Comparison of pathogenicity of Fusarium equiseti and Colletotrichum graminicola on Echinochloa spp.
Echinochloa spp. are the most important weeds in rice fields. In this research Fusarium equiseti and Colletotrichum graminicola were isolated from these weeds and then their pathogenicity effects were compared on these weeds and five rice cultivars in a completely random design with three replications in greenhouse conditions. Fungi were inoculated on weeds and rice cultivars using a spore suspension consisting of 106 spore·ml-1 of distilled water. Results indicated significant effect of F. equiseti and C. graminicola on Echinochloa oryzicola and E. crus-galli. Also, these rice cultivars showed significant reaction to F. equiseti and C. graminicola. The results showed that in comparison between effect of F. equiseti and C. graminicola on Echinochloa spp., disease rating caused by F. equiseti on E. oryzicola and E. crus-galli was more than disease rating caused by C. graminicola and these species of weeds were more susceptible to F. equiseti, but C. graminicola created less damage on rice cultivars and these rice cultivars were more tolerant to this fungus.
- Boari, A., Vurro, M. (2004). Evaluation of Fusarium spp. and other fungi as biological control agents of broomrape (Orobanche ramosa). Biol. Control., 30, 212–219.
- Charudattan, R. (2001). Biological control of weeds by means of plant pathogens significance for integrated weed management in modern agro-ecology. BioControl, 46(2), 229–260.
- Ghorbani, R., Seel, W., Litterick A., Leifert, C. (2000). Evaluation of Alternaria alternata for biological control of Amaranthus retroflexus. Weed Sci., 48(9), 474–480.
- Hershkovitz, M.S., Larroch, C., Al-Ahmad, H., Amsellem, Z. (2007). Enhancing mycoherbicide activity. Novel and Sustainable Weed Management in Arid and SemiArid-Ecosystems, Rehovot, p. 25.
- Huang, S.W., Watson, A.K., Duan, G.F., Yu, L.Q. (2001). Preliminary evaluation of potential pathogenic fungi as bioherbicides of barnyardgrass (Echinochloa crus-galli) in China. Int. Rice Res. Notes, 26(2), 35–36.
- Hurrell, G.A., Bourdot, G.W., Barton, J. (2005). Do Chondrostereum purpureum and Fusarium tumidum have
- potential as mycoherbicides for gorse? Joint Workshop, International Bioherbicide Group and EWRS – Biocontrol Working Group, Bari. Javan Nikkhah, M., Hedjaroud, Gh., Sharifi, A.,
- Elahinia, A. (2001). Study of the tolerance of some rice cultivars and lines of the stem rot disease in Guilan province. J. Sci. Tech. Agric. Nat. Res., 4, 189–195.
- Rahimian, H., Banayan, M. (2009). Biological control of weeds. Ferdowsi University Press, 116 pp. Rezvani, A., Izadyar M., Faghih, A. (2002). A guide of pests, diseases and rice weeds. The ministry of agricultural crusade publication. J. Org. Agric. Res. Train., 5, 1–5.
- Safari Motlagh, M.R. (2010). Isolation and characterization of some important fungi from Echinochloa spp. the potential agents to control rice weeds. Austral. J. Crop Sci., 4(6), 457–460.
- Safari Motlagh, M.R. (2015). Comparison of pathogenicity of Alternaria pellucida and Curvularia lunata on weed Echinochloa species. J. Env. Biol., 36(1), 963–967.
- Safari Motlagh, M.R., Javadzadeh, A. (2011a). Evaluation of Colletotrichum graminicola as an eventual bioherbicide for biocontrolling Alisma plantago-aquatica in paddy fields. Life Sci. J., 8(1), 384–389.
- Safari Motlagh, M.R., Javadzadeh, A. (2011b). Evaluation of the reaction of major weeds and some rice cultivars to Colletotrichum graminicola. J. American Sci., 7(2), 179–185.
- Safari Motlagh, M.R., Padasht Dehkaee, F., Hedjaroud, G.A. (2005). Rice brown spot disease and evaluation of the response of some rice cultivars to it. J. Sci. Tech. Agri. Nat. Res., 9(2), 171–182.
- Safari Motlagh, M.R., Sharifi, P. (2011). Evaluation of the reaction of Sagitaria trifolia and some rice cultivars to Fusarium equiseti. Australian J. Crop Sci., 5(4), 453–457.
- Talebi, R., Rahimiyan, H., Nematzadeh, Gh., Momeni, A. (2004). Genetic evaluation of the resistance of different rice cultivars to blast using microsatellite markers. J. Agri. Sci. Na. Res. Khazar Agr., 4, 28–43.
- Watson, A.K., Winder, R.C. (1993). Composition for biocontrol of fireweed. The Royal Institution for the Advancement of Learning, McGill University, Quebec, CA, United States Patent 544659.
- Xing, Y., Zhang, Q. (2010). Genetic and molecular bases of rice yield. Annu. Rev. Plant Biol. 61,
- Yang, Y.K., Kim, S.O., Chung, H.S., Lee, Y.H. (2000). Use of Colletotrichum graminicola KA001 to control barnyard grass. Plant Dis., 84(1), 55–59.
- Zhang, W.M., Mood, K., Watson, A.K. (1996). Responses of Echinochloa species and rice (Oryza sativa) to indigenous pathogenic fungi. Plant Dis., 80(9), 1053–1058.