Distribution of CD14plus macrophages, CD4plus , CD8plus lymphocytes and mRNA expression of inducible nitric oxide synthase in the endometrium of repeat breeding cows
Treść / Zawartość
The expression of CD14+ macrophages, CD4+, CD8+ lymphocytes and mRNA of inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) was investigated in the endometrium of repeat breeders with subclinical endometritis [experimental group (EXP), n = 10] and healthy [control group (CTRL), n = 10] cows. The cows were selected on the basis of repeat breeding (3 unsuccessful inseminations), clinical and cytological examinations (> 10% polymorphonuclear neutrophils in uterine smears obtained by cytobrush). From all the cows endometrial biopsies were collected and the presence of CD14+, CD4+ and CD8+ cells in the endometrium was evaluated immunohistochemically using semi quantitative counting method. The mRNA expression of iNOS was determined using reverse transcription-PCR. In general, there were no significant differences between EXP and CTRL groups in the expression of CD4+ and CD8 + lymphocytes in all endometrial structures. In contrast, we observed a higher number of CD14+ macrophages in repeat breeding group compared to the control cows, however, this difference was slightly pronounced. CD14+ cells were detectable only in the stratum compactum and stratum spongiosum. The statistically significant (p ≤ 0.05) higher expression of iNOS mRNA was measured in the cows with subclinical endometritis compared to the healthy animals. Our results suggest that the increased expression of CD14+ macrophages and iNOS mRNA may be associated with embryonal mortality in repeat breeding cows with subclinical endometritis.
- Alghamdi AS, Foster DN, Carlson CS, Troedsson MH (2005) Nitric oxide levels and nitric oxide synthase expression in uterine samples from mares susceptible and resistant to persistent breeding-induced endometritis. Am J Reprod Immunol 53: 230-237.
- Barański W, Podhalicz-Dzięgielewska M, Zduńczyk S, Janowski T (2012) The diagnosis and prevalence of subclinical endometritis in cows evaluated by different cytologic thresholds. Theriogenology 78: 1939-1947.
- Baines MG, Duclos AJ, Antecka E, Haddad EK (1997) Decidual infiltration and activation of macrophages leads to early embryo loss. Am J Reprod Immunol 37: 471-477.
- Bondurant RH (1999) Inflammation in the bovine female reproductive tract. J Anim Sci (Suppl 2), 77: 101-110.
- Bonnet BN, Miller RB, Etherington WG, Martin SW, Johnson WH (1991) Endometrial biopsy in Holstein-Friesian dairy cows. I. Technique, histological criteria and results. Can J Vet Res 55: 155-161.
- Cobb SP, Watson ED (1995) Immunohistochemical study of immune cells in the bovine endometrium at different stages of the oestrous cycle. Res Vet Sci 59: 238-241.
- Dechaud H, Maudelonde T, Daures JP, Rossi JF, Hedon B (1998) Evaluation of endometrial inflammation by quantification of macrophages, T lymphocytes, and interleukin-1 and -6 in human endometrium. J Assist Reprod Genet 15: 612-618.
- Dogan I, Sonmez G, Sagirkaya H (2002) Histopathological investigation of endometrium in repeat breeder cows. Indian J Anim Sci 72: 223-226.
- Ekerhovd E, Brannstrom M, Weijdegard B, Norstrom A (2000) Nitric oxide synthases in the human cervix at term pregnancy and effects of nitric oxide on cervical smooth muscle contractility. Am J Obstet Gynecol 183: 610-616.
- Gabler C, Drillich M, Fischer C, Holder C, Heuwieser W, Einspanier R (2009) Endometrial expression of selected transcripts involved in prostaglandin synthesis in cows with endometritis. Theriogenology 71: 993-1004.
- Ghasemi F, Gonzalez-Cano P, Griebel PJ, Palmer C (2012) Proinflammatory cytokine gene expression in endometrial cytobrush samples harvested from cows with and without subclinical endometritis. Theriogenology 78: 1538-1547.
- Gustafsson H, Emanuelson U (2002) Charakterisation of the repeat breeding syndrome in Swedish dairy cattle. Acta Vet Scand 43: 115-125.
- Haddad EK, Duclos AJ, Baines MG (1995) Early embryo loss is associated with local production of nitric oxide by decidual mononuclear cells. J Exp Med 182: 1143-1151.
- Haddad EK, Duclos AJ, Lapp WS, Baines MG (1997) Early embryo loss is associated with the prior expression of macrophage activation markers in the decidua. J Immunol 158: 4886-4892.
- Klentzeris LD, Bulmer JN, Warren MA, Morrison L, Li TC, Cooke ID (1994) Lymphoid tissue in the endometrium of women with unexplained infertility: morphometric and immunhistochemical aspects. Hum Reprod 9: 646-652.
- Krakowski L, Krawczyk CH, Wrona Z, Dąbrowski R, Jarosz Ł (2010) Levels of selected T lymphocyte subpopulations in peripheral blood of mares which experienced early embryonic death. Anim Reprod Sci 120: 71-77.
- Leung ST, Derecka K, Mann GE, Flint AP, Wathes DC (2000) Uterine lymphocyte distribution and interleukin expression during early pregnancy in cows. J Reprod Fertil 119: 25-33.
- Miyoshi M, Sawamukai Y, Iwanaga T (2002) Reduced phagocytotic activity of macrophages in the bovine retained placenta. Reprod Domest Anim 37: 53-56.
- Ogando DG, Paz D, Cella M, Franchi AM (2003) The fundamental role of increased production of nitric oxide in lipopolysaccharide-induced embryonic resorption in mice. Reproduction 125: 95-110.
- Oliveira LJ, Hansen PJ (2008) Deviations in populations of peripheral blood mononuclear cells and endometrial macrophages in the cow during pregnancy. Reproduction 136: 481-490.
- Salasel B, Mokhtari A, Taktaz T (2010) Prevalence, risk factors for and impact of subclinical endometritis in repeat breeder dairy cows. Theriogenology 74: 1271-1278.
- Schmidt-Adampoulou B (1978) Endometritis diagnosis in the cow, comparison of clinical with the patho-histological diagnosis of uterus biopsies. Dtsch Tierarztl Wochenschr 85: 474-477.
- Sheldon IM, Cronin J, Goetze L, Donorfio G, Schuberth HJ (2009) Defining postpartum uterine disease and the mechanisms of infection and immunity in the female reproductive tract in cattle. Biol Reprod 81: 1025-1032.
- Yusuf M, Nakao T, Ranasinghe RB, Gautam G, Long ST, Yoshida C, Koike K, Hayashi A (2010) Reproductive performance of repeat breeders in dairy herds. Theriogenology 73: 1220-1229.
- Zemjanis R (1980) “Repeat Breeding” or conception failure in cattle. In: Morrow DA (ed) Current Therapy in Theriogenology. WB Saunders, Philadelphia, pp 205-213.