Microbiological quality of compound feed used in Poland
The aim of the study was the assessment of microbiological quality of compound feed used in Poland in 2007-2010. The examinations were done at all veterinary diagnostic laboratories operating in the frame of official laboratory system. The occurrence of Salmonella sp. and counts of Enterobacteriaceae family, mesophilic aerobic bacteria, total microorganisms, and fungi were assessed. Assays were done following Polish, European, and international standards. Percentage of contamination of compound feed for poultry, pigs, and cattle by Salmonella sp. ranged from 0% to 3.5%. The highest contamination level by Enterobacteriaceae bacteria were detected in wet petfood. No more than 10⁶ cfu/g of aerobic bacteria and no more than 10⁵ cfti/g of fungi were detected in the feed. The results of the study revealed that the microbiological quality of compound feed used in Poland in 2007-2010 was better than the quality of the feed used in 2003-2006.
- 1. Andersson, G., Häggblom, P.: Sampling for contaminants in feed. Feed Int 2009,30, 16-19.
- 2. Anon.: Scientific report of EFSA and ECDC. The European Union summary report on trends and sources of zoonoses, zoonotic agents and food-borne outbreaks in 2009. www.efsa.europa.eu/en/efsajournal/doc/2090.pdf
- 3. Anon.: Scientific report of EFSA and ECDC. The European Union summary report on trends and sources of zoonoses, zoonotic agents and food-borne outbreaks in 2010. www. efsa. europa. eu/en/efsajournal/doc/2597.pdf
- 4. Colditz I.G.: Effects of the immune system on metabolism: implications for production and disease resistance in livestock. Livest Prod Sci 2002, 3, 257-268.
- 5. Cox N.A., Bailey J.S., Thomson J.E., Juven B.J.: Salmonella and other Enterobacteriaceae found in commercial poultry feed. Poult Sci 1983, 62, 2169-2175.
- 6. Dalcero A., Magnoli C., Luna M., Ancasi G., Reynoso M.M., Chiacchiera S., Miazzo R., Palacio G.: Mycoflora and naturally occurring mycotoxins in poultry feeds in Argentina. Mycopathology 1998, 141, 37-43.
- 7. Davis M.A., Hancock D.D., Rice D.H., Call D.R., DiGiacomo R., Samadpour M., Besser T.E.: Feedstuffs as a vehicle of cattle exposure to Escherichia coli 0157:H7 and Salmonella enterica. Vet Microbiol 2003, 95, 199-210.
- 8. Hinton M.H.: Infections and intoxications associated with animal feed and forage, which may present a hazard to human health. Vet J 2000, 159, 124-138.
- 9. Kukier E., Kwiatek K.: Microbiological quality of feed materials used in Poland. Bull Vet Inst Pulawy 2011, 55, 709-715.
- 10. Kwiatek K., Kukier E., Wasyl D., Hoszowski A.: Microbiological quality of feed materials in Poland. Medycyna Wet 2008, 64, 183-188.
- 11. Kwiatek K., Kukier E., Wasyl D., Hoszowski A.: Microbiological quality of compound feedstuffs in Poland. Medycyna Wet 2008, 64, 949-954.
- 12. PN-EN ISO 6579:2003 "Microbiology of food and animal feeding stuffs - Horizontal method for the detection of Salmonella sp."
- 13. PN-EN ISO 4833:2004 "Microbiology of food and animal feeding stuffs - Horizontal method for the enumeration of microorganisms - Colony-count technique at 30° C".
- 14. PN-ISO 7698:2004 "Cereals, pulses and derived products - Enumeration of bacteria, yeasts, and moulds".
- 15. PN-ISO 21528-2:2005 "Microbiology of food and feeding stuffs - Horizontal method for the detection and enumeration of Enterobacteriaceae - Part 2: colony-count method".
- 16. PN-ISO 21527-2:2009 "Microbiology of food and feeding stuffs - Horizontal method for the enumeration of yeasts and moulds - Part 2: Colony count technique in products with water activity less than or equal to 0.95".
- 17. PN-R-64791:1994 "Feeding stuffs - Requirements and microbiological examination".
- 18. Regulation (EC) No 183/2005 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 12 January 2005 laying down requirements for feed hygiene.
- 19. Twarużek M., Błajet-Kosicka A., Grajewski J.: Problem zanieczyszczeń mikologicznych surowców i pasz w świetle aktualnych badań. Pasze Przem 2012, No. 2, 86- 93.
- 20. Wojdat E., Kwiatek K., Zasadny R.: Microbiological quality of petfood m Poland, Pol J Vet Sci 2004, 7, 207- 209.
- 21. www.imgw.pl/images/stories/biuletyn_monitoringu/201 0/17_monitoring_rok_2010.pdf
- 22. www.ppr.pl/dzial-rynek-pasz-w-polsce-2363.