Exhaust gas temperature measurements in diagnostics of turbocharged marine internal combustion engines. Part II. Dynamic measurements
The second part of the article describes the technology of marine engine diagnostics making use of dynamic measurements of the exhaust gas temperature. Little-known achievements of Prof. S. Rutkowski of the Naval College in Gdynia (now: Polish Naval Academy) in this area are presented. A novel approach is proposed which consists in the use of the measured exhaust gas temperature dynamics for qualitative and quantitative assessment of the enthalpy flux of successive pressure pulses of the exhaust gas supplying the marine engine turbocompressor. General design assumptions are presented for the measuring and diagnostic system which makes use of a sheathed thermocouple installed in the engine exhaust gas manifold. The corrected thermal inertia of the thermocouple enables to reproduce a real timehistory of exhaust gas temperature changes
- 1. Buczek A., Nocoń J., Słupek S.: Thermo technology (in Polish). AGH, Kraków, 2002.
- 2. Furmański P., Domański R.: Hest transfer (in Polish). Oficyna Wydawnicza Politechniki Warszawskiej, Warszawa, 2004.
- 3. Jaremkiewicz M., Taler D. Sobota T.: Measuring transient temperature of the medium in power engineering machines and installations. Elsevier. Applied Thermal Engineering. 29 (2009), 3374 – 3379.
- 4. Korczewski Z.: Method to diagnose turbocharged marine engines based on results of examination of gas dynamics processes in the exhaust gas system (in Polish). Diagnostyka, Vol. 28/2003 r., p. 87-95
- 5. Korczewski et al.: Method to diagnose warship engines with limited ability for intra-cylinder pressure measurements based on results of examination of gas dynamics processes in the turbo-charging system (in Polish). Research project No. 0T00B02129 financed by MNiSW. AMW Gdynia, 2008.
- 6. Korczewski Z.: An entropy function application within the selection process of diagnostic parameters of marine diesel and gas turbine engines. Polish Maritime Research, 2(65)/2010, Vol.17, p. 29-35.
- 7. Korczewski Z.: Exhaust gas temperature measurements in diagnostic examination of naval gas turbine engines. Part III. Diagnostic and operating tolerances. Polish Maritime Research, No. 4(71)/2011, Vol.18, p. 49-53.
- 8. Korczewski Z.: Analysing possible use of the diagnostic model of piston-crankshaft systems in internal combustion engines and evaluating its practical applicability for controlling rationally the operation of these engines taking into account an expert system (in Polish). Publication within the framework of the research project Nr N509 494638 financed by MNiSW. Gdansk University of Technology, 2012.
- 9. Korczewski Z., Zacharewicz M.: Alternative diagnostic method applied on marine diesel engines having limited monitoring susceptibility. Transactions of the Institute of Measurement and Control, Great Britain SAGE - Vol. 34, No. 8/December/2012, 2012, p. 937-946.
- 10. Kluj S.: Diagnostics of marine machinery (in Polish). Monographic publication. AM Gdynia 2000.
- 11. Pfriem, H.: Zur messung vernderlicher temperaturen von gasen und flssigkeiten (On the measurement of fluctuating temperatures of gases and fluids). Forschung auf dem Gebiete des Ingenieurwesens,7(2)/1936, pp. 85-92 (in German).
- 12. Piotrowski I., Witkowski K.: Operation of marine internal combustion engines (in Polish). Monographic publication. Gdynia Maritime University, Gdynia 2002.
- 13. Polanowski S., Zellma M.: The peak value determination of cylinder pressure rate with the basic splines or follow-up approximation. Journal of KONES’97, s. 297-303, 1997.
- 14. Polanowski S.: A study of methods to analyse indicator diagrams in the aspect of marine engine diagnostics (in Polish) . Zeszyty Naukowe AMW, nr 169A. Gdynia 2007.
- 15. Rutkowski S.: Using dynamic exhaust gas temperature measurements in diagnostics of marine internal combustion engines (in Polish). A copy of a typed abstract of the article written in 1976.
- 16. Rychter T., Teodorczyk A.: Theory of piston engines (in Polish). WKiŁ, Warsaw 2006.
- 17. Scott W.: Diagnosing Causes of High EGT in Marine Engines. Marine Machinery, Engines & Controls. Edited by Lamar Stonecypher (updated: 11/2/2011).
- 18. Wisłocki K.: Charging systems for high-speed internal combustion engines (in Polish). WKiŁ, Warszawa 1991.
- 19. Wiśniewski S.: Technical thermodynamics (in Polish). WNT, Warszawa 2005.
- 20. Wiśniewski S.: Temperature measurements in examination of engines and thermal facilities (in Polish). WNT, Warszawa 1983.
- 21. Woodyard D.: Pounders marine diesel engines and gas turbine. Great Britain ELSEVIER, 2004 (eighth edition).
- 22. Wojnowski W.: Marine internal combustion engine power plants. Part I (in Polish). Polish Naval Academy. Gdynia 1998.
- 23. www.intercars.com.pl