Time-dependent changes of cytokines mRNA in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid from symptomatic Recurrent Airway Obstruction- affected horses
Treść / Zawartość
During an 18 day test, we measured the cytokine mRNA expression (Interleukin-1β [IL-1β], Interleukin-8 [IL-8], Interferon-γ [IFN-γ], Tumor Necrosis Factor-α [TNF-α]) of cells from bronchoalveolar lavage fluid [BALF] in five horses previously diagnosed with RAO, before and during challenge exposure, and after the desensitization phase which involved dexamethasone treatment and environmental modification. Simultaneously, the same cytokine mRNA expression of cells from BALF in four asymptomatic RAO-affected horses maintained outdoors was analyzed. An evident respiratory distress was observed in the challenge group within 3 days, with a significant overexpression of IL-8 and TNF-α mRNA on the ninth day. The pharmacological and environmental desensitization provided a down regulation of all the cytokines. No statistical modification characterized the cytokine kinetics of the asymptomatic horses maintained outdoors. A comparison for each time point of the cytokines between the exposed and unexposed horses showed no significant differences. The study suggested that a standardized exposure protocol and sampling time in experimental studies of RAO is mandatory for a correct comparison of the results obtained by different Authors. However, the absence of significant changes between the exposed and unexposed horses could depend on the lack of the sample uniformity since the evolution of the disease represents a continuum from a healthy to a pathological condition.
- Ainsworth DM, Appleton JA, Antczak DF, Santiago MA, Aviza G (2002) IgG antibody responses to an inhaled antigen in horses with "heaves" (recurrent airway obstruction). Vet Immunol Immunopathol 84: 169-180.
- Ainsworth DM, Grunig G, Matychak MB, Young J, Wagner B, Erb HN, Antczak DF (2003) Recurrent airway obstruction (RAO) in horses is characterized by IFN-γ and IL-8 production in bronchoalveolar lavage cells. Vet Immunol Immunopathol 96: 83-91.
- Ainsworth DM, Wagner B, Franchini M, Grunig G, Erb HN, Tan JY (2006) Time-dependent alterations in gene expression of interleukin-8 in the bronchial epithelium of horses with recurrent airway obstruction. Am J Vet Res 67: 669-677.
- Ainsworth DM, Wagner B, Erb HN, Young JC, Retallick DE (2007) Effects of in vitro exposure to hay dust on expression of interleukin-17, -23, -8, and -1β and chemokine (C-X-C motif) ligand 2 by pulmonary mono-nuclear cells isolated from horses chronically affected with recurrent airway disease. Am J Vet Res 68: 1361-1369.
- Ainsworth DM, Cheetam J (2010) Disorders of the respiratory system. In: Reed SM, Bayly WM, Sellon DC (eds) Equine Internal Medicine. 3th ed., Saunders Elsevier, St. Louis, MO, pp 290-371.
- Bowles KS, Beadle RE, Mouch S, Pourciau SS, Little-field-Chabaud MA, Le Blanc C, Mistric L, Fermaglich D, Horohov DW (2002) A novel model for equine recurrent airway obstruction. Vet Immunol Immunopathol 87: 385-389.
- Bureau F, Bonizzi H, Kirschvink N, Delhalle S, Desmecht D, Merville MP, Bours V, Lekeux P (2000) Correlation between nuclear factor-kappaB activity in bronchial brushing samples and lung dysfunction in an animal model of asthma. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 161: 1314-1321.
- Cordeau ME, Joubert P, Dewachi O, Hamid Q, Lavoie JP (2004) IL-4, IL-5 and IFN-γ mRNA expression in pulmonary lymphocytes in equine heaves. Vet Immunol Immunopathol 97: 87-96.
- Debrue M, Hamilton E, Joubert P, Lajoie-Kadoch S, Lavoie JP (2005) Chronic exacerbation of equine heaves is associated with an increased expression of interleukin-17 mRNA in bronchoalveolar lavage cells. Vet Immunol Immunopathol 105: 25-31.
- Franchini M, Gill U, von Fellenberg R, Bracher VD (2000) Interleukin-8 concentration and neutrophil chemotactic activity in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid of horses with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease following exposure to hay. Am J Vet Res 61: 1369-1374.
- Giguère S, Prescott JF (1999) Quantitation of equine cytokine mRNA expression by reverse transcription-competitive polymerase chain reaction. Vet Immunol Immunopathol 67: 1-15.
- Giguère S, Viel L, Lee E, MacKay RJ, Hernandez J, Franchini M (2002) Cytokine induction in pulmonary airways of horses with heaves and effect of therapy with inhaled fluticasone propionate. Vet Immunol Immunopathol 85: 147-158.
- Horohov DW, Beadle RE, Mouch S, Pourciau SS (2005) Temporal regulation of cytokine mRNA expression in equine recurrent airway obstruction. Vet Immunol Immunopathol 108: 237-245.
- Joubert P, Silversides DW, Lavoie JP (2001) Equine neutrophils express mRNA for tumor necrosis factor-α, interleukin (IL)-1 β, IL-6, IL-8, macrophage-inflammatory-protein-2 but not for IL-4, IL-5 and interferon-gamma. Equine Vet J 33: 730-733.
- Kleiber C, McGorum BC, Horohov DW, Pirie RS, Zurbriggen A, Straub R (2005) Cytokine profiles of peripheral blood and airway CD4 and CD8 T lymphocytes in horses with recurrent airway obstruction. Vet Immunol Immunopathol 104: 91-97.
- Laan TT, Bull S, Pirie RS, Fink-Gremmels J (2005) Evaluation of cytokine production by equine alveolar macrophages exposed to lipopolysaccharide, Aspergillus fumigatus, and a suspension of hay dust. Am J Vet Res 66: 1584-1589.
- Laan TT, Bull S, Pirie R, Fink-Gremmels J (2006) The role of alveolar macrophages in the pathogenesis of recurrent airway obstruction in horses. J Vet Intern Med 20: 167-174.
- Lavoie JP, Maghni K, Desnoyers M, Taha R, Martin JG, Hamid QA (2001) Neutrophilic airway inflammation in horses with heaves is characterized by a Th2-type cytokine profile. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 164: 1410-1413.
- Marti E, Gerber V, Wilson AD, Lavoie JP, Horohov D, Crameri R, Lunn DP, Antczak D, Björnsdóttir S, Björnsdóttir TS, Cunningham F, Dérer M, Frey R, Hamza E, Horin P, Heimann M, Kolm-Stark G, Olafsdóttir G, Ramery E, Russell C, Schaffartzik A, Svansson V, Torsteinsdóttir S, Wagner B (2008) Report of the 3rd Havemeyer workshop on allergic diseases of the Horse, Hólar, Iceland, June 2007. Vet Immunol Immunopathol 126: 351-361.
- Matera MG, Calzetta L, Peli A, Scagliarini A, Matera C, Cazzola M (2005) Immune sensitization of equine bronchus: glutathione, IL-1β expression and tissue responsiveness. Respir Res 6: 104.
- Mazan MR, Hoffman AM (2003) Clinical techniques for diagnosis of inflammatory airway disease in the horse. Clin Tech Equine Pract 2: 238-257.
- Pirie RS, Collie DD, Dixon PM, McGorum BC (2003) Inhaled endotoxin and organic dust particulates have synergistic proinflammatory effects in equine heaves (organic dust-induced asthma). Clin Exp Allergy 33: 676-683.
- Reyner CL, Wagner B, Young JC, Ainsworth DM (2009) Effects of in vitro exposure to hay dust on expression of interleukin-23, -17, -8, and -1β and chemokine (C-X-C motif) ligand 2 by pulmonary mononuclear cells from horses susceptible to recurrent airway obstruction. Am J Vet Res 70: 1277-1283.
- Riihimäki M, Raine A, Art T, Lekeux P, Coultil L, Pringle J (2008a) Partial divergence of cytokine mRNA expression in bronchial tissues compared to bronchoalveolar lavage cells in horses with recurrent airway obstruction. Vet Immunol Immunopathol 122: 256-264.
- Riihimàki M, Raine A, Elfman L, Pringle J (2008b) Markers of respiratory inflammation in horses in relation to seasonal changes in air quality in a conventional racing stable. Can J Vet Res 72: 432-439.
- Riihimäki M, Raine A, Pourazar J, Sandström T, Art T, Lekeux P, Couëtil L, Pringle J (2008c) Epithelial expression of mRNA and protein for IL-6, IL-10 and TNF-α in endobronchial biopsies in horses with recurrent airway obstruction. BMC Vet Res 4: 8.
- Sweeney CR, Rossier Y, Ziemer EL, Lindborg SR (1994) Effect of prior lavage on bronchoalveolar lavage fluid cell population of lavaged and unlavaged lung segments in horses. Am J Vet Res 55: 1501-1504.