Seed vigor, photosynthesis and early growth of saplings of different triploid Betula families
Treść / Zawartość
Breeding scientists have given extensive attention to triploids in trees because of their importance to forestry. Consequently, creating and breeding triploids of good quality has become one of purposes of tree breeding. We chose two autotetraploids (Betula platyphylla, named Q10 and Q65) as female parents and eight hybrid diploids (B. platyphylla × B. pendula, named F1 – F8) as male parents to obtain progenies through controllable pollination, resulting in triploid progenies. Germination rate and germination energy of triploid seeds of Q65 were significantly higher (P < 0.01) than in triploid seed s of Q10. Triploid families with Q65 as female parent had a large quantity of saplings, whereas triploid families with Q10 as female parent had a small quantity of saplings. Triploid families with Q65 as female parent were generally superior in base diameter and height to base diameter ratio when compared to a diploid family. Q65×F3 was preliminarily recognized as the superior family. These results demonstrate that the female parent has a major influence on triploid progenies, although the male parent also has a small influence. The results provided a reference to build seed orchards of triploid birch trees, choose tetraploids as female parents and forecast triploid families of good quality.
- Anamthawat-Jónsson K. 2003. Preparation of chromosomes from plant leaf meristerns for karyotype analysis and in situ hybridization. Methods in Cell Science 25: 91–95.
- Bierhuizen J.F., Slatyer R.O. 1965. Effect of atmospheric concentration of water vapor andCO 2 in determining transpiration-photosynthesis relationship of cotton leaves. Agricultural Meteorology 2: 259–270.
- Dwivedi N.K., Suryanarayana N., Sikdar A.K., Susheelamma B.N., Jolly M.S. 1989. Cytomorphological studies in triploid mulberry evolved by diploidization of female gamete cells. Cytologia 54: 13–19.
- Einspahr D.W. 1984. Production and utilization of triploidhybridaspen. Iowa State Journal of Research 58: 401–409.
- Einspahr D.W., Buijtenen J.P., Peckham J.R. 1963. Natural variation andheritability in triploidaspen. Silvae Genetica 12: 51–58.
- Eriksson G., Jonsson A. 1986. A review of the genetics of Betula. Scandinavian Journal of Forest Research 1: 421–434.
- Farooq M., Basra S.M.A., AhmadN., Hafeez K. 2005. Thermal hardening: a new seed vigor enhancement tool in rice. Journal of Integrative Plant Biology 47: 187–193.
- Johnsson H. 1956. Auto- andallotriploid Betula families derived from colchicine treatment. Zeitschrift fur Forstgenetik und Forstpfanzenziichtüng 5: 65–70.
- Johnsson H. 1942. Cytological studies of diploid and triploidprogenies of Populus tremula. Hereditas 28: 306–312.
- Johnsson H. 1950. On the C0 andC 1 generations in Alnus glusinosa. Hereditas 36: 205–219.
- Li T.F., Jiang J., Wang L., Zhu Z.B., Mu H.Z., Yang C.P., Liu G.F. 2009. Effects of prescription fertilization on the seedling growth of different families of Betula platyphylla. Scientia Silvae Sinicae 45: 60–64.
- Löve A. 1944. A new triploid Betula verrucosa. Svensk Botanisk Tidskrift 38: 381–393.
- Müntzing A. 1936. The chromosomes of a giant Populus tremula. Hereditas 21: 383–393.
- Nilsson-Ehle H. 1936. Über eine in der nature gefundene gigasform von Populus tremula. Hereditas 21: 379–382.
- Niwa Y., Sasaki Y. 2003. Plant self-defense mechanisms against oxidative injury and protection of the forest by planting trees of triploids and tetraploids. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety 55: 70–81.
- van Kooten O., Snel J.F.H. 1990. The use of chlorophyll fluorescence nomenclature in plant stress physiology. Photosynthesis Research 25: 147–150.
- Xing X.T., Zhang Z.Z. 2000. Genetic variation in woodd ensity of triploidclone s of Populus tomentosa. Journal of Beijing Forestry University 22: 16–20.
- Xing X.T., Zhang Z.Z., Zhang W.J. 2004. Genetic analysis of shrinkage of new triploidclones of Populus tomentosa. Scientia Silvae Sinicae 40: 137–141.
- Yu M.D., Jing C.J., Wu C.R., Lu C. 2004. Breeding of new artificial triploidmulberry variety Jialing 20. Science of Sericulture 30: 225–229.
- Zhang J.E., Guo W.W., Deng X.X. 2006. Relationship between ploidy variation of citrus calli and competence for somatic embryogenesis. Acta Genetica Sinica 33: 647–654.
- Zhang Z., Kang X.Y. 2010. Cytological characteristics of numerically unreduced pollen production in Populus tomentosa Carr.. Euphytica 173: 151–159.
- Zhang Z, Kang X.Y., Zhang P.D., Li Y.H., Wang J. 2007. Incidence and molecular markers of 2n pollen in Populus tomentosa Carr. Euphytica 154: 145–152.
- Zhu Z., Lin H.B., Kang X.Y. 1995. Studies on allotriploidbreed ing of Populus tomentosa B301 clones. Scientia Silvae Sinicae 31: 499–505.