Use of rapid human respiratory syncytial virus strip tests for detection of bovine respiratory syncytial virus in experimentally vaccinated calves
Treść / Zawartość
Three different rapid strip tests: TRU RSV, BinaxNOW RSV and RSV Respi-strip were compared with RT-PCR and ELISA BRSV Ag for the ability to detect bovine respiratory syncytial virus (BRSV) in nasal swabs collected from calves experimentally vaccinated with live vaccine Rispoval RS-PI3. The reference strains of BRSV (375 and A51908) were detected by ELISA BRSV Ag whereas the strains of human respiratory syncytial virus (HRSV) and bovine parainfluenza virus type 3 (BPIV-3) were not. All rapid strip tests as well as RT-PCR reacted positively both to HRSV and BRSV reference strains and negatively to BPIV-3. The detection limit for RT-PCR was 39.1 TCID50 (strain 375 of BRSV), whereas for each of the rapid tests it was approximately 156 TCID50 and 312 TCID50 for antigen ELISA. Diagnostic sensitivity in detecting BRSV in nasal swabs for TRU RSV and RSV Respi-strip tests was 33% and 50% for BinaxNOW RSV. Diagnostic specificity of TRU RSV was 100%, whereas for both BinaxNOW and Respi-strip it was 87%. We concluded that TRU RSV could be used as a supportive rapid test for BRSV screening in nasal swabs taken directly on a farm. However, due to the small group of animals used in the experiment, the results should be regarded as preliminary and the study should be repeated on a larger number of animals.
- Bossert B, Conzelmann KK (2002) Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) nonstructural (NS) proteins as host range determinants: a chimeric bovine RSV with NS genes from human RSV is attenuated in interferon-competent bovine cells. J Virol 76: 4287-4293.
- Fogg MH, Parsons KR, Thomas LH, Taylor G (2001) Identification of CD4+ T cell epitopes on the fusion (F) and attachment (G) proteins of bovine respiratory syncytial virus (BRSV). Vaccine 19: 3226-3240.
- Gregson D, Lloyd T, Buchan S, Church D (2005) Comparison of the RSV respi-strip with direct fluorescent-antigen detection for diagnosis of respiratory syncytial virus infection in pediatric patients. J Clin Microbiol 43: 5782-5783.
- Larsen LE (2000) Bovine respiratory syncytial virus (BRSV): a review. Acta Vet Scand 41: 1-24.
- Miernyk K, Bulkow L, DeByle C, Chikoyak L, Hummel KB, Hennessy T, Singleton R (2011) Performance of a rapid antigen test (Binax NOWR RSV) for diagnosis of respiratory syncytial virus compared with real-time polymerase chain reaction in a pediatric population. J Clin Virol 50: 240-243.
- Osorio FA, Anderson GA, Sanders J, Grotelueschen D (1989) Detection of bovine respiratory syncytial virus using a heterologous antigen-capture enzyme immunoassay. J Vet Diagn Invest 1: 210-214.
- Popow-Kraupp T, Aberle JH (2011) Diagnosis of respiratory syncytial virus infection. Open Microbiol J 5: 128-134.
- Sánchez-Yebra W, Avila-Carrillo JA, Giménez-Sánchez F, Reyes-Bertos A, Sánchez-Forte M, Morales-Torres M, Rojas A, Mendoza J (2012) Viral agents causing lower respiratory tract infections in hospitalized children: evaluation of the Speed-OligoR RSV assay for the detection of respiratory syncytial virus. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 31: 243-250.
- Selvarangan R, Abel D, Hamilton M (2008) Comparison of BD Directigen EZ RSV and Binax NOW RSV tests for rapid detection of respiratory syncytial virus from nasopharyngeal aspirates in a pediatric population. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 62: 157-161.
- Socha W, Rola J (2011) Comparison of four RT-PCR assays for detection of bovine respiratory syncytial virus. Pol J Vet Sci 14: 449-451.
- Stine LC, Hoppe DK, Kelling CL (1997) Sequence conservation in the attachment glycoprotein and antigenic diversity among bovine respiratory syncytial virus isolates. Vet Microbiol 54: 201-221.
- Valarcher JF, Taylor G (2007) Bovine respiratory syncytial virus infection. Vet Res 38: 153-180.
- Vilcek S, Elvander M, Ballagi-Pordány A, Belák S (1994) Development of nested PCR assays for detection of bovine respiratory syncytial virus in clinical samples. J Clin Microbiol 32: 2225-2231.
- Wybo I, Piérard D, Stevens D, Soetens O and Lauwers S (2009) Evaluation of the performance of RSV Respi-Strip in comparison with cell culture and reverse transcriptase PCR. 119th ECCMID, Helsinki, Finland, 16-19 May 2009, P1910.
- Zulauf BJ (2007) Multiplex Real-Time PCR in the Detection and Differentiation of Bovine Respiratory Disease Pathogens. Scholars Archive at Oregon State University, pp. 1-59.
rekord w opracowaniu