorrhagiae, 6.25% – with Tarassovi, 3.13% – with Grippotyphosa and 1.56% with Canicola.
- Adler B, Murphy AM, Locarnini SA, Faine S (1980) Detection of specific anti-leptospiral immunoglobulins M and G in human serum by solid-phase enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay. J Clin Microbiol 11: 452-457.
- Bolin CA (2008) Leptospirosis. In: OIE Manual of Standards for Diagnostic Tests and Vaccines for Terrestrial Animals. Office International des Epizooties, pp 251-264.
- Bolt I, Marshall RB (1995) The epidemiology of Leptospira interrogans serovar pomona in grower pig herds. N Z Vet J 43: 10-15.
- Brandis H (1956) Leptospirosis caused by type L. saxkoebing. Klin Wochenschr 34: 521- 523.
- Combiesco D, Sturdza N, Sefer M, Radu I (1958) Recherches sur les leptospirosis. Arch Roum Pathol Exp Microbiol 17: 245-250.
- Ellis WA (2006) Leptospirosis. In: Straw BE, Zimmerman JJ, D’Allaire S, Taylor DJ (eds) Diseases of Swine. 9th ed., Blackwell Publishing/Iowa State University Press, Ames, pp 691-700.
- Faine S (1994) Leptospira and Leptospirosis. 1st ed., CRC Press, Boca Raton.
- Guerra MA (2009) Leptospirosis. J Am Vet Med Assoc 234: 472-478.
- Hartman EG, van Houten M, van der Donk JA, Frik JF (1984) Determination of specific anti-leptospiral immunoglobulins M and G in sera of experimentally infected dogs by solid-phase enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay. Vet Immunol Immunopathol 7: 43-51.
- Jung BY, Park CK, Lee CH, Jung SC (2009) Seasonal and age-related seroprevalence of Leptospira species in pigs in Korea. Vet Rec 165: 345-346.
- Mendoza L, Prescott JF (1992) Serodiagnosis of leptospirosis in pigs using an axial filament enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay. Vet Microbiol 31: 55-70.
- Naito M, Sakoda Y, Kamikawa T, Nitta Y, Hirose K, Sakashita M, Kurokawa S, Kida H (2007) Serological evidence of leptospiral infection in pig populations in different districts in Japan. Microbiol Immunol 51: 593-599.
- Ribotta MJ, Higgins R, Gottshalk M, Lallier R (2000) Development of an indirect enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for the detection of leptospiral antibodies in dogs. Can J Vet Res 64: 32-37.
- Tagliabue S, Lafelli C, Brocchi E (1994) Standardization of an ELISA for the serological diagnosis of bovine leptospirosis. Selezione Veterinaria 35: 743-752.
- Terpstra WJ, Ligthart GS, Schoone GJ (1980) Serodiagnosis of human leptospirosis by enzyme-linked immunosorbent-assay (ELISA). Zentralbl Bakteriol A 247: 400-405.
- Theodoridis D, Bohmer J, Homuth M, Strutzberg-Minder K (2005) Development of a novel ELISA for serodiagnosis of Leptospirosis and additional detection of pathogenic Leptospira by polymerase chain reaction for veterinary routine diagnostics. Rev Cubana Med Trop 57: 49-50.
- Waltman WD 2nd, Dawe DL (1983) Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for the detection of antileptospiral antibodies in swine sera. Am J Vet Res 44: 1120-1122.
- Wasinski B (2005) Occurrence of Leptospira serovars in pigs in the years 2002-2003. Med Weter 61: 46-49.
- Wasinski B (2007) Occurrence of Leptospira sp. antibodies in swine in Poland. Bull Vet Inst Pulawy 51: 225-228.