Heavy metals (Cd, Pb, Cu, Zn, Cr) in bottom sediments and the recultivation of Kielce Lake
Treść / Zawartość
Kielce Lake area is a water basin located in Kielce city zone. It determines usage of areas around the basin for recreational, housing, and industrial purposes. Additionally, a state road toward Łodź city located nearby is a source of transportation pollution and heavy metals. The basin is supplied by a watercourse that receives municipal wastewater from Masłow town near Kielce. The amount and diversity of organic and inorganic compounds getting into the basin influences heavy pollution of bay waters. To reduce the degree of reservoir pollution, a pulverizing aerator was installed in the middle of Kielce Lake in May 2008. The main goal of this work is to present the results of analyzing the bottom deposits of Kielce Lake for heavy metals (Cd, Pb, Cu, Zn, Cr) during the recultivation process. Sediment samples collected at a depth of 0-20 cm twice in July 2008 and 2009 from three points located in the littoral zone of the recultivation area and two points outside it. A high concentration of analytes in reservoir sediments was indicated on the basis of the results.
- 1. KLAPPER H. Technologies for lake restoration, Papers from Bolsena Conference. Residence time in lakes: Science, Management, Education, J. Limnol., 62, (1), 73, 2003.
- 2. GUPTA A.K., SHRIVASTVA N.G., SHRAMA A. Pollution Technologies for Conservation of Lakes, Sengupta M., Dalwani R. (Eds), Proceedings of Taal2007: The 12th World Lake Conference: 894-905, 2008.
- 3. ŁOPATA M., GAWROŃSKA H. Effectiveness of the polymictic Lake Głęboczek in Tuchola restoration by the phosphorus inactivation method, Pol. J. Nat. Sci., 21, (2) 859, 2006.
- 4. REITZEL K., HANSEN J., ANDERSEN F.O., HANSEN K.S., JENSEN H.S. Lake Restoration by Dosing Aluminum Relative to Mobile Phosphorus in the Sediment, Environ. Sci. Technol. 39, (22), 4234, 2005.
- 5. BRZOZOWSKA R., GAWROŃSKA H. Effect of the Applied Restoration Techniques on the Content of Organic Matter in the Sediment of Lake Długie, Limnological Review 6, 39, 2006.
- 6. BRZOZOWSKA R., GAWROŃSKA H. The influence of a long-term artificial aeration on the nitrogen compounds exchange between bottom sediments and water in Lake Długie, Oceanological and Hydrobiological Studies, International Journal of Oceanography and Hydrobiology, XXXVIII, (1), 113, 2009.
- 7. Alaska Department of Fish and Game, Sand Lake Restoration Project: Environmental Assessment, 333 Raspberry Road Anchorage, AK 99518, 2009.
- 8. WETZEL R.G. Limnology. 2nd ed. Saunders College Publishing, Fort Worth 1983.
- 9. GILBERT R. Spatially irregular sedimentation in a small, morphologically complex lake: implication for paleoenvironmental studies. J. Paleolimnol, 29, 209, 2003.
- 10. TERASMAA J. Seston Fluxes and Sedimentation Dynamics in Small Estonian Lakes, Tallinn University, Dissertations On Natural Sciences 11, Tallinn 2005.
- 11. RABAJCZYK A., JOŹWIAK M. Littoral zone flora versus quality of kielecki bay waters, Ecol. Chem. Eng. A, 15, (12), 1359, 2008.
- 12. The Water Impact Assessment for the Process of Recultivation of the Kielce City Lake by Means of Pulverising Aeration and Phosphorus Inactivation, Kielce,2008.
- 13. DIATTA J.B., CHUDZIŃSKA E., WIRTH S. Assessment of heavy metal contamination of soils impacted by a zinc smelter activity, J. Elementology, 13, (1), 5, 2008.
- 14. MULLER G. Index of geoaccumulation in sediments of the Rine River. Geojournal, 2, 108, 1969.
- 15. MULLER G. The heavy metal contamination of sediments of the Neckar River and its tributaries, Chemiker-Zeitung, 105, 157, 1981 [In German].
- 16. HAKANSON L. An ecological risk index for aquatic pollution control. A sedimentological approach. Water Research, 14, 975, 1980.
- 17. OLATUNJI A.S., ABIMBOLA A.F. Geochemical Evaluation of the Lagos Lagoon Sediments and Water, World Applied Sciences Journal 9, (2), 178, 2010.
- 18. ODEWANDE A.A., ABIMBOLA A.F. Contamination indices and heavy metal concentrations in urban soil of Ibadan Metropolis, Southwestern Nigeria, Environ. Geochem. and Health, 30, 243, 2008.
- 19. ABIMBOLA A.F., ASAAH V.A., SUH C.E. Heavy metal concentrations and distribution in surface soils of the Bassa Industrial zone 1, Douala, Cameroon. The Arabian J. for Sci. Engineering, 31, (2), 147, 2006