Prosthetic status and prosthetic needs amongst geriatric fishermen population of Kutch coast, Gujarat, India
Treść / Zawartość
Background. Literature among fishermen of India is scanty. The external factors like diet, quality of dental hygiene and environmental factors have an effect on oral health. Moreover elderly age group offer very little importance towards their oral health. Objective. To assess the prosthetic status and prosthetic treatment needs among the geriatric fishermen population of Kutch coast, Gujarat, India. Material and Methods. A cross sectional descriptive study was conducted among 1200 elderly people (above 60 years) of Kutch coast, Gujarat, India. They were interviewed and examined using a proforma designed with the help of WHO Oral Health Survey 1997. Chi square test was used for comparisons. Confidence level and p-value were set at 95% and 5% respectively. Results. Out of 1200 elderly people, 836 were males and 364 were females. Considering the prosthetic status, majority (76.7%) had no prosthesis followed by full removable dentures (12.3%). An insight into the prosthetic needs showed that majority (27.3%) had a need for multiunit prosthesis. Conclusion. In this study, it was seen that overall prosthetic status was low and prosthetic need was high. Therefore new avenues have to be discovered to make the prosthetic treatment readily available to the elderly.
- Department of Prosthodontics, Pacific Dental College and Hospital, Debari, Airport Road, Udaipur, Rajasthan, India
- Department of Prosthodontics, Vishnu Dental College, Bhimavaram, India
- Department of Prosthodontics, ANIDS, Vishakapatnam, India
- Department of Prosthodontics, PDU Dental College, Solapur, India
- Department of Prosthodontics, Pacific Dental College and Hospital, Debari, Udaipur, India
- Department of Prosthodontics, KD Dental College and Hospital, Mathura, India
- 1. Bali R.K., Mathur V.B., Talwar P.P., Chanana H.B: National Oral Health Survey and Fluoride Mapping 2002- 2003, Rajasthan. Dental Council of India. Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (Government of India), 2004.
- 2. Carter G., Lee M., Mckelvey V., Sourial A., Halliwell R., Livingston M: Oral health status and oral treatment needs of dependent elderly people in Christchurch. N Z Med J 2004; 21;117(1194):U892.
- 3. Gluck G.M., Morganstein W.M: Jong’s Community Dental Health. 5th ed. Missouri, Mosby Publishers, 2003.
- 4. Goel P., Singh K., Kaur A., Verma M: Oral healthcare for elderly: Identifying the needs and feasible strategies for service provision. Indian J Dent Res 2006; 17(1):11-21.
- 5. Grabowski M., Bertram U: Oral health status and need of dental treatment in the elderly Danish population. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 1975; 3:108-114.
- 6. Henriksen B.M., Ambjornsen E., Lake K., Axell T: Prevalence of teeth and dentures among elderly in Norway receiving social care. Acta Odontol Scand 2003; 61: 184-191.
- 7. Makila E: Oral health among the inmates of old people’s homes VI. Need for treatment. Proc Finn Dent Soc 1979; 75:1-5.
- 8. Marcus P.A., Joshi A., Jones J.A., Morgano S.M: Complete edentulism and denture use for elders in New England. Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry 1996, 76:260-6.
- 9. Petersen P.E., Yamamoto T: Improving the oral health of older people: the approach of the WHO global oral health programme. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2005, 33(2):81-92.
- 10. Prasad K.V.V, Thanveer K., Javali S.B: Denture status and needs of prosthetic treatments in the elderly population of Dhadwad District, Karnataka state. Journal of Indian Dental Association 2001; 72.
- 11. Ranta K., Paunio I., Vehkalahti M: Prosthetic rehabilitation of 342 edentulous adult. Gerodontics 1985; 1:244-6.
- 12. Shah N: Challenges for geriatric oral health care in India. Developing Dentistry 2004; 5(2):20-27.
- 13. Shah N: Oral health care system for elderly in India. Geriatrics and Gerodontology International 2004;4: S162-S164.
- 14. Shah N., Prakash H., Sundram KR: Edentulousness, denture wear and denture needs of Indian elderly – a community based study. J Oral Rehab 2004; 31: 467-476.
- 15. Situation Analysis of the Elderly in India, June 2011, Central Statistics Office, Ministry of Statistics & Programme Implementation, Government of India.
- 16. Smith J.M., Sheiham A: Dental treatment needs and demands of an elderly population in England. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 1980; 8:360-364.
- 17. Unluer S., Gokalp S., Dogan B.G: Oral health status of the elderly in a residential home in Turkey. Gerodontology; 2007:24:22-29.
- 18. World Health Organization. Oral Health Surveys. Basic methods. 4th edition, WHO, Geneva 1997.