Medicinal based plants: a call to nature
Treść / Zawartość
- Forestry Research Institute of Nigeria, PMB 5054, Jericho Hills, Ibadan, Oyo State, Nigeria
- Forestry Research Institute of Nigeria, PMB 5054, Jericho Hills, Ibadan, Oyo State, Nigeria
- Moist Forest Research Station, Benin City, Edo State, Nigeria
- Federal College of Forestry, PMB 5087, Ibadan, Oyo State, Nigeria
-  Sandberg F, Corrigan D. Natural Remedies. Their Origins and Uses. Abingdon: Taylor & Francis; 2001.
-  H. Raina, G. Soni, N. Jauhari, N. Sharma and N. Bharadvaja, Phytochemical importance of medicinal plants as potential sources of anticancer agents. Turkish Journal of Botany Vol. 38, pp. 1027-1035, 2014.
-  D.S. Fabricant, and N.R. Farnsworth. The value of plants used in traditional medicine for drug discovery. Environmental Health Perspective. Vol. 109, pp. 69-75. 2001
-  N.D. Taylor Leslie. Plant Based Drugs and Medicines, Rain Tree Nutrition, 2000.
-  R. Singh. Medicinal plants: A review. Journal of Plant Sciences. Vol. 3, issue 1, pp. 50-55, 2015
-  R. Maurya, G. Singh, P.P. Yadav. Antiosteoporotic agents from Natural sources. In: Atta-ur-Rahman (Ed.). Studies in Natural Products Chemistry. Vol. 35, pp. 517-545. 2008
-  A. Chopra, V. Doiphode. Ayurvedic medicine: Core concept, therapeutic principles and current relevance. Medical Clinics of North America. Vol. 86, pp. 75-89, 2002
-  World Health Organization Media Centre, Traditional Medicine, 2008. WHO, Fact sheet No134, http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/2003/fs134/en/
-  A.A Abdullahi. Trends and challenges of traditional medicine in Africa. Journal of Traditional. Complementary and Alternative Medicine. Vol. 8, pp. 115-123, 2011
-  WHO (World Health Organization). General Guidelines for Methodologies on Research and Evaluation of Traditional Medicine; World Health Organization: Geneva, Switzerland, 2000.
-  A. Gurib-Fakim. Medicinal plants: traditions of yesterday and drugs of tomorrow. Molecular Aspects of Medicine, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 1-93, 2006
-  A. Chintamunnee and M.F. Mahomoodally. Herbal medicine commonly used against infectious diseases in the tropical island of Mauritius. Journal of Herbal Medicine, vol. 2, pp. 113–125, 2012
-  M. Heinrich and H.L Teoh. Galanthamine from snowdrop-the development of a modern drug against Alzheimer's disease from local Caucasian knowledge. Journal of. Ethnopharmacology. Vol. 92, pp. 147-162, 2004
-  A.K Shakya, N. Sharma, M. Saxena, S. Shrivastava, S. Shukla. Evaluation of the antioxidant and hepatoprotective effect of Majoon-e-Dabeed-ul-ward against carbon tetrachloride induced liver injury. Experimental Toxicology and Pathology. Vol. 64, issue 7-8, pp. 767-73, 2012.
-  Modak M, Dixit P, Londhe J, Ghaskadbi S, Paul T, Devasagayam A. Indian Herbs and Herbal Drugs Used for the Treatment of Diabetes. Journal of Clinical Biochemistry & Nutrition Vol. 40, issue 3, pp. 163-173, 2007
-  A.K Shakya, and S. Shukla. Evaluation of hepatoprotective efficacy of Majoon-e-Dabeed-ul-ward against acetaminophen induced liver damage: A Unani herbal formulation. Drug development Research. Vol. 72, issue 4, pp. 346-352, 2011
-  M.A Tantry. (2009) Plant natural products and drugs: a comprehensive study. Asian Journal of Traditional Medicines Vol. 4, issue 6, pp. 241-249, 2009
-  Y.E Joo. Natural product-derived drugs for the treatment of inflammatory bowel diseases. Intestinal. Research. Vol. 12, pp. 103-109, 2014
-  G.R. Hamilton, and T.F. Baskett. In the arms of Morpheus the development of morphine for postoperative pain relief. Canadian. Journal of Anaesthesia. Vol. 47, pp. 367-374, 2000
-  D.J Newman, G.M. Cragg, K.M. Snader. Natural Products as Sources of New Drugs over the Period 1981–2002. Journal of Natural Product. Vol. 66, pp. 1022-1037, 2003
-  L.T. Ngo, J.I. Okogun, W.R. Folk. 21st Century natural product research and drug development and traditional medicines. Natural Product Report Vol. 30, pp. 584-592, 2013
-  F. Zhu, X.H Ma, C. Qin, L. Tao, X. Liu, Z. Shi, C.L. Zhang, C.Y. Tan, Y.Z. Chen, Y.Y. Jiang. Drug discovery prospect from untapped species: Indications from approved natural product drugs. Plos One, 7,e39782. 2012.
-  U. Galm, B. Shen, Natural product drug discovery: The times have never been better. Chemistry & Biology. Vol. 14, pp. 1098-1104, 2007.
-  K.K Bhutani, and V.M. Gohil, Natural Products Drug Discovery Research in India: Status and Appraisal. Indian Journal of Experimental Biology Vol. 48: pp. 199-207, 2010
-  S.X. Zhao, W.C Ye, J.H. Gu, J.H. Liu, X.Q. Zhang, Z.Q. Yin, H. Wang, L.H. Zhang, Y.Z. Guo, J.X. Feng, Medicinal plant resources in Lingnan area and emergency medicine in Ge Hong zhou hou bei ji fang. Asian Pacific journal of Traditional Medicine. Vol. 8, pp. 11–12, 2012
-  Y. Li, Qinghaosu (artemisinin): Chemistry and pharmacology. Acta Pharmacologica. Sinica Vol. 33, pp. 1141-1146, 2012
-  Y.L Wu. Artemisinin – the revelation of the history and reality. Chemical Progress. Vol. 21, pp. 2365-2371, 2009
-  D.J Newman, and G.M Cragg. (2005) In Drug Discovery, Therapeutics, and Preventive Medicine; Zhang, L., Fleming, A., Demain, A. L., Eds.; Humana Press: Totowa, NJ, USA; p. 74.
-  Carroll, A. R., Arumugan, G., Quinn, R. J., Redburn, J., Guymer, G. and Grimshaw, P. (2005). Grandisine A and B, novel indolizidine alkaloids with -opioid receptor binding affinity from the leaves of the human Australian rainforest tree Elaeocarpus grandis. Journal of Organic Chemistry 70: 1889-1892
-  Howes, M. J. R., Perry, N. S. L., Houghton, P. J. (2003). Plants with traditional uses and activities, relevant to the management of Alzheimer's disease and other cognitive disorders. Phytotherapy Research. 17: 1-18
-  Heinrich, M., Teoh, H. L. Galanthamine from snowdrop-the development of a modern drug against Alzheimer's disease from local Caucasian knowledge. Journal of. Ethnopharmacology. Vol. 92, pp. 147-162. 2004.
-  D. Deleu, Y. Hanssens, and M.G. Northway, M. G. Subcutaneous apomorphine: An evidence based review of its use in Parkinson's disease. Drugs Aging Vol. 2, pp. 687-709, 2004
-  P.M Dewick. Medicinal Natural Products: A Biosynthentic Approach, 2nd ed.; John Wiley and Son: West Sussex, UK, pp. 520.2002
-  M. Hamburger, K. Hostettmann, Bioactivity in plants: the link between phytochemistry and medicine. Phytochemistry Vol. 30, issue 12, pp. 3864-74, 1991
-  K.C Nicolaou, Z. Yang, J.J Liu, H. Ueno, P.G. Nantermet, R.K. Guy, C.F. Claiborne, J. Renaud, E.A. Couladouros, K. Paulvannan, and E.J Sorensen. Total synthesis of taxol. Nature Vol. 367: 630–634, 1994
-  N. Kedei, D.J Lundberg, A. Toth, P. Welburn. Garfield, S. H., Blumberg, P.M. Characterization of the interaction of ingenol 3-angelate with protein kinase C. Cancer Research. Vol. 64 pp. 3243-3255, 2004
-  S.M Ogbourne, A. Suhrbier, B. Jones. Antitumour activity of ingenol 3-angelate: Plasma membrane and mitochondrial disruption and necrotic cell death. Cancer Research. Vol. 64, pp. 2833-2839, 2004
-  Kiviharju, T. M., Lecane, P. S., Sellers, R. G., Peehl, D. M. (2002). Antiproliferative and proapoptic of triptolide (PG490), a natural product entering clinical trials, on primary cultures of human prostatic epithelial cells. Clinical Cancer of Research. 8: 2666-2674
-  J.M Fidler, K. Li, and C. Chung. PG490- 88, a derivative of triptolide, casues tumor regression and sensitizes tumors to chemotherapy. Molecular Cancer Therapeutics. Vol. 2, pp. 855-862, 2003
-  D.J Newman, and G.M. Cragg. In Drug Discovery, Therapeutics, and Preventive Medicine; Zhang, L., Fleming, A., Demain, A. L., Eds.; Humana Press: Totowa, NJ, USA, p. 74. 2005
-  S.E Holwell, P.A Cooper, J.W. Grosios, J.W. Lippert, G.R Pettit, S.D. Snyder, M.C. Bibby, Combretastatin A-1 phosphate, a novel tubulin-binding agent with in-vivo antivascular effects in experimental tumors. Anticancer Research. Vol. 22, pp. 707-712, 2002
-  M. Lahlou, The Success of Natural Products in Drug Discovery. Pharmacology & Pharmacy Vol. 4, pp. 17-31, 2013
-  Nisar Ahmad, Hina Fazal, Bilal Haider Abbasi, Shahid Farooq, Mohammad Ali, Mubarak Ali Khan. Biological role of Piper nigrum L. (Black pepper): A review. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine. S1945-S1953, 2012
-  Y. Kodera, M. Hiromichi, Y. Susumu, S. Toshihiko, I. Yoichi, F. Toru, N. Hoyoku. Allixin, a stress compound from garlic. Chemical & Pharmaceutical Bulletin. Vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 1656-1658, 1989
-  W.T. Ju, O.C. Kwon, H.B. Kim, G.B. Kim, G.B. Sung, H.W. Kim, Y.S. Kim. Qualitative and quantitative analysis of flavonoids from 12 species of Korean mulberry leaves. Journal of food science and Technology. Vol. 55, issue. 5, pp 1789-1796, 2018
-  P. Op de Beck, B. David, G. Cartier, M.G. Dijoux-Franca. Antioxidant flavonoids and phenolics acids from leaves of Leea guineensis G.Don (Leeacea). Phytotherapy research. Vol. 17, issue 4, pp 345-347, 2003
-  M.A. Abdalla, and H. Laatsch. Flavonoids from Sudanese Albizia zygia (Leguminosae, Subfamily Mimosoideae). A plant with Antimalaria potency. African journal of traditional complementary and alternative medicine Vol. 9, issue. 1, pp. 56-58. 2012.
-  J.Y. Lin, L.L. Lei, T.C. Tung. Purification of abrin from Abrus precatorius L. Leguminosae. Taiwan Yi Xue Hui Za Zhi. Vol. 68, pp. 518-521. 1969
-  N.G. Dedehou, A.D Adenile, P.A. Olounlade, and A. Georcelin. A review on medicinal plants of Parkia biglobosa (Mimosaceae-Fabaceae) and Pterocarpus Erinaceus (Leguminosae-Papilionoidea). Journal of Medicinal Plant Studies. Vol. 4, issue 6, pp. 132-137, 2016
-  H.A Ahmed. Therapeutic Potential of Cnestis ferruginea: A Review. Journal of Pharmacognosy and phytochemistry. Vol. 6, issue. 6, pp. 1397-1401, 2017
-  R. Hamidpour, S. Hamidpour, M. Hamidpour, M. Sohraby. and R. Hamidpour. (2015). Turmeric (Curcuma longa): From a Variety of Traditional Medicinal Applications to its Novel Roles as Active Antioxidant, Anti-Inflammatory, Anti-Cancer and Anti-Diabetes. International Journal of Pharmacology, Phytochemistry and Ethnomedicine, Vol. 1, pp. 37-45, 2015
-  S. Mahata, S. Maru, S. Shukla, A. Pandey, B. Das, and A.C. Bharti (2012). Anticancer property of Bryophyllum pinnata (Lam.) Oken. leaf on human cervical cancer cells. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine Vol. 12, issue. 15. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6882-12-15
-  S.E Atawodi, and J.C Atamodi. Azadirachta indica (Neem): A plant of multiple biological and pharmacological activities. Phytochemistry reviews Vol. 8, issue 3, pp. 601-620, 2009
-  E. Amri and F. Mamboya. Papain, a plant enzyme of biological importance: a review. American Journal of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 99-104, 2012
-  Chao and Linn. Isolation and Identification of bioactive compounds in Andrographis paniculata (chuanxinlian). Chinese medicine. Vol. 5, no. 17. 2010. Doi:10.1186/1749-8546-5-17
-  M.D. Moreira, M.C. Picanco, R.N. Guedes, E.C. Barros, and M.R. Campos. Compounds from Ageratum conyzoides: isolation, structural elucidation and insecticidal activity. Pest Management of Science. Vol. 63, no. 6, pp. 615-21, 2007
-  V. Kuete, K.O. Eyong, G.N Folefoc, V.P. Beng, H. Hussain, K. Krohn, and A.E. Nkengfack, Antimicrobial activity of the methanolic extract and of the chemical constituents isolated from Newbouldia laevis. Pharmazie. Vol. 62, no. 7, pp. 552-556, 2007
-  A.A. Magid, P.A. Yao-Kouassi, D.P.A. Gossan, C. Mairot, and L. Voutquenne-Nazabadioko. New Antioxidant Flavonoids from the Aerial Parts of Secamone Afzelii. Journal of Antioxidant Activity. Vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 8-16, 2016
-  G.O Anyanwu, N. Ur-Rehman, C.E. Onyeneke, and K. Rauf. Medicinal plants of the genus Anthocleista - A review of their ethnobotany, phytochemistry and pharmacology. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. Vol. 175: pp. 648–667, 2015
-  P.K Lunga, J.D. Tamokou, S.P.C. Fodouop, J. Kuiate, J. Tchoumboue, and D. Gatsing. Antityphoid and radical scavenging properties of the methanol extracts and compounds from the aerial part of Paullinia pinnata. Springerplus 3, 302, 2014
-  K.O Otun, D.B Onikosi, A.T. Ajiboye, and A.A. Jimoh. Chemical Composition, Antioxidant and Antimicrobial Potentials of Icacina trichantha Oliv. Leaf Extracts. Research Journal of Phytochemistry, Vol 9, pp. 161-174, 2015
-  B.M Dinnimath, S.S. Jalalpure, and U.K Patil. Antiurolithiatic activity of natural constituents isolated from Aerva lanata. Journal of Ayurveda and integrative medicine. Vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 226-232. 2017
-  B. Chithambo, R.W.M. Krause and X.S Noundou. Anti-malarial synergy of secondary metabolites from Moringa lucida Benth. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. Vol. 199, pp. 91-96, 2017
-  Nomenclature of organic chemistry: IUPAC Recommedations and Preferred Names 2013. (Blue book). Cambridge: The royal Society of Chemistry. 2014. P. 908. doi:10.1039%2F9781849733069-FP001
-  Q. Wu, J. Patocka, E. Nepovomova, and K. Kuca. Jatropha Gossypifolia L. and its Biologically active metabolites: A mini review. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 24; 234: 197-203. doi: 10.1016/j.jep.2019.01.022
-  A.O Ayoka, O. Rotimi, S.K.D. Bamitale, and R.O Akomolafe. Effect of Fractionated extracts and isolated pure compounds of Spondia mombin (L. Anarcadiaceae) Leaves on Novelty induced Rearing and Grooming Behaviours in Mice. African Journal of Traditional Complementary and Alternative Medicine. Vol. 10, issue 5, pp. 244-255, 2013.
-  F. Stickel, E. Patsenker, and D. Schppan. Herbal hepatotoxicity. Journal of Hepatology Vol. 43, pp. 901–910, 2005
-  M. Yadav, S. Chatterji, S.K. Gupta, G. Watal. Preliminary phytochemical screening of six medicinal plants used in traditional medicine. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. Vol. 6, issue 5, pp. 539-542, 2014
-  B. Patwardhan, A.D.B. Vaidya, M. Chorghade. Ayurveda and Natural Products Drugs Discovery. Current Science. Vol. 86, issue 6, pp. 789-799, 2004
-  B. Dash, B.K. Sharma. Charak Samhita. 7th ed. Varanasi (India): Chaukhamba Sanskrit Series, 2001.
-  A.M. Clark. Natural products as a source for New Drugs. Pharmaceutical Research. Vol. 13, issue 8, pp. 1133-1141, 1996
-  M. Wink. Introduction: Biochemistry, Physiology and Ecological Functions of Secondary Metabolites, Second Edition Annual Plant Reviews, 2010, 40
-  K.P Sanjoy and Y. Shukla. Herbal medicine: Current status and the future. Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prev. Vol. 4, pp. 281-288, 2003
-  V. Sheetal and S.P Singh. Current trends in plants in plant diseases diagnostics and management practices. Journal of Experimental Biology Vol 3, pp. 128-135, 2008