Biofilm production and presence of ica and bap genes in Staphylococcus aureus strains isolated from cows with mastitis in the Eastern Poland
The aim of the study was phenotypic and genotypic analysis of 132 S. aureus strains isolated from mastitis in eastern Poland in respect to their biofilm formation ability. The analysis of the size polymorphism of fragment X in the gene encoding protein A (spa) revealed high genetic differentiation of the analyzed group of isolates. The ability of biofilm formation by the isolates was tested using two phenotypic methods. The Congo Red plate assay was found to be irreproducible and very subjective. More objective results were obtained using the spectrophotometric, microtiter plate assay. Most of the isolates, namely 76/132 (57.6 %) were classified as biofilm producers depending on the value of absorbance in the microtiter plate test. All of the isolates tested were found to possess both icaA and icaD genes, while the bap gene was absent in all strains.
- Arciola C.R., L. Baldassarri and L. Montanaro. 2001. Presence of icaA and icaD genes and slime production in a collection of staphylococcal strains from cathered – associated infections. J. Clin. Microbiol. 39: 2151–2156.
- Atshan S.S. and M.N. Shamsudin. 2011. Evaluation of phenotypic and genotypic detection methods for biofilm-forming methicillinsensitive and methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus clinical isolates. Ann. Microbiol. DOI 10.1007/s13213-011-0201-1 – in press
- Brakstad O.G., K. Aasbakk and J.A. Maeland. 1992. Detection of Staphylococcus aureus by polymerase chain reaction amplification of the nuc gene. J. Clin. Microbiol. 30: 1654–1660.
- Christensen G.D., W.A. Simpson, J.J. Younger, L.M. Baddour, F.F. Barrett, D.M. Melton and E.H. Beachey. 1985. Adherence of coagulase-negative staphylococci to plastic tissue culture plates: a@quantitative model for the adherence of staphylococci to medical devices. J. Clin. Microbiol. 22: 996–1006.
- Ci!ci A., A. E.E. Onuk and S. Savasan. 2009. Detection of methicillin resistance and slime factor production of Staphylococcus aureus in bovine mastitis. Braz. J. Microbiol. 40: 254–261.
- Cramton S.E., C. Gerke, N.F. Schnell, W.W. Nichols and F. Gotz. 1999. "e intracellular adhesion (ica) locus is present in Staphylococcus aureus and is required for biofilm formation. Infect. Immun. 67: 5427–5433.
- Cucarella C., C. Solano, J. Valle, B. Amorena, I. Lasa and J.R. Penadés. 2001. Bap, a Staphylococcus aureus surface protein involved in biofilm formation. J. Bacteriol. 183: 2888–2896.
- Dhanawade N.B., D.R. Kalorey, R. Srinivasan, S.B. Barbuddhe and N.V. Kurkure. 2010. Detection of intercellular adhesion genes and biofilm production in Staphylococcus aureus isolated from bovine subclinical mastitis. Vet. Res. Commun. 34: 81–89.
- Dziekiewicz-Mrugasiewicz M., M. Rzewuska, J. Stefanska and A. Jakubczak. 2008. Select pathogenic characteristics as well as the genotypic diversity of Staphylococcus aureus strains isolated from milk of cows in the north-east region of Poland. Medycyna Wet. 64: 961–1072.
- Fowler V.G., P.D. Fey, L.B. Reller, A.L. Chamis, G.R. Corey and M.E. Rupp. 2001. "e intercellular adhesion (ica) locus is present in clinical isolates of Staphylococcus aureus from bacteremic patients with infected and uninfected prosthetic joints. Med. Microbiol. Immunol. 189: 127–131.
- Freeman D.J., F.R. Falkiner and C.T. Keane. 1989. New method for detecting slime production by coagulase negative Staphylococci. J. Clin. Pathol. 42: 872–874.
- Frenay H.M., J. #eelen and L. Scjouls. 1994. Discrimination of epidemic and nonepidemic methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus strains on the basis of protein A gene polymorphism. J. Clin. Microbiol. 32: 846–847.
- Frenay H.M., A.E. Bunschoten, L.M. Schouls, W.J. van Leeuwen, C.M. Vanderbroucke-Grauls, J. Verhoef and F.R. Mooi. 1996. Molecular typing of methycillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus on the basis of protein A gene polymorphism. Eur. J. Clin. Microbiol. Infect. Dis. 15: 60–64.
- Grinholc M., G. Wegrzyn and J. Kurlenda. 2007. Evaluation of biofilm production and prevalence of the icaD gene in methicillinresistant and methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureus strains isolated from patients with nosocomial infections and carriers. FEMS Immunol. Med. Microbiol. 50: 375–379.
- Jakubczak A., P. Szweda, K. Lukaszewska and J. Kur. 2007. Molecular typing of Staphylococcus aureus isolated from cows with mastitis in the east of Poland on the basis of polymorphism of genes coding protein A and coagulase. Polish J. Vet. Sci. 10: 199–205.
- Knobloch J.K.M., M.A. Horstkotte, H. Rohde and D. Mack. 2002. Evaluation of di$erent detection methods of biofilm formation in Staphylococcus aureus. Med. Microbiol. Immunol. 191: 101–106.
- Krukowski H., M. Szymankiewicz and A. Lisowski. 2008. Slime production by Staphylococcus aureus strains isolated from cases of bovine mastitis. Polish J. Microbiol. 57: 253–255.
- Lasa I. and J.R. Penadés. 2006. Bap: a family of surface proteins involved in biofilm formation. Res. Microbiol. 157: 99–107.
- Malinowski E. and A. Klossowska. 2010. Mastitis caused by coagulase-negative staphylococci in cows. Medycyna Wet. 66: 89–92.
- Melchior M.B., J. Fink-Gremmels and W. Gaastra. 2006a. Comparative assessment of of the antimicrobial susceptibility of Staphylococcus aureus isolates from bovine mastitis in biofilm versus planktonic culture. J. Vet. Med. B Infect. Dis. Vet. Public Health 53: 326–332.
- Melchior M.B., H. Vaarkamp and J. Fink-Gremmels. 2006b. Biofilms: A role in recurrent mastitis infections? Vet. J. 171: 398–407.
- Melchior M.B., J. Fink-Gremmels and W. Gaastra. 2007. Extended antimicrobial susceptibility assay for Staphylococcus aureus isolates from bovine mastitis growing in biofilm. Vet. Microbiol. 125: 141–149.
- Melchior M.B., M.H.J. van Osch, R.M. Graat, E. van Duijkeren, D.J. Mevius, M. Nielen, W. Gaastra and J. Fink-Gremmels. 2009. Biofilm formation and genotyping of Staphylococcus aureus bovine mastitis isolates: Evidence for lack of penicillin-resistance in Agrtype II strains. Vet. Microbiol. 137: 83–89.
- Milanov D., S. Lazic, B. Vidic, J. Petrovic, D. Bugarski and Z. Seguljev. 2010. Slime production and biofilm forming ability by Staphylococcus aureus bovine mastitis isolates. Acta Vet-Beorgad 60: 217–226.
- Murugan K., M. Usha, P. Malathi, A.S. Al-Sohaibani and M. Chandrasekaran. 2010. Biofilm forming multi drug resistant Staphylo coccus spp. among patients with conjunctivitis. Polish J. Microbiol. 59: 233–239.
- Nitzsche S., C. Zweifel and R. Stephan. 2007. Phenotypic and genotypic traits of Staphylococcus aureus strains isolated from pig carcasses. Vet. Microbiol. 120: 292–299.
- Piepers S., L. De Meulemeester, A. de Kruif, G. Opsomer, H.W. Barkema and S. De Fliegher. 2007. Prevalence and distribution of mastitis pathogens in subclinically infected dairy cows in Flanders, Belgium. J. Dairy Res. 74: 478–483.
- Rodrigues L.B., L.R. dos Santos, V.Z. Tagliari, N.N. Rizzo, G. Trenhago, A.P. de Oliveira, F. Goetz and V.P. do Nascimento. 2010. Quantification of biofilm production on polystyrene by Listeria, Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus isolated from poultry slaughterhouse. Braz. J. Microbiol. 41: 1082–1085.
- Rohde H., J.K.M. Knobloch, M.A. Horstkotte and D. Mack. 2001. Correlation of Staphylococcus aureus icaADBC genotype and biofilm expression phenotype. J. Clin. Microbiol. 39: 4595–4596.
- Smulski S., E. Malinowski, M. Kaczmarowski and H. Lassa. 2011. Occurrence, forms and etiologic agents of mastitis in Poland depending on size of farm. Medycyna Wet. 67: 190–193.
- Tenhagen B.A., G. Koster, J. Wallmann and W. Heuwieser. 2006. Prevalence of mastitis pathogens and their resistance against antimicrobial agents in dairy cows in Brandenburg, Germany. J. Dairy Sci. 89: 2542–2551.
- Vancraeynest D., K. Hermans and F. Haesebrouck. 2004. Genotypic and phenotypic screening of high and low virulence Staphylococcus aureus isolates from rabbits for biofilm formation and MSCRAMMs. Vet. Microbiol. 103: 241–247.
- Vasudevan P., M.K.M. Nair, T. Annamalai and K.S. Venkitanarayanan. 2003. Phenotypic and genotypic characterization of bovine mastitis isolates of Staphylococcus aureus for biofilm formation. Vet. Microbiol. 92: 179–185.
- Vautor E., G. Abadie, A. Pont and R. #iery. 2008. Evaluation of the presence of the bap gene in Staphylococcus aureus isolates recovered from human and animals species. Vet. Microbiol. 127: 407–411.
- Watts J.L. 1988. Etiological agents of bovine mastitis. Vet. Microbiol. 16: 41–66.
- Zmantar T., B. Kouidhi, H. Miladi, K. Mahdouani and A. Bakhrouf. 2010. A Microtiter plate assay for Staphylococcus aureus biofilm quantification at various pH levels and hydrogen peroxide supplementation. New Microbiol. 33: 137–145.
Rekord w opracowaniu