Project RIOT - “Ring of Threats” as an example of a Decision Support System (DSS). Concept and realization
The current state of knowledge and the latest trends and examples of decision support systems (DSSs) are presented in this paper. Special emphasis was placed on a DSS proposal based on post-processed numerical weather forecasts operating in a real time. There is an essential need for decision support systems that can react to any incidents – including those that pose a risk to the natural environment or human activity in general. For this purpose an exemplary system has been prepared, which was – from its conception to implementation – the original idea of the author. The system enables communication with the user via a graphical user interface that controls the operation of the program, the course of the algorithm and the data flow. The system is modular, allowing the connection of other applications to carry out the work of a DSS. A basic view of the operating window and working panels have been designed for proper demonstration of various types of information and visualizations – the substantial products and results of the system. Further research in the field of DSS of this kind should be the implementation within the RIOT system of mechanisms of notification and response to crisis events related to extreme weather phenomena (whirlwinds, intensive rains, strong frosts or heats).
- Bąkowski R., Achimowicz J., Mazur, A., 2014, Current status of early warning systems for severe environmental threats in the Polish National Meteorological Service, Meteorology Hydrology and Water Management, 2 (2), 35-42
- Chernobyl: Assessment of Radiological and Health Impact 2002 Update of Chernobyl: Ten Years On, 2002, Nuclear Energy Agency, 157 pp., available at http://www.oecd-nea.org/rp/chernobyl/c02.html (data access 26.10.2015)
- Draxler R.R., Hess G.D., 1997, Description of the HYSPLIT_4 modeling system, NOAA Technical Memorandum ERL ARL-224, NOAA Air Resources Laboratory, Silver Spring, 24 pp., available at http://www.arl.noaa.gov/documents/reports/arl-224.pdf (data access 22.10.2015)
- Ehrhardt J., Präsler-Sauer J., Schüle O., Benz G., Rafat M., Richter J., 1993, Development of RODOS, a comprehensive decision support system for nuclear emergencies in Europe – an overview, Radiation Protection Dosimetry, 50 (2-4), 195-203
- Harsh S.B., 1998, Agricultural information systems: current applications and future prospects, [in:] Proceedings of the First Asian Conference for Information Technology in Agriculture, 1-8, available at http://www.afita.org/files/web_structure/20110307102312_40199/20110307102312_40199_1.pdf (data access 22.10.2015)
- Hoe S., McGinnity P., Charnock T., Gering F., Schou Jacobsen L.H., Havskov Sørensen J., Andersson K.G., Astrup P., 2009, ARGOS decision support system for emergency management, [in:] Proceedings of 12th Congress of the International Radiation Protection Association, IRPA 12, Argentine Radiation Protection Society, available at http://orbit.dtu.dk/files/3924948/Hoe_paper.pdf (data access 23.10.2015)
- Holsapple C.W., Whinston A.B., 1996, Decision support systems: a knowledge-based approach, St. Paul: West Publishing, 9060 pp.
- Laudon K.C., Laudon J.P., 2000, Management information systems, 6th edition, Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, New Jersey, 592 pp.
- Mazur A., 2008, Unified model for atmospheric transport of pollutants over Poland, doctoral dissertation, IMWM, Warszawa
- Mazur A., Bartnicki J., Zwoździak J., 2014a, Atmospheric aerosol dispersion models and their applications to environmental risk assessment, Medycyna Środowiskowa, 17 (1), 7-15
- Mazur A., Bartnicki J., Zwoździak J., 2014b, Operational model for atmospheric transport and deposition of air pollution, Ecological Chemistry and Engineering – S, 21 (3), 385-400, DOI: 10.2478/eces-2014-0028
- Morton S., 1971, Management decision systems: computerbased support for decision making, PhD Thesis, Harvard University, Boston, DOI: 10.2307/2392104
- Nodop K. (ed.), 1997, ETEX Symposium on Long-Range Atmospheric Transport, Model Verification and Emergency Response, JRC EU, IAEA and WMO Proceedings, Vienna (Austria)
- Pearrow M., 2000, Web site usability. Handbook, vol. 1, Charles River Media Internet Series, 350 pp.
- Sikorski M., 2009, Beyond the user interface: Towards usercentred design of online services, [in:] Human-Computer Interaction. New Trends, J.A. Jacko (ed.), 706-714, DOI: 10.1007/978-3-642-02574-7_79
- Stohl A., 2000, Modellierung von transportprozessen in der atmosphäre, habilitationsschrift an der Universität für Bodenkultur in Wien
- Stohl A., 1996, On the use of trajectories for establishing sourcereceptor relationships of air pollutants, PhD thesis, University of Vienna
- Strupczewski A., 1987, The causes and time course of the accident at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant with RBMK-type reactor (in Polish), Przegląd Elektrotechniczny
- Trojanowski W., Dobrzyński L., Droste E., 2006, The 20th anniversary of the accident at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant (in Polish), Department of Training and Consulting Institute of Nuclear Research, 34 pp., available at http://www.paa.gov.pl/uploads/pub/pages/page_163/text_images/czarnobyl.pdf (data access 26.10.2015