Problems of the starting and operating of hydraulic components and systems in low ambient temperature. (Part V). Methods ensuring correct start-up of hydraulic components of ship’s onboard devices in low ambient temperatures
A large number of hydraulic devices and systems are started in low ambient temperatures. A good example of such a device is the hoisting winch on the ship. Starting hydraulic drive units in thermal shock conditions (rapid supply of hot oil to the cold unit) may lead to incorrect operation of the actuating system, for instance, due to the loss of clearance between cooperating elements. The article presents methods to prevent the disappearance of effective clearance in a hydraulic motor started in thermal shock conditions. For this reason, the structure of the hydraulic satellite motor was complemented by elements creating special channels through which hot oil could flow and additionally heat fixed parts of the motor. This solution ensures faster heating of motor housing, thus decreasing the temperature difference between the housing and the satellites during motor start-up in thermal shock conditions
- 1. Dymarski C.: An integrated hydraulic drive system of a novel device for launching lifeboats from large passenger ship. Polish Maritime Research. Vol. 19, 1/2012.
- 2. Dziewulski W.: Outline of machine hydraulics in shipbuilding industry (in Polish), Wydawnictwo Morskie, Gdansk 1985.
- 3. Jasiński R.: Influence of design of hydraulic motors on their operation in low ambient temperatures (in Polish). International Scientific-Technical Conference „Hydraulics and Pneumatics’2007”, Wroclaw, 2007.
- 4. Jasiński R.: Research and method for assessment of operation of hydraulic drive components started in low ambient temperature and supplied with hot working medium (in Polish). Report on execution of the research project financed by Polish Ministry of Science and Higher Education (in Polish), No. 4 T07C042 30, Gdansk 2010.
- 5. Jasiński R.: Operation of selected low-speed hydraulic motors in thermal shock conditions (in Polish). Ph.D. thesis, supervisor: A. Balawender. Gdansk 2002.
- 6. Jasiński R.: Influence of design of hydraulic components on their operation in low ambient temperatures. Key Engineering Materials, Fundamentals of Machine Design, Vol. 490, 2012.
- 7. Jasiński R.: Methodology of examination of low-speed hydraulic motors in thermal shock conditions (in Polish), IX Seminar on drives and control 2003, Gdansk, 2003.
- 8. Jasiński R.: Problems of the starting and operating of hydraulic components and systems in low ambient temperature (Part I). Polish Maritime Research, 4/2008.
- 9. Jasiński R.: Problems of the starting and operating of hydraulic components and systems in low ambient temperature (Part II). Determining the clearance between cooperating elements during the hydraulic components start-up in extremely low ambient temperatures on the grounds of experimental research. Polish Maritime Research, 1/2009.
- 10. Jasiński R.: Problems of the starting and operating of hydraulic components and systems in low ambient temperature (Part III). Methods of determining parameters for correct start-ups of hydraulic components and systems in low ambient temperatures. Polish Maritime Research, 4/2009.
- 11. Jasiński R.: System for heating a cold hydraulic satellite motor (in Polish). Patent no. 214740. Patent application no. P.393921 accepted by UP RP in 2011.
- 12. Jasiński R., Zelewski J.: Protection system for a hydraulic satellite motor started in thermal shock conditions (in Polish). Patent PL 224464. Patent application P393922 accepted by UP RP in 2011.
- 13. Landvogt B.; Osiecki L.; Patrosz P.; Zawistowski T.; Zylinski B.: Numerical simulation of fluid-structure interaction in the design process for a new axial hydraulic pump. Progress in Computational Fluid Dynamics. Vol. 14, No. 1, 2014. Doi: 10.1504/PCFD.2014.059198.
- 14. Pobedza J., Sobczyk A.: Properties of high pressure water hydraulic components with modern coatings. Advanced Materials Research. Trans Tech Publications Ltd, 849/2014. doi: 10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.849.100.
- 15. Smotrycki S.: Marine hydraulic drives (in Polish), Wydawnictwo Morskie, Gdansk, 1970.
- 16. Śliwiński P.: Influence of water and mineral oil on the leaks in satellite motor commutation unit clearances. Polish Maritime Research, vol. 24, 3(95) 2017. Doi: 10.1515/pomr-2017-0090.
- 17. Śliwiński P.: The influence of water and mineral oil on the mechanical losses in a hydraulic motor. Chinese Journal of Mechanical Engineering. Article accepted for publication.
- 18. Śliwiński P.: The influence of water and mineral oil on volumetric losses in a hydraulic motor. Polish Maritime Research, vol. 24, 2017. Doi: 10.1515/pomr-2017-0041.
- 19. Śliwiński P.: The basics of design and experimental tests of the commutation unit of a hydraulic satellite motor. A rchives of Civ i l a nd Mecha nica l Eng ineering, No 16/2016, DOI: 10.1016/j.acme.2016.04.003.
- 20. Śliwiński P.: The flow of liquid in flat gaps of satellite motors working mechanism. Polish Maritime Research, No 2/2014.
- 21. Śliwiński P.: New satellite pumps. Key Engineering Materials, No 490/2012.
- 22. Walczak P., Sobczyk A.: Simulation of water hydraulic control system of Francis turbine. American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2014. doi: dx.doi.org/10.1115/FPNI2014-7814.
- 23. Wiśniewski S., Wiśniewski T.: Heat transfer (in Polish). WNT, Warsaw 2000.
- 24. Zelewski J.: Modernisation project of a satellite motor without axial clearance compensation, resistant to thermal shock conditions, in application to hydraulic ship deck hoisting winch (in Polish). Diploma thesis, supervisor: R. Jasiński, Gdansk University of Technology, 2004.
- 25. Złoto T., Nagorka A.: An efficient FEM for pressure analysis of oil film in a piston pump. Applied Mathematics and Mechanics, vol.30, No 1/2009.
- 26. Environmental tests of ship equipment (in Polish). Polish Register of Shipping, Gdansk, 1975.
- 27. Polish Register of Shipping, “Publication 11P” (in Polish), 1994.
- 28. Polish Register of Shipping, “Rules for the Classification and Construction of Sea-going Ships” (in Polish), 2002.
- 29. Technical information documentation: Hydraulic motors SOK produced by ZUO Hydroster (in Polish).
- 30. PN–86/M-73079 “General conditions of use of unified hydraulics system” (in Polish).
- 31. Information on http://hydro-precyzja.pl.
- 32. Catalogues of companies: Bosch-Rexroth, Sauer-Danfoss, Parker