Comparative analysis of characterization methods of potential environmental pollution risk from livestock and poultry breeding
Based on statistics data of livestock and poultry of Guangdong Province, seven characterization methods were used to characterize potential environmental pollution risk of livestock and poultry breeding (LPB) of Guangdong and were analyzed comparatively. The results showed that the results of different characterization methods of potential environmental pollution risk of LPB were generally uneven in spatial distribution. The maximum value of seven characterization methods of potential environmental pollution risk of LPB were all in Shunde District, but the minimum value of seven characterization methods of potential environmental pollution risk of LPB were in different counties. In addition, the number of counties exceeding the safety thresholds also had large differences among different characterization methods of potential environmental pollution risk of LPB. The maximum number, second number, and minimum number of counties exceeding safety thresholds was by the alarm value of pig manure equivalent load of farmland calculated by nitrogen (AVPMELFN), livestock density (LD), and the pig manure equivalent load of farmland calculated by phosphorus (PMELFP), which accounting for 82.22%, 53.89%, and 11.11% of total counties, respectively. It showed that the most stringent method was the AVPMELFN followed by the LD, and the least stringent method was the PMELFP.
- 1. China animal husbandry Yearbook Editorial Committee. China animal husbandry Yearbook, Beijing: China Agriculture Press, 2000.
- 2. Zhang T., Bu M.D., Geng W. Pollution status and biogas-producing potential of livestock and poultry excrements in China. Chinese Journal of Ecology, 31, 1241, 2012.
- 3. Qiu H.G., Liao S.P., Jing Y., Luan J. Regional differences and development tendency of livestock manure pollution in china, Environmental Science, 34 (7), 2766, 2013.
- 4. Fischer G., Ermolieva T., Ermoliev Y., van Velthuizen H. Livestock production planning under environmental risks and uncertainties. Journal of Systems Science and Systems Engineering, 15 (4), 399, 2006.
- 5. Song D.P., Zhuang D.F., Chen W. Risk assessment of the farmland and water contamination with the livestock manure in anhui province. Environmental Science, 35 (1), 110, 2012.
- 6. Chadwick D., Jia W., Tong Y., Yu G., Shen Q., Chen Q. Improving manure nutrient management towards sustainable agricultural intensification in China. Agriculture Ecosystems & Environment, 209, 34, 2015.
- 7. Tamminga S. Pollution due to nutrient losses and its control in European animal production. Livestock Production Science, 84 (2), 101, 2003.
- 8. Li W., Li Y.X., Zhang F.S., Lin C.Y., Xiong X., Zhong Z. The spatial and temporal distribution features of animal production in three northeast provinces and the impacts of manure nutrients on the local environment. Journal of Agro-Environment Science, 26 (6), 2350, 2007.
- 9. Yan B. Moderate scale and potential scale estimation of livestock and poultry breeding in county scale based on multiple limited standards: a case study of Anhui Province. Environmental Pollution & Control, 39 (5), 467, 2017.
- 10. Song D.P., Zhuang D.F., Chen W. Risk assessment of the farmland and water contamination with the livestock manure in Anhui province. Environmental Science, 33 (1), 110, 2012.
- 11. Liu Z., Duan Z.Q. Distribution of manure resources and environmental loads of agro-ecological regions in China. Resources Science, 32 (5), 946, 2010.
- 12. Huang M.L., Xia Y., Fan X. P., Huang M., Wu M.Q., Liu D.B., Zhang F.L. Pollution status and total amount control of livestock and poultry breeding in Hubei province. Resources & Environment in the Yangtze Basin, 26 (2), 209, 2017.
- 13. Zhang X.H., Wang F., Zhen X.S., Xian X.U., Shen J.Y. Temporal and spatial distributions and pollution prevention of livestock mannure in Sichuan. Resources & Environment in the Yangtze Basin, 27 (2), 433, 2018.
- 14. Zhu J.C., Zhang Z.Q., Fan Z.M., Li R.H. Biogas potential, cropland load and total amount control of animal manure in China. Journal of Agro-Environment Science, 33 (3), 435, 2014.
- 15. Wang X.L., Wu C.Q., Feng A.P., Ma Y.H., Wang X.X., Chen M.P. Application of DPeRS model on estimation of non-point source pollution load of ammonia nitrogen and chemical oxygen demand in Chao Lake basin. Acta Scientiae Circumstantiae, 35 (9), 2883, 2015.
- 16. Geng W., Hu L., Cui J.Y., Bu M.D., Zhang B.B. Biogas energy potential for livestock manure and gross control of animal feeding in region level of China. Transactions of the Chinese Society of Agricultural Engineering, 29 (1), 171, 2013.
- 17. Meng C., Li Y.Y., Xu X.G., Gao R., Wang Y., Zhang M.Y., Wu J.H. A case study on non-point source pollution and environmental carrying capacity of animal raising industry in subtropical watershed. Acta Scientiae Circumstantiae, 33 (2), 635, 2013.
- 18. Yan B.J., Qian Y.G., Pan Y.C. A method to estimate livestock manure nutrient load of farmland in field patch scale. Fresenius Environmental Bulletin, 25 (6), 1942, 2016.
- 19. Lan Y., Liu S. J., Xiang P.A. Quantifying the pollution loading from livestock and poultry of family farm-based on the sample of counties in Hunan province. Economic Geography, 35 (10), 187, 2015.
- 20. Wu L.F., Ouyang Z., Xie X.L. Nitrogen and phosphorus balance of cropland at regional scale for integrated croplivestock farming system in two different areas. Journal of Natural Resources, 26 (6), 943, 2011.
- 21. Feng A.P., Wang X.L., Liu Z., Wang X.X. Temporalspatial analysis of environmental risks from animal production in Northeast China. Research of Environmental Sciences, 28 (6), 967, 2015.
- 22. Chen K.L., Li J.T. Zhong X.L., Wang F., Ni J., Li X.J. Analysis on Spatial-temporal Variation Characteristics and Farmland Load of Poultry and Livestock Excrement in Guangdong Province. Journal of Anhui Agricultural Sciences, 40 (12), 7177, 7185, 2012.
- 23. Yao W.J., Zhao L.G. Research on the dynamic coupling of environmental load with economy growth in the industry of livestock and poultry breeding: Based on the time-series data of Zhejiang in 1978-2012. Journal of China Agricultural University, 19 (6), 242, 2014.
- 24. Mubareka S., Maes J., Lavalle C., Roo A.D. Estimation of water requirements by livestock in Europe. Ecosystem Services, 4, 139, 2013.
- 25. Yan B., Shi W., Wang Z., Zhu M., Liu Y. The environmental risk assessment in farmland polluted by livestock and poultry feces in Fujian province based on multi-indices. Acta Scientiae Circumstantiae, 37 (3), 1146, 2017.