Evolution of hierarchical structure and spatial pattern of coastal cities in China - based on the data of distribution of marine-related enterprises
In this paper, a comprehensive research of the evolution of the hierarchical structure and spatial pattern of coastal cities in China was conducted based on the data of distribution of the headquarters and subsidiaries of marine-related enterprises in 1995, 2005 and 2015 using the city network research method proposed by Taylor. The results of the empirical research showed: China’s coastal city network had an obvious hierarchical characteristics of “national coastal cityregional coastal city-sub-regional coastal city-local coastal city”, in the 20 years of development process, the hierarchies of coastal cities in China showed a hierarchical progressive evolution; in past 20 years, the spatial pattern and network structure of coastal cities in China tended to be complete, and the city network was more uniform, forming a “three tiers and three urban agglomerations” network structure; the strength of connection among the cities was obviously strengthened, and the efficiency of urban spatial connection was improved overall
- 1. L.Wang, W. Xiao, 2016. Analysis of China’s Marine Industry Linkage and Sea-Land Industry Linkage Development Based on Input-Output Model. Economic Geography, 1, 113-119.
- 2. W.Xiao, B. Zhao, L.Wang, 2016. Marine Industrial Cluster Structure and its Coupling Relationship with Urban Development:A Case of Shandong Province. Polish Maritime Research,23, 115-122.
- 3. S.Démurger, J.D. Sachs, W.T. Woo, et al., 2002. Geography, economic policy, and regional development in China. Asian Economic Papers, 1,146-197.
- 4. S.Bao, G.H. Chang, J.D. Sachs, et al., 2002. Geographic factors and China’s regional development under market reforms, 1978–1998. China Economic Review, 13(1),89-111.
- 5. T. Kim, G. Knaap, 2001. The spatial dispersion of economic activities and development trends in China: 1952–1985. The Annals of Regional Science, 35(1), 39-57.
- 6. J. Zhang, D. Jiang, 2014. Study on differences of regional financing policy-from the perspective of national planning area in coastal area. Reform of Economic System, 5,48-52.
- 7. B. Zhao, W. Xiao, and R. Tong et al., 2015. Blue economic connotation in industrial network perspective and its correlation structure effect-A case study of Shandong Province. China Soft Science, 8, 135-147.
- 8. Y. Liu, M. Liu, 2011. Investment of preferential policies and regional development disparity in open economy. Word Economy Studies, 6, 3-9+87.
- 9. Q.Wei, A.Wang, J. Wang, 2014. The rise of China’s coastal areas: power of market. Economic research journal, 8,170-183.
- 10. Q.Wang, H.Chen, 2016. Ratio of marketization to labour income: based on the empirical evidence of China’s provincial panel data. China Soft Science, 9,156-167.
- 11. X. Jing, 2011. Comparison and evaluation of the use of FDI by Chinese open coastal cities. Social Sciences in Guangdong,3,27-33.
- 12. Z. Wang, S. Yang, 2011. Comparative research on mechanism of influence of FDI on the economic growth of three metropolis regions in China’s eastern coast. Comparative Economic & Social Systems, 6,112-119.
- 13. L. Zhao, Z. Zhao, 2014. Dynamical evolution of spatial differences in economy of China’s coastal areas. World Regional Studies, 1,45-54.
- 14. W. Qin, Y. Zhang, S. Li, 2014. Spatial-temporal evolution of development of tourism in China’s eastern coastal cities. Geographical Research, 10,1956-1965.
- 15. Z. Qin, P. Zhang, G. Wang, 2012. A study on the evolution and optimization of spatial structure of Liaoning Coastal Economic Zone. Economic Geography, 10, 36-41.
- 16. M. Yan, X. Ma, C. Lou, 2016. Comparative study of the division of labor and its complementarity in the coastal megalopolis of China. Economic Geography, 1,69-74+88.
- 17. Z. Qin, P. Zhang, 2011. Evolution of spatial structure of the coastal urban belt in Liaoning. Progress in Geography, 4,491-497.
- 18. F. Fan, C. Sun, 2010. Differences in the urbanization level and its change of location in the Bohai Sea Economic Circle. Urban Studies, 12,30-35.
- 19. R.Li, D.Wu, H.Yin et al., 2014. Comprehensive measuring and temporal-spatial characteristics of the development efficiency of urban tourism of the four major coastal urban agglomerations in eastern China since 2000. Geographical Research, 5,961-977.
- 20. J. Liu, J. Zhao, Y. Du, 2013. Study on the relationship between tourism development and regional economic growth in coastal cities-based on spatial dynamic panel data model. Inquiry Into Economic Issues, 7,172-180.
- 21. J. Bi, H. Jiang, 2016. Research on development of the urban tourism in Liaoning coastal economic zone under the “The Belt and Road” strategy background. Estate and Science Tribune, 1,30-31.
- 22. Y. Zhang, Z. Ren, 2012. Population change and its spatial distribution patterns of coastal cities based on GIS. Areal Research and Development, 4,152-156.
- 23. Y. Fu, Y. Chen, Z. Zhang, 2014. Temporal and spatial variation of population density of coastal cities during 1985-2010 in China. Tropical Geography, 5,635-642.
- 24. L.Ye, X. J. Duan, 2016. City network structure of the Yangtze River Delta region based on logistics enterprise network. Progress in Geography, 5,622-631.
- 25. P .J. Taylor, 2001. Specification of the world city network. Geographical analysis, 33(2), 181-194.
- 26. J. Yin, F. Zhen, C. Wang, 2011. China’s city network pattern: an empirical analysis based on financial enterprises layout. Economic Geography, 5,754 -759