The effect of haloperidol on maternal behavior in WAG/Rij rats and its consequences in the offspring
Treść / Zawartość
Haloperidol treatment during pre- and post-natal period affects maternal behavior and this may have long-term effects on the offspring. We examined whether early haloperidol administration to Wistar-Albino-Glaxo dams from Rijswijk (WAG/Rij) and in Wistar control rats would affect maternal care and as a consequence, seizure susceptibility and behavior in the WAG/ Rij's offspring at 3-4 months of age. Nursing dams of this well-validated genetic animal model of absence epilepsy and control dams were injected with haloperidol or saline at PPD 1 to 6. Maternal behavior was evaluated at PPD 7 to 9. Haloperidol-injected WAG/Rij dams showed more pup carryings compared with saline-injected mothers, this effect was not noticed in control Wistar dams. The offspring of haloperidol-treated WAG/Rij dams, tested during adulthood, showed heightened behavioral activity (time spent into the open arms, head dips) in the elevated plus-maze, as well as shorter spike- wave discharges (SWD) as measured in their electroencephalographs activity compared with saline-treated rats. Overall, it can be concluded that deviancies in the DA system as induced by haloperidol facilitates pup carrying/retrieval behavior in WAG/Rij rats and reduces seizure activity of the offspring in adulthood. Therefore, inter-individual differences in seizure properties and behavior in genetically predisposed animals may be due to differences in maternal behavior of the dams.
- Laboratory of Neurophysiology of Learning, Institute for Higher Nervous Activity and Neurophysiology, Russian Academy of Science, Moscow, Russian Federation
- Department of Human and Animal Physiology, Biological Faculty, Moscow State University, Moscow, Russian Federation
- Donders Centre for Cognition, Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behavior, Radboud University Nijmegen, Nijmegen, the Netherlands
- Ahlenius S, Engel J, Hard E, Larsson K, Lundborg P, Sinnerstedt P (1977) Open field behavior and gross motor development in offspring of nursing rat mothers given penfluridol. Pharm Biochem Behav 6: 343-347.
- Birioukova LM, Midzyanovskaya IS, Lensu S, Tuomisto L, van Luijtelaar G (2005) Distribution of D1-like and D2-like dopamine receptors in the brain of genetic epileptic WAG/Rij rats. Epilepsy Res 63: 89-96.
- Bond TL, Drage M, Heinrichs SC (2003) Seizure-prone EL mice exhibit deficits in pup nursing and retrieval assessed using a novel method of maternal behavior phenotyping. Epilepsy Behav 4: 57-64.
- Braw Y, Malkesman O, Merenlender A, Dagan M, Bercovich A, Lavi-Avnon Y, Weller A (2009) Divergent maternal behavioral patterns in two genetic animal models of depression. Physiol Behav 96: 209-217.
- Byrnes EM, Rigero BA, Bridges RS (2002) Dopamine antagonists during parturition disrupt maternal care and the retention of maternal behavior in rats. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 73: 869-875.
- Cameron NM, Champagne FA, Parent C, Fish EW, Ozaki- Kuroda K, Meaney MJ (2005) The programming of individual differences in defensive responses and reproductive strategies in the rat through variations in maternal care. Neurosci Biobehav Rev 29: 843-865.
- Champagne FA, Chretien P, Stevenson CW, Zhang TY, Gratton A, Meaney MJ (2004) Variations in nucleus accumbens dopamine associated with individual differences in maternal behavior in the rat. J Neurosci 24: 4113-4123.
- de Bruin NM, van Luijtelaar EL, Cools AR, Ellenbroek BA (2001) Dopamine characteristics in rat genotypes with distinct susceptibility to epileptic activity: apomorphine-in- duced stereotyped gnawing and novelty/amphetamine-induced locomotor stimulation. Behav Pharmacol 12: 517525.
- Depaulis A, van Luijtelaar G (2006) Genetic models of absence epilepsy in the rat. In: Models of Seizures and Epilepsy (Pitkanen A, Schwartzkroin, P, Moshe N, Eds). Elsevier, Amsterdam , NL p. 233-248.
- Dobryakova YV, Belyaeva YA, Stovolosov IS, Dubynin VA, Kamenskii AA (2006) Activation of maternal behavior of albino rats after combined treatment with dopamine and opioid receptor antagonists in low doses. Bull Exp Biol Med 142: 161-164.
- Dobryakova YV, Dubynin VA, van Luijtelaar G (2008) Maternal behavior in a genetic animal model of absence epilepsy. Acta Neurobiol Exp (Wars) 68: 502-508.
- Fleming AS, Suh EJ, Korsmit M, Rusak B (1994) Activation of Fos-like immunoreactivity in the medial preoptic area and limbic structures by maternal and social interactions in rats. Behav Neurosci 108: 724-734.
- Gentile S (2004) Clinical utilization of atypical antipsychot- ics in pregnancy and lactation. Ann Pharmacother 38: 1265-1271.
- Hansen S, Harthon C, Wallin E, Lofberg L, Svensson K (1991) The effects of 6-OHDA-induced dopamine depletions in the ventral or dorsal striatum on maternal and sexual behavior in the female rat. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 39: 71-77.
- Hansen S, Bergvall AH, Nyiredi S (1993) Interaction with pups enhances dopamine release in the ventral striatum of maternal rats: a microdialysis study. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 45: 673-676.
- Hansen S (1994) Maternal behavior of female rats with 6-OHDA lesions in the ventral striatum: characterization of the pup retrieval deficit. Physiol Behav 55: 615-620.
- Hashimoto H, Saito TR, Furudate S, Takahashi KW (2001) Prolactin levels and maternal behavior induced by ultrasonic vocalizations of the rat pup. Exp Anim 50: 307312.
- Jardemark KE, Liang X, Arvanov V, Wang RY (2000) Subchronic treatment with either clozapine, olanzapine or haloperidol produces a hyposensitive response of the rat cortical cells to N-methyl-D-aspartate. Neuroscience 100: 1-9.
- Kapur S, Mamo D (2003) Half a century of antipsychotics and still a central role for dopamine D2 receptors. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 27: 1081-1090.
- Kuznetsova GD, Petrova EV, Coenen AM, van Luijtelaar EL (1996) Generalized absence epilepsy and catalepsy in rats. Physiol Behav 60: 1165-1169.
- Lee A, Li M, Watchus J, Fleming AS (1999) Neuroanatomical basis of maternal memory in postpartum rats: selective role for the nucleus accumbens. Behav Neuroscience 113: 523-538.
- Li M, Budin R, Fleming AS, Kapur S (2005a) Effects of chronic typical and atypical antipsychotic drug treatment on maternal behavior in rats. Schizophr Res 75: 325-336.
- Li M, Budin R, Fleming AS, Kapur S (2005b) Effects of novel antipsychotics, amisulpiride and aripiprazole, on maternal behavior in rats. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 81: 600-610.
- Li M, Davidson P, Budin R, Kapur S, Fleming AS (2004) Effects of typical and atypical antipsychotic drugs on maternal behavior in postpartum female rats. Schizophr Res 70: 69-80.
- Lonstein JS, Fleming AS (2002) Parental behaviors in rats and mice. Curr Protoc Neuroscience 8: Unit 8.15.
- Lundborg P, Roos BE (1974) Increased concentration of homovanillic acid in the brains of infant rabbits after administration of haloperidol to their nursing mothers. J Pharm Pharmacol 26: 816-818.
- Mattson BJ, Williams S, Rosenblatt JS, Morrell JI (2001) Comparison of two positive reinforcing stimuli: pups and cocaine throughout the postpartum period. Behav Neurosci 115: 683-694.
- Missale C, Nash SR, Robinson SW, Jaber M, Caron MG (1998) Dopamine receptors: from structure to function. Physiol Rev 78: 189-225.
- Paxinos G, Watson C (1998) The Rat Brain in Stereotaxic Coordinate. Academic Press, New York, NY.
- Pereira M, Ferreira A (2006) Demanding pups improve maternal behavioral impairments in sensitized and halo- peridol-treated lactating female rats. Behav Brain Res 175: 139-148.
- Pereira M, Morrell JI (2009) The changing role of the medial preoptic area in the regulation of maternal behavior across the postpartum period: facilitation followed by inhibition. Behav Brain Res 205: 238-248.
- Roman E, Gustafsson L, Berg M, Nylander I (2006) Behavioral profiles and stress-induced corticosteroid secretion in male Wistar rats subjected to short and prolonged periods of maternal separation. Horm Behav 50: 736-747.
- Rosenblatt JS (1969) The development of maternal responsiveness in the rat. Am J Orthopsychiatry 39: 36-56.
- Sarkisova K, van Luijtelaar G (2011) The WAG/Rij strain: A genetic animal model of absence epilepsy with comorbid- ity of depressiony. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 35: 854-876.
- Scalzo FM, Ali SF, Holson RR (1989) Behavioral effects of prenatal haloperidol exposure. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 34: 727-731.
- Scalzo FM, Spear LP (1985) Chronic haloperidol during development attenuates dopamine autoreceptor function in striatal and mesolimbic brain regions of young and older adult rats. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 85: 271-276.
- Schridde U, Strauss U, Brauer AU, van Luijtelaar G (2006) Environmental manipulations early in development alter seizure activity, Ih and HCN1 protein expression later in life. Eur J Neurosci 23: 3346-3358.
- Schridde U, van Luijtelaar G (2004) The influence of strain and housing on two types of spike-wave discharges in rats. Gen Brain Behav 3: 1-7.
- Silva MR, Bernardi MM, Felicio LF (2001) Effects of dopamine receptor antagonists on ongoing maternal behavior in rats. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 68: 461468.
- Skirboll LR, Grace AA, Bunney BS (1979) Dopamine auto- and postsynaptic receptors: electrophysiological evidence for differential sensitivity to dopamine agonists. Science 206: 80-82.
- Spear LP, Shalaby IA, Brick J (1980) Chronic administration of haloperidol during development: behavioral and psy- chopharmacological effects. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 70: 47-58.
- Stern JM, Keer SE (1999) Maternal motivation of lactating rats is disrupted by low dosages of haloperidol. Behav Brain Res 99: 231-239.
- Tupala E, Haapalinna A, Viitamaa T, Mannisto PT, Saano V (1999) Effects of repeated low dose administration and withdrawal of haloperidol on sexual behaviour of male rats. Pharmacol Toxicol 84: 292-295.
- Uriarte N, Breigeiron MK, Benetti F, Rosa XF, Lucion AB (2007) Effects of maternal care on the development, emotionality, and reproductive functions in male and female rats. Dev Psychobiol 49: 451-462.
- van Luijtelaar EL, Coenen AM (1986) Electrophysiological evaluation of three paradoxical sleep deprivation techniques in rats. Physiol Behav 36: 603-609.
- van Luijtelaar G, Sitnikova E (2006) Global and focal aspects of absence epilepsy: the contribution of genetic models. Neurosci Biobehav Rev 30: 983-1003.
- Zhao C, Li M (2009) Sedation and disruption of maternal motivation underlie the disruptive effects of antipsychotic treatment on rat maternal behavior. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 92: 147-156.
Rekord w opracowaniu