Investigating the effects of technical parameters of forest road planning and building on traffic noise reduction
This study was conducted to investigate the effect of longitudinal slope, type of surfacing layer, and forest stand status at the edge of the road on traffic noise reduction. Three types of vehicles, including a Land Rover, motorcar, and small truck were selected for this study. Noise intensity was recorded on eight measurement sites with distances of 0, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 75, and 100 meters from a forest road in an open area without trees, a pure stand of Alder, and a mixed stand. Results showed that the noise intensity of the Nissan was significantly more than that of Land Rover and Pride. Besides, traffic noise on the dirt road was more than that of the asphalt road. Vehicle noise intensity increased with increasing longitudinal slope of the road. The noise intensity produced by traffic in an open area was more than that in pure stands of Alder and mixed stands. Vehicle noise intensity decreased with increasing distances from the road.
- 1. FORMAN R.T.T., ALEXANDER L.E. Roads and their major ecological effects. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 29, 207, 1998.
- 2. MALEKI K., HOSSEINI S.M., NASIRI P. The effect of pure and mixed plantations of Robinia Pseudoacasia and Pinns Eldarica on traffic noise decrease. Int. J. Environ. Sei. 1,(2), 213, 2010.
- 3. ALIMOHAMMADI I., NASSIRI P., AZKHOSH M., HOSEINI M. Factors affecting road traffic noise annoyance among whith-collar employees working in Tehran. Iran. J. Environ. Health. Sei. Eng. 7, (1), 25, 2010.
- 4. ATMACA E., PEKER I., ALTIN A. Industrial noise and its effects on humans. Pol. J. Environ. Stud. 14, (6), 721, 2005.
- 5. ADAMS L.W., GEIS A.D. Effects of roads on small mammals. J. Appl. Ecol. 20, 403, 1983.
- 6. ERDOGAN E., YAZAGAN M.E. Landscaping in reducing traffic noise problem in cities: Ankara case. African J. Agri. Res. 4,(10), 1015,2009.
- 7. TROMBULAK S.C., FRISSEL C.A. Review of ecological effects of roads on terrestrial and aquatic communities. Conserv. Biol. 14, 18, 2000.
- 8. TANAKA S., SHIRAISHI B. Wind effects on noise propagation for complicated geographical and road configurations. Appl. Acoust. 69, 1038, 2008.
- 9. LI B., TAO S., DAWSON R.W., CAO J., LAM K. A GIS based road traffic noise prediction model. Appl. Acoust. 63, 679, 2002.
- 10. MISHRA R.K., PARIDA M., RANGNEKAR S. Evaluation and analysis of traffic noise along bus rapid transit system corridor. Int. J. Environ. Sci. Tech. 7, (4), 737, 2010.
- 11. RABIN L.A., MCCOWAN B., HOOPER S.L., OWINGS D.H. Anthropogenic noise and its effect on animal communication: an interface between comparative psychology and conservation biology. Int. J. Comp. Psych. 16, 172, 2003.
- 12. POCOCK Z., LAWRENCE R.E. How far into a forest does the effect of a road extend? Defining road edge effect in eucalypt forests of South-Eastern Australia. IN: Proceedings of the 2005 International Conference on Ecology and Transportation, Eds. Irwin CL, Garrett P, McDermott KP. Center for Transportation and the Environment, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC: pp. 397-405, 2006.
- 13. PERIS S.J., PESCADOR M. Effects of traffic noise on paserine populations in Mediterranean wooded pastures. Appl. Acoust. 65, (4), 357, 2004.
- 14. SAMARA T., TSITSONI T. Road traffic noise reduction by vegetation in the ring road of a big city. Proceedings of the International Conference on Environmental, Management, Engineering, Planning and Economics, Skiathos, June 24- 28, pp. 2591-2596, 2007.
- 15. REUNEN R., FOPPEN R., VEENBAAS G. Disturbance by traffic of breeding birds: Evaluation of the effect and considerations in planning and managing road corridors. Biodiver. Conserv. 6, 567,1997.
- 16. O'MALLEY V., KING E., KENNY L., DILWORTH C. Assessing methodologies for calculating road traffic noise levels in Ireland -Converting CRTN indicators to the EU indicators (Lden, Lnight). Appl. Acoust. 70, 284, 2009.
- 17. FATHI NAJAFABADI L., ESMAILI SARI A., GHASSEMEPOORI M. A comparative study of the effect of physical and biological barriers on noise pollution reduction in the area between Nour and Sisangan forest parks. J. Env. Sci. Tech. 9,(1), 79, 2007.
- 18. BANERJEE D., CHAKRABORTY S.K., BHATTACHARYYA S., GANGOPADHYAY A. Attitudinal response towards road traffic noise in the industrial town of Asansol, India. Environ. Monit. Assess. 151, 37, 2009.
- 19. AL-MUTAIRI N.Z., AL-ATTAR M.A., AL-RUKAIBI F.S. Traffic-generated noise pollution: exposure of road users and populations at the coast of Persian Gulf. Environ. Monit. Assess. 2011.
- 20. RHEINDT RE. The impact of roads on birds: Does song frequency play a role in determining susceptibility to noise pollution? J. Ornithol. 144, 295, 2003.
- 21. TSUNOKAWA K., HOBAN C. Roads and the environment handbook. World Bank Technical Paper No. 376, Washington, DC: World Bank. 1997.
- 22. MEHRAVARAN H., ZABANI S„ NABI BIDHENDI G.R., GHOUSI R., KESHAVARZI SHIRAZI H. Noise pollution evaluation method for identification of the critical zones in Tehran. Int. J. Environ. Res. 5, (1), 233, 2011.
- 23. PĂTROESCU M., IOJĂ M. Noise pollution generated by road traffic in Bucharest.http://www.portiledefier.ro/ccmesi/media/files/patroescu.pdf
- 24. IGLESIAS C., MATA C., MALO J.E. The influence of traffic noise on vertebrate road crossing through underpasses. AMBIO. 2011.