Climate change in the Arctic and it's gepolitical consequence - the analysis of the European Union perspective
Treść / Zawartość
The article presents and briefly analyses the issue of the European Union’s perspective on the problems of the climate change in the Arctic region and its geopolitical consequences. Offering an overview of the main documents in this area, the article concludes that the EU policy towards the Arctic is closely related with perceiving the climate change in polar regions not only in terms of new possibilities, but also as a source of new threats for the international environment.
- Airoldi A., 2008, The European Union and the Arctic, Policies and Actions, Nordic Council of Ministers, Copenhagen.
- Airoldi A., 2010, The European Union and the Arctic. Main developments: July 2008–July 2010, Nordic Council of Ministers, Copenhagen.
- Arctic Climate Impact Assessment (ACIA), 2005, Arctic Climate Impact Assessment, Cambridge, Cambridge University Press.
- Arctic Marine Shipping Assessment AMSA, 2009, Arctic Marine Shipping Assessment 2009 Report, Arctic Council, April 2009.
- Busby J. W., 2007, Climate Change and National Security. An Agenda for Action, Council on Foreign Relation, Council Special Report No. 32.
- Communication, 2008, The European Union and the Arctic Region, The European Commission.
- Conclusion, 2009, Council conclusions on Arctic issues, 2985th Foreign Affairs Council meeting, Brussels, 8 December 2009.
- Gautier D.L., Bird K.J., Charpentier R.R., Grantz A., Houseknecht D.W., Klett T.R., Moore T.E., Pitman J.K., Chenk Ch.J., Schuenemeyer J.H., Sřrensen K., Tennyson M.E., Valin Z.E., Wandrey C.J., 2009, Assessment of Undiscovered Oil and Gas in the Arctic, Science, 324, 1175–1179.
- Giddens A., 2009, The Politics of Climate Change, Cambridge, Polity Press. Heinämäki L., 2009, Rethinking the Status of Indigenous Peoples in International Environmental Decision-Making: Pondering the Role of Arctic Indigenous Peoples and the Challenge of Climate Change, [in:] Koivurova T., Caina E., Keskitalo H., Bankes N. (eds), Climate Governance in the Arctic, Springer, Berlin, 207–262.
- Joint Paper, 2008, Joint Paper by the Commission and the Secretary-General/High Representative concerning Climate change and international security to the European Council, Brussels, 3 March 2008.
- Łuszczuk M., 2010, EU Arctic Policy in status nascendi, Studia Europejskie, 3, 85–110.
- Resolution, 2008, European Parliament resolution of 9 October 2008 on Arctic governance.
- Resolution, 2011, European Parliament resolution of 20 January 2011 on a sustainable EU policy for the High North.