The semi-Markov model of energy state changes of the main marine internal combustion engine and method for evaluating its operation during ship voyage
The article presents a method for evaluating the operation of internal combustion engines used as the main engines in the propulsion systems of sea-going ships in various operating conditions. This method enables calculating the engine operation value based on the theory of semi-Markov processes and mathematical statistics. What is noteworthy, the operation of the examined internal combustion engines is compared to a physical quantity which is expressed in the form of a number with the measure unit called joule-second. a model having the form of a semi-Markov process is proposed to describe the energy state changes taking place in the main engines during their operation. Also proposed is the use of the point and interval estimation at a given conﬁdence level β for determining the value of the energy converted in the engine during its operation for the known and unknown standard energy deviation treated as the random variable. The semi-Markov model of changes of the energy converted in the engine during its operation is presented in a general form. The above model was used for determining the ship’s main engine operation, which is in the examined case a function of the energy converted in particular energy states, the expected value of the time of duration of these states and the probability of their existence. These probabilities compose the limiting distribution of the semi-Markov process, the values of which are the speciﬁed main engine energy states
- 1. Firkowicz S.: Statistic evaluation of quality and reliability of electron tubes (in Polish). WNT, Warszawa 1963.
- 2. Girtler J.: a method for evaluating the performance of a marine piston internal combustion engine used as the main engine on a ship during its voyage in different sailing conditions Polish Maritime Research. Vol. 17, iss. 4(67), 2010.
- 3. Girtler J.: Physical aspect of application and usefulness of semiMarkovian processes for modelling the processes occurring in operational phase of technical objects. Polish Maritime Research. 2004 nr 3(41), vol. 11, pp. 25-30.
- 4. Girtler J.: Possibility of valuation of operation of marine diesel engines. Journal of POLISH CIMAC, Vol. 4, No 1, 2009.
- 5. Girtler J.: Energy-based aspect of operation of diesel engine. COMBUSTION ENGINES No 2/2009 (137).
- 6. Girtler J.: Conception of valuation of combustion engine operation. Journal of KONES. Powertrain and Transport. Editorial Ofﬁce Institute of Aeronautics BK, Warsaw 2008.
- 7. Grabski F.: Theory of semi-Markov processes of operation of technical objects (in Polish). ZN AMW nr 75A, Gdynia 1982.
- 8. Gribbin J.: In Search of Schrödinger’s Cat Quantum Physics Reality. (Polish issue). Zysk i S-ka Wydawnictwo s.c. Poznań 1 997.
- 9. Helwitt P.G.: Physics around us (in Polish). PWN, Warszawa 2001.
- 10. Pawłowski Z.: Mathematical statistics (in Polish). PWN, Warszawa 1980.
- 11. Piotrowski I., Witkowski K.: Operation of marine internal combustion engines (in Polish). AM, Gdynia 2002.
- 12. Rosłanowski J.: Identiﬁcation of ships propulsion engine operation by means of dimensional analysis. Journal of POLISH CIMAC, Vol 4, No 1, 2009.
- 13. Rudnicki J.: On making into account value of operational applied to ship main propulsion engine as an example. Journal of POLISH CIMAC, Vol 4, No 1, 2009.
- 14. Volk W.: Applied statistics for engineers (in Polish). WNT, Warszawa 1965.
- 15. Wajand J.A.: Compression-ignition engine (in Polish). WNT, Warszawa 1988.
- 16. Włodarski J.K.: Operating states of marine internal combustion engines (in Polish). WSM, Gdynia 1998.
- 17. Wojnowski W.: Marine internal-combustion power plants, Pt I. (in Polish). AMW, Gdynia 1999.
- 18. Encyclopaedia of contemporary physics (in Polish). Collective work. Editor: Redakcja Nauk Matematyczno-Fizycznych i Techniki Zespołu Encyklopedii i Słowników PWN. PWN, Warsaw 1983.
- 19. Scientiﬁc and technical lexicon with supplement (in Polish). Collective work. Editor: Zespół redaktorów Działu Słownictwa Technicznego WNT. WNT, Warsaw 1989.