Comparative potential of different botanicals and synthetic insecticides and their economics against Leucinodes orbonalis in eggplant
Treść / Zawartość
The field experiment was conducted to evaluate the potential of two botanicals viz; ozoneem and neem seed kernel extract (NSKE) and three chemical insecticides viz; imidacloprid, alphamathrin, chlorpyriphos 50% EC + cypermethrin 5% EC against Leucinodes orbonalis, during the years from 2008 to 2009. Botanicals were tested alone and in combination with cultural practices. On the basis of the pooled means, the results revealed that three sprays of chlorpyriphos + cypermethrin @ 0.01% active substance (a.s.) in 15 days intervals was found to be the most economical, resulting in minimum shoot (2.15%) and fruit (12.95%) infestation respectively, followed by alphamathrin @ 0.01% a.s. with a highest marketable yield of 87.77 q/ha. Maximum marketable yield was received from the treatment with alphamathrin, but due to high costs involved in the use of this chemical, it took second place. Three sprays of NSKE @ 5 ml/lt. recorded a maximum of shoot (3.91%) and fruit (24.49%) infestation, respectively. However, shoot and fruit infestation was brought down and marketable yield increased to some extent, when these treatments were combined with cultural methods. It is therefore, suggested that the combination of chlorpyriphos 50% EC + cypermethrin 5% EC, being the most effective and economically viable insecticide, can be utilized as a valuable chemical component in Integrated Pest Management to manage the L. orbonalis in eggplant crop.
- Alam S. N., Rashid M. A., Rouf F. M. A., Jhala R. C., Patel J. R., Satpathy S., Shivalinaswamy T. M., Rai S., Wahundeniya I., Cork A., Ammaranan C., Talekar N. S. 2003. Development of an integrated pest management strategy for egg plant fruit and shoot borer in South Asia. Tech. Bull. AVRDC - The World Vegetable Center, Shanhua, Taiwan, p. 66.
- Ali M. I. 1994. Circumstantial evidence supports insect resistance in Bangladesh. Resistance Pest Manage. 6 (1), p. 15.
- Bhadauria N. K. S., Bhadauria N. S., Jakhmola S. S. 1999. Insect pests complex of eggplant, Solanum melongena L. in North West M. P. Adv. Plant Sci. 12 (2): 607-608.
- Butani D. K., Jotwani M. B. 1984. Insects in Vegetables. New Delhi. Periodical Expert Book Agency, 356 pp.
- Deshmukh R. M., Bhamare V. K. 2006. Field evaluation of some insecticides against eggplant shoot and fruit borer, Leucinodes orbonalis Guenee. Int. J. Agric. Sci. 2 (1): 247-249.
- Dhandapani N., Shelkar U. R., Murugan M. 2003. Bio-intensive pest management in major vegetable crops: an Indian perspective. J. Food Agric. 1 (2): 333-339.
- Duara B., Deka S. C., Baruah A. A. L. H., Barman N. 2003. Bioefficacy of synthetic pyrithroids against eggplant shoot and fruit borer, Leucinodes orbonalis Guen. Pestic. Res. J. 15 (2): 155-156.
- Haseeb M., Sharma D. K., Qamar M. 2009. Estimation of the losses caused by shoot and fruit borer, Leucinodes orbonalis Guen. (Lepidoptera : Pyralidae) in eggplant. Trends Biosci. 2 (1): 68-69.
- Islam M. N., Karim M. A. 1991. Management of the Eggplant shoot and fruit borer, L. orbonalis Guen. (Lepidoptra: Pyralidae) in field. p. 44-46. In: "Annual Research Report 1990-1991". Entomology Division, BARI, Joydebpur, Gazipur, Bangladesh.
- Islam M. N., Karim M. A., Mannan M. A., Choudhary J. C. S., Islam M. 1999. Integrated management of the eggplant shoot and fruit borer, Leucinodes orbonalis Guenee (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae), based on insecticide. Bangladesh J. Entomol. 9 (1-2): 75-85.
- Jat K. L., Pareek B. L. 2001. Field evaluation of eco-friendly insecticides against eggplant shoot and fruit borer, Leucinodes orbonalis Guen. Indian J. Plant Prot. 29 (1-2): 53-56.
- Kumar N. K., Kumari Krishna B., Singh S. H., Shivkumara B., Ranganath H. R., Kalleshwaraswamy C. M. 2006. Pheromone trapping protocols for eggplant fruit and shoot borer, L. orbonalis Guen.: evaluation of trap design, quantity and dispenser. J. Hort. Sci. 1 (1): 39-42.
- Miller S., Baltazar A. M., Rapusas H. R. 2003. Overview of the Southeast Asia Site in the Philippines. IPM CRSP Annual Highlights for Year 10 (2002-2003). Virginia Tech, Virginia, USA: 42-50.
- Murugesan N., Murugesh T. 2009. Bioefficacy of some plant products against eggplant fruit borer, L. orbonalis Guen. (Lepidoptera : Pyralidae). J. Biopesticides 2 (1): 111-118.
- Rahman M. S., Alam M. Z., Haq M., Sultan N., Islam K. S. 2002. Effect of some integrated pest management (IPM) packages against brinjal shoot and fruit borer and its consequence on yield. J. Biol. Sci. 2 (7): 489-491.
- Rahman M. M., Latif M. A., Yousuf M., Ali M. 2006. Judicious use of cypermethrin for the management of eggplant shoot and fruit borer, Leuciniodes orbonalis Guenee. Bangladesh J. Entomol. 16 (1): 45-56.
- Raja J., Rajendran B., Pappiah C. M. 1999. Management of eggplant shoot and fruit borer (Leucinodes orbonalis Guene.). Vegetable Sci. 26 (2): 167-169.
- Raju S. V. S., Bar U. K., Shanker U., Kumar S. 2007. Scenario of infestation and management of eggplant shoot and fruit borer, L. orbonalis Guen. in India. Resistant Pest Manage. Newslett. 16 (2): 14-16.
- R Development Core Team. 2008. R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. URL http://www.R-project.org
- Singh P. K. 2000. Effect of neem products on incidence of eggplant shoot and fruit borer Leucinodes orbonalis Guen. J. Appl. Zool. Res. 11 (1): 23-24.
- Singh Y. P., Singh P. P. 2003. Bioefficacy of insecticides in combination with carbofuran against eggplant shoot and fruit borer (Leucinodes orbonalis Guen.) at medium high altitude hills of Meghalaya. Indian J. Plant Protect. 31 (2): 38-41.
- Srinivasan R., Hung Chun-Chu. 2008. Effect of simulated borer infested shoot pruning on yield parameters of eggplants. J. Asia Pacific Entomol. 12 (1): 41-43.
Rekord w opracowaniu