Bolesław K. Dumanowski
Treść / Zawartość
Professor Bolesław Dumanowski - a geomorphologist and a regional geographer was born on 24 March 1927 in Podolia. In 1952 he obtained the master's degree in geomorphology at the Wrocław University where then he started scientific research and received the degree of a Doctor of Philosophy in 1958 and completed his habilitation procedure in 1964. In 1965 Bolesław Dumanowski commenced his work at the University of Warsaw which he continued until the end of his life. He was bound to the Department of Regional Geography and to the African Institute. He travelled abroad several times: to China (1956), Egypt (1959), the Great Britain (1965), Tanzania (1972-1974), and Libya (1984-1987), among the others. At the University of Warsaw he was the Vice-director of the African Institute (1974-1975), the Director of the Department of Regional Geography (1975-1997), an Associated Dean (1980-1981) and the Dean of the Faculty of Geography and Regional Studies ( 1981-1984). Professor Dumanowski's scientific output comprised works in geomorphology, regional geography and methodology of geography. He was the author of several unconventional hypothesis. In his geomorphologic works he explained the origin and the development of the Sudety Mountains relief, focusing on slope covers and slope morphology in reference to lithology and climate, the origin of spherical cavities in sandstones and the structure of moraines. His study in Africa concerned the origin of depressions surrounding the granitic masiifs, the formation of copies dunes, the evolution of slopes and morphology of the wadi. Professor's works were published in Zeitschrift für Geomorphologie. In the regional geography he contributed with works on the impact of the natura) environment variability (measured by the gradient size of chosen elements) on the distribution and density of population and with its amplification in his scientific method of the environment evaluation measured by its diversity in the basie fields. During his work at the University of Warsaw professor Bolesław Dumanowski lectured on the structure and the evolution of nature, on the physical geography of continents (especially of Africa), on methodology of geography and of the regional geography, and on the tropical zone geography. He tutored few dozen master's and four doctor's theses. He died October 25, 2005 in Warsaw.
- Skotnicki M., 1997, Bolesław Dumanowski w oczach Jego współpracowników, Prace i Studia Geograficzne WGSR UW, 19, 11-14.
- Winid B., 1997, Profesor dr hab. Bolesław Dumanowski. Słowo wstępne, Prace i Studia Geograficzne WGSR UW, 19, 9-10.
- Jahn A., 1997, Profesorowi dr. hab. Bolesławowi Dumanowskiemu w 70-tą rocznicę Jego urodzin, Prace i Studia Geograficzne WGSR UW, 19, 8.
- Kusiński W., 2005, Bolesław Dumanowski. Pożegnanie (1927-2005), Gazeta Wyborcza, 15 grudnia.
- Kantowicz E., Skotnicki M., Walewski A., 2007, Bolesław Dumanowski 1927-2005, Przegląd Geograficzny, 79, 1, 179-181.
- Jaworska B., 2007, Mistrz i Małgorzata, Przegląd Geograficzny, 79, 1, 182-183.